Interesting Stuff

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - Counterfeit US Stamps

#621 Post by Bobcat » 8 months ago

Many JWs have turned to writing letters for their ministry. Here in the US I only recently found out that many of the JWs are getting their postal stamps from online sources and at very discounted rates (50 % off or so).

I don't blame them for wanting to save money. But, as it turns out, according to the USPS (United States Postal Service) these heavily discounted stamps are most likely counterfeits, mostly originating from China.

Here is a link to the Postal Services Inspector site, including a brief YouTube video on the topic.

Bobcat

Proselytiser of Jah

Re: Interesting Stuff

#622 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 8 months ago

Interesting documentary about Constantine and the influence upon the early church and its practices

"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Proselytiser of Jah

#623 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 8 months ago

Breaking discovery of Bible Archeology.

They've discovered the oldest Hebrew inscription to date, going back to the bronze age, and it contains God's name in the form of "YHW" on Mt Ebal, which also confirms several Bible passages, such as "the curse of Mt Ebal" and there being evidence for Joshua's altar.

https://biblearchaeology.org/current-ev ... ever-found
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Proselytiser of Jah

#624 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 7 months ago

This was an interesting video, and I learned some little things I wasn't aware of before.

The part that really interested me was that it mentioned the symbolism of the temple layout was meant to represent walking back into the garden of Eden, as the garden was in the east, and to walk into the temple, one had to walk east (as the temple faced west). The cherubs on the curtain which divided off the most-holy section, representing the cherubs which guarded the garden of Eden when Adam and Eve were thrown out. Thus, approaching God in the temple representing walking back into the garden to attain life, by means of the promised covenant, as contained in the ark.

Marina

#625 Post by Marina » 6 months ago

Hello PoJ

Regarding your video on Solomon's Temple Explained the presenter does not get the pictures of the cherubim right. Nor has he even written a note of correction over the pictures.

The cherubs on the curtain are 2 legged. So are the kneeling cherubs on the cover of the Ark of the Covenant.

When the doors open at the 8:54 mark - there are supposed to be two massive cherubs in the Holy of Holies but that video is showing two massive sphinxes with 4 legs each wearing one-legged trousers.

They look both Egyptian and Persian. They also look Assyrian but definitely nothing to do with the Temple King Solomon was allowed to construct for Jehovah.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383720830 ... /?mt=login

Here are some similar sphinxes along with the symbol for Ahura Mazda— the caption states that this is from the palace of the Persian king Darius I at Susa. That Ahura Mazda emblem is found on early WT literature.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/734931232957835843/

Here is another sphinx or lamassu from the time of Sargon II. Sargon II is mentioned in the Bible here:-
(Isaiah 20:1) . . .In the year that Tartan came to Ashdod, when Sargon the king of Assyria sent him, and he proceeded to war against Ashdod and to capture it;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Assyr ... hicago.jpg

In the Bible, Jehovah is described as being above the cherubs. The hope for us is that God's tent will be with us, not his temple.

(Revelation 21:3-4) . . .With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. . .

(Revelation 21:22) And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

And there wont be any disgusting sphinxes there.

(Revelation 21:27) . . .But anything not sacred and anyone that carries on a disgusting thing and a lie will in no way enter into it; only those written in the Lamb’s scroll of life [will].
Marina

Proselytiser of Jah

#626 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 6 months ago

Marina wrote: 6 months ago Hello PoJ

Regarding your video on Solomon's Temple Explained the presenter does not get the pictures of the cherubim right. Nor has he even written a note of correction over the pictures.

The cherubs on the curtain are 2 legged. So are the kneeling cherubs on the cover of the Ark of the Covenant.

When the doors open at the 8:54 mark - there are supposed to be two massive cherubs in the Holy of Holies but that video is showing two massive sphinxes with 4 legs each wearing one-legged trousers.

They look both Egyptian and Persian. They also look Assyrian but definitely nothing to do with the Temple King Solomon was allowed to construct for Jehovah.
Yes, I'm fully aware. :)

The uploader claimed that the reason they chose those depictions of the cherubs was based on historical evidence and archaeology of the time. I agree that it is questionable however, and that the Israelite depiction of cherubs was most likely not akin to the nations around them.

Marina

#627 Post by Marina » 6 months ago

Its more than questionable. The description in the Bible is nothing like the video. The cherubim looked like men but had straight feet with hooves like a calf.

(Ezekiel 10:21) . . .As for the four, [each] one had four faces and [each] one had four wings, and the likeness of the hands of earthling man was under their wings. . .

(Ezekiel 1:5-11) . . .And out of the midst of it there was the likeness of four living creatures, and this was how they looked: they had the likeness of earthling man. 6 And [each] one had four faces, and [each] one of them four wings. 7 And their feet were straight feet, and the sole of their feet was like the sole of the foot of a calf; and they were gleaming as with the glow of burnished copper. 8 And there were the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides, and the four of them had their faces and their wings. 9 Their wings were joining one to the other. They would not turn when they went; they would go each one straight forward. 10 And as for the likeness of their faces, the four of them had a man’s face with a lion’s face to the right, and the four of them had a bull’s face on the left; the four of them also had an eagle’s face. 11 That is the way their faces were. And their wings were spreading out upward. Each one had two joining to each other, and two were covering their bodies.
Marina

Proselytiser of Jah

#628 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 6 months ago

Marina wrote: 6 months ago Its more than questionable. The description in the Bible is nothing like the video. The cherubim looked like men but had straight feet with hooves like a calf.

I know. As I said, the uploader claims this was the "original cherubim" which predate the visions of Ezekiel, and says that this is how all the nations in the area used to depict such creatures. Of course, obviously I think that is poor reasoning, using the surrounding nations as a guide to what Israelites cherubs would have looked like, as opposed to the Bible's own descriptions.

I do not promote this videos' depiction of the cheubs. I only found the info about the symbolism interesting related to Eden was all.

(It's a shame, because this video is the best quality animation I've seen on youtube of the temple)

Marina

#629 Post by Marina » 6 months ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 6 months agoI know.
Ok :D

Yes I have noticed that some really good quality videos carry subliminal dodgy stuff. Guess it is the old Watchtower tactic (even if they are not WT) of bait with devil in the detail.

I suggest the the stuff about Eden is probably Eden yes, but not as we know it. Rather Eden with dinosaurs red in tooth and claw, draughty, grey and dismal. I only say that cause of other stuff I have seen. I appreciate that thought is not in your video. Also while trying to dig out pictures for you (that I linked to) I even saw suggestions that the cherubim were aliens. :roll: Let's not go there eh? You can see how easy it would be to make a sci fi movie out of the Bible if you really, really want to.

(Genesis 15:13) 13 And he began to say to Abram: “You may know for sure that your seed will become an alien resident in a land not theirs, and they will have to serve them, and these will certainly afflict them for four hundred years. . .

Isr aliens. :roll: No they are not and never were a bunch of ETs.
Marina

Vintage

#630 Post by Vintage » 6 months ago

Proselytiser of Jah, I saw this comment of yours and joined this forum to be able to follow up on it.
"I have respect for brother Penton, though of course, I do not agree 100% with all of his theological positions (for example his comments on polygamy "not being a sin")."
Could you tell me please where to find brother Penton's comments on polygamy "not being a sin"? I found him implying this in a video on Eric Wilson's channel. Can you help me find him commenting on polygamy elsewhere? ... maybe in one of his books or in an interview with someone else?