Back in print

Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Marina

Re: Back in print

#11 Post by Marina » 10 months ago

Three elders stood around me. They looked each other in the eye. You are alright for money? Each one nodded at the other. They were that much taller than me, I had to look up to all of them. Not one of them looked down. I waited. I had no money. In the end you learn to live on the edge. You learn a lot about people, their kindness and how Jehovah rescues you.

But I cannot understand why people would ever give money to animal charities when under their noses poverty exists in their fellow man. Why not take that fistful of dollars and just shove it in the hand of someone near you. Give it to the person on the till in the shop or the bus driver. Or the person who works at the tip or anybody on low pay.

Even in my situation I have things to give to others and I am delighted to think of them enjoying whatever I gave them. It is a pleasure. And it was how I was brought up. I think it might be one of the reasons why, where I live, used to be one of the places in UK with the highest quality of life. It was considered rude to even mention money.

Because of this I was naively taken advantage of by Watchtower. But I realised what they were doing in the end. They'd take the few things of value I had and ensure they gave nothing back. Now they get nothing. I can be like that :D
Marina

Stranger

#12 Post by Stranger » 10 months ago

Marina wrote: 10 months ago But I cannot understand why people would ever give money to animal charities when under their noses poverty exists in their fellow man. Why not take that fistful of dollars and just shove it in the hand of someone near you. Give it to the person on the till in the shop or the bus driver. Or the person who works at the tip or anybody on low pay.
Stranger wrote: 10 months ago So, IMO, do the right thing if you're planning on buying this book that will leave you empty feeling, take and donate your money to a worthy cause instead. Jehovah will be so much more happy with you and you can take that to the bank, I guarantee it.
(Ps 36:6) among many other reasons is why!!

Stranger

Marina

#13 Post by Marina » 10 months ago

Yes I get that. But.. hey.
Marina

Stranger

#14 Post by Stranger » 10 months ago

Marina wrote: 10 months agoBut.. hey
Hey hey, how are you?

I know what you're saying Marina, and I do give to the needy. I also give to street people when I see them. Not all of them, mostly just the ones that have very worn out shoes.

I was talking to this pan-handler a good many years ago and he told me to always look at the person's shoes before you give and that will give you a good indication on how bad they need it.

Stranger

Marina

#15 Post by Marina » 10 months ago

Thing is when you are on a low wage very likely the money you have is going on rent and fuel. Of course you need shoes and likely someone will give you some and you will look smart.

(Psalm 37:25-26) . . .A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, And yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, Nor his offspring looking for bread. 26 All day long he is showing favor and lending, And so his offspring are in line for a blessing.

We didn't have much for clothes, especially pioneering. You saved what you had to get to the conventions or get medical treatment. But I remember one day a sister started doing rumble sales. You didn't really buy anything but sisters who had masses of clothes brought them to someone's house and you could take what you wanted. It was very kind of them and great fun. From the same vast quantity of clothes we had several rumbles. And still the one arranging it had to take home a great load and stuff it all under her bed. I don't think we ever got through it all.

I remember another lovely time when we were all out doing evening ministry - people kept on giving us biscuits and chocolate. Masses of it. We came back with bag loads. It was often like that. I'd return home with flowers, cakes and all sorts.

But I noticed a change once, these rich people they were very welcoming and I think, on my own I would have been invited in. But the one I was with was being very cult-like. The man had picked some raspberries and it looked as if he wanted to hand us the raspberries but he held back and looked awkward. I didn't blame him. I could understand why he did not want us back but it looked so much like he wanted to be kind.

I used to do a study with another sister and but the householder never offered us any refreshments. It didn't bother me but the other sister noticed. Once I had got out of the cult, I returned to my study, explained and apologized. She didn't mind. Said she always knew I wasn't one of them. Every time I go round now I get refreshments. I don't ask for it or expect it. I just notice this radically different welcome born of friendship. I get fresh filtered coffee.
Marina

Stranger

#16 Post by Stranger » 10 months ago

Marina wrote: 10 months ago . Said she always knew I wasn't one of them. Every time I go round now I get refreshments. I don't ask for it or expect it. I just notice this radically different welcome born of friendship. I get fresh filtered coffee.
Marina,

If I'm correct you were not a born-in and only lost around 15 to 20yrs of your life dedicating yourself to them, would that be right or close to right?

Was the sister you co hosted the study with a born-in?

Stranger

Orchid61

#17 Post by Orchid61 » 10 months ago

Matteüs 6:32–33 (ESV): 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
And this has been true what Jesus said.

God will provide indeed 🐑

Love Maria 🤗