DTT Will Close to New Postings

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Marina

Re: DTT Will Close to New Postings

#11 Post by Marina » 2 weeks ago

Hi Apollos

The wonderful thing about this site is that you can have a conversation here - of sorts. It can be personal and there's no one lording it over you and you can pop in and out when you want.

Being a moderator takes the joy away for anyone. It is tough.

Before I started making my video I was doing some timeline for stuff https://www.olam2.com/ (site takes a while to load and you might have to hit return twice) - this is an experiment so please don't take any dates you see as accurate!

Now, I am not that keen to do anything technical yet as I am tired, but I am willing to do something if it is within my power to help.

Several others have nice websites and I wonder if this could be a place where conversations are had and ratings are given to specific content along with collections of links to outside sources. Let alone Bible verses. Couldn't the id of a Bible verse itself become a pointer to collections of quality content?

Also people like the stuff that THEY like talking about. But when you are chatting, and someone comes in with Godzilla size post that takes a month of Sundays to step through, you can't easily comment on it can you. You kind of want a bullet point statement, like a headline. Then a brief overview paragraph, then fuller details. You also want a Stranger flag for comments that take time to read and result in perplexity.

I'm not thinking of a big project but a very small easily achieved step. Not sure what that would be. Maybe you have an idea.

And thanks for keeping this site up and running. As all the comments are showing, you and your site mean a lot more to us than you think.

:flowers:
Marina

coccus ilicis

#12 Post by coccus ilicis » 2 weeks ago

apollos0fAlexandria wrote: 2 weeks ago Hi Amos (and others who were looking for clarification).

It will be closed to any new postings, but for now at least I do not intend to remove the site, so existing content should still be available.

I'm not making any decisions beyond that, so it's possible it might open up for community discussion again in the future. But that would only happen if there was the possibility of a commited moderation team (even a small one) who would uphold the intended values of the site and ensure that posted content met a continuous standard worthy of those who would be disciples of Jesus Christ.

That is a fairly weighty responsibility. It demands a decent amount of time and attention, and at present we just don't have the bandwidth to maintain such a model.

I do appreciate that many here have been quite good at self regulating, but the nature of forums means that they cannot be left to chance, even for short periods of time. Free speech is a wonderful and necessary thing, but it needs to be used very skillfully by every person on a truly Christian web site. I myself have not been exemplary in this regard in the past, and some significant changes in my life over the past while have moved me to reconsider the responsibility that comes with running a site like this.

Thank you all for your understanding in these matters.

Best,
Apollos
Hello Apollos

Thank you for your hard work and unbiased control.

What nagged at me was the question, who owns the site and has the power to shut it down?

I did a bit of research and what I found is in post 179, here. If what I found is correct then the DDT may well come on stream again soon. Speaking of the two witnesses Rev 11:8,9,11 says: ... and the corpse of them will be on the broadway of the great city, which in a spiritual sense is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was also impaled. And the people of the nations will look on their corpses for three and a half days and they did not let their corpses be laid in a tomb ... And after three and a half days the spirit of life from God entered into them and they stood on their feet, and great fear fell upon those beholding them,.

However long that period of three and a half days turns out to be, WE WILL BE BACK.
LRW~

Stranger

#13 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

Marina wrote: 2 weeks ago but I am willing to do something if it is within my power to help.
Hi Marina,

The new guy here, Matthew is the Name. I need help, what would it take to transpose my name into Stranger's spot (as he requested). so that we can all slowly forget the Designer of your symbolic flag proposal.

Also, Stranger wanted me to send you his best before he took off. He told me "That's what it always took for her", said you'd know what he means. :)

AmosAU

#14 Post by AmosAU » 2 weeks ago

Greetings everyone.

For the record, just in case any wish to email me directly if unable to message here. My email is; rendroc1945@gmail.com

I have posted this email here before but have again for ease of reference. Please feel free to email at any time.

Regards, Amos.

AmosAU

#15 Post by AmosAU » 2 weeks ago

Hi Apollos,

Thanks for clarifying your intentions.

This doesn't help however, as Marina has said in her response in this thread.

We are at a most critical time of world history. People like ourselves AND all others seeking release from spiritual bondage to the WTS OR any other cult or denomination are seeking a safe place to fellowship. If this website is substantially restricted OR shuts down, it ceases to do what the original intention was for it's very being. This is not a light thing, it could be a life saver for any who may have had to it in the future.

I would be happy to help any way I can, BUT I have other resposibilities that do not allow this to be. As many here will know, I'm a writer as is CI.

I've been in the wilderness for over a year now, hidden away from most influences (even though I checked the forum most days). I've been sitting quietly with YHWH during this time. It's now time for me to put my learning into writing.

Some things that I've been shown are ground breaking, and are being confirmed by other believers that I know. There is a huge working of the Spirit around the world at this time.

I know and understand the demands of running a forum and respect how you must feel about this responsibility.

Kind regards, Amos.

lynchpin

#16 Post by lynchpin » 2 weeks ago

Thank you, apollos,

'It will be closed to any new postings, but for now at least I do not intend to remove the site, so existing content should still be available.

I'm not making any decisions beyond that, so it's possible it might open up for community discussion again in the future. But that would only happen if there was the possibility of a commited moderation team (even a small one) who would uphold the intended values of the site and ensure that posted content met a continuous standard worthy of those who would be disciples of Jesus Christ.'

It is certainly a heavy responsibility in the daily operation of a forum.
I have enjoyed having a small part in the time since I joined. There's some wonderful discussions here.
It's good to know the existing content will still be available.

Many regards,
lynchpin

Bruno

#17 Post by Bruno » 1 week ago

Hi Apollos,

I hope you and your family are doing well!

Very sad news the site is closing. Lots of great memories! I thought I would get one last post in for old times sake :) Maybe sometime in the future you will resurrect it. I truely appreciate all your hard work in keeping it going for so long.

I still can't get over Bobcat passing away.

I hope you are doing well Matthew
Karl

Stranger

#18 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

Bruno wrote: 1 week ago I hope you are doing well Matthew

Hello Karl,

It's been a grapple (in fleshly terms).

Spiritually speaking. I wouldn't be able to say that.

In the end I feel elevated for 'holding my own" and not letting some stranger snatch it from my hand.

Thank you, my friend!

(Jos 24:15)

Marina

#19 Post by Marina » 1 week ago

Stranger wrote: 2 weeks ago Hi Marina,
The new guy here, Matthew is the Name. I need help, what would it take to transpose my name into Stranger's spot (as he requested). so that we can all slowly forget the Designer of your symbolic flag proposal.
Also, Stranger wanted me to send you his best before he took off. He told me "That's what it always took for her", said you'd know what he means. :)
Hello Matthew - is your second name Legion? Or is that your 8th name?

In answer to your question and without actually knowing the code to this site - I assume it is written in PHP because of what it says at the bottom of the page. The PHP code will be integrating information stored in a database (a MYSQL or MariaDB database maybe or SQLite???) That is where the name 'Stranger' will be stored. Likely there is a table called something like 'Users' or some gobbledeegook that means 'a table of users'. A table is rows and colums ok. In one colum I expect there to be an id number for 'Stranger'. A number that nobody else has. But if that number is shared, there should be a unique code (ie a text field with 34x_00_gobbledeegook or something like that) for 'Stranger'. Got it?

Right what you do is you find where it says 'Stranger' then backspace x8 and type in 'Matthew'.

The User Name table with be related (via the unique number or code) to another table named 'Posts' or some gobbledeegook that means 'a table of posts'. Using a query (ie a piece of SQL code) you can retrieve all posts written by the id that carried the name 'Stranger'. Then do a find and replace on the actual word 'Stranger' within the posts. Of course that would mess up some sentences - so even if you wrote some clever code, you'd have to do a final check by eye. A bit of an onerous tasks - one that would keep you occupied for a bit.

No I don't know what Stranger meant. How about a Stranger Matthew flag?
Marina

Stranger

#20 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

Marina wrote: 1 week ago Hello Matthew - is your second name Legion? Or is that your 8th name?
Hi,

No, just my first as an infant.
Marina wrote: 1 week ago A number that nobody else has.
Thank God for that.
Marina wrote: 1 week ago No I don't know what Stranger meant.
That's okay, he knew that too.
Marina wrote: 1 week agoGot it?
Yes, and thank you!