How did this start?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
FriendlyDoggo

How did this start?

#1 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 11 months ago

Just a curiosity, how did this community get started? who discovered Strong's numbers, Bible Hub, etc?
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

Bobcat

Re: How did this start?

#2 Post by Bobcat » 11 months ago

If you mean the DTT forum, I think it was an offshoot of the Beroean Pickets web site.

For Strong's numbering, see here. There is a newer numbering system called Goodrick-Kohlenberger (or GK) that is used in more academic settings, but Strong's has never lost its popularity among the masses. It's the numbering system of the common man/woman. :whistle:

Bobcat

Proselytiser of Jah

#3 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 11 months ago

Bobcat wrote: 11 months ago If you mean the DTT forum, I think it was an offshoot of the Beroean Pickets web site.

That's how I discovered it, as I was on his website searching for forums where the brothers there may have associated with one another, I forgot where, but there was a link. It appears that this forum may not be associated with BP now though from what I can see. Whether they have a different forum or some kind of chat room (besides their zoom meetings - which I admit I'd like to sit in on one day, if I ever catch the right time, lol) I can't say.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

apollos0fAlexandria

#4 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 11 months ago

Hi FD & co

Yes, this site was originally set up for open discussion at a time when BP was also complimentary and starting to grow. And in many ways I still see it as complimentary. It's nice to be able to comment on articles/videos from Meleti and others over there, but I see this as a place where we can have open discussion on any topic (not just the posted articles).

As far as finding the resources you mention I think that this site mostly attracts people who genuinely want to study the Bible, so a lot of that is just naturally brought to the table by our fellow members. But I do have to give a big shout-out to Bobcat in particular on not only providing a lot of verifiable solid research material, but also being so kind as to extensive interlink our topics so that it can potentially serve as a research resource also. Nobody asked that from Bobcat. He's a really kind and spiritual person who generously has contributed this for everyone's benefit.

And then we have other members - both long and short-term - who have all brought their own unique perspectives to the site, as well as some essential humour (you all know who you are :D ).

Best to all,
Apollos

Proselytiser of Jah

#5 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 11 months ago

apollos0fAlexandria wrote: 11 months ago Hi FD & co

But I do have to give a big shout-out to Bobcat in particular on not only providing a lot of verifiable solid research material, but also being so kind as to extensive interlink our topics so that it can potentially serve as a research resource also. Nobody asked that from Bobcat. He's a really kind and spiritual person who generously has contributed this for everyone's benefit.

And then we have other members - both long and short-term - who have all brought their own unique perspectives to the site, as well as some essential humour (you all know who you are :D ).

Best to all,
Apollos
Yes, that's very much appreciated. :)

And speaking of personalities, it would be nice to get to know people as individuals as well, not just speaking about Bible topics, but social fellowship too. It's hard to express one's full persona when you're on a forum dedicated (mostly) to a single subject.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Orchid61

#6 Post by Orchid61 » 11 months ago

Hi Apollos,

Thank you for this website you provide and many others for making DTT what it is.

Love to all 🥰
Maria

FriendlyDoggo

#7 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 11 months ago

Thanks to everyone for answering :)

It's so good to have this community.

Acts 2:46-47
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

apollos0fAlexandria

#8 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 11 months ago

Orchid61 wrote: 11 months ago Hi Apollos,

Thank you for this website you provide and many others for making DTT what it is.

Love to all 🥰
Maria
Thank you Maria. Positive feedback means a lot.

As long as this remains a safe and healthy place for Christians and those interested in Christianity, then I see value in it. Of course anyone from any background is welcome as well as long as all observe forum guidelines.

I wish I could be more of a contributor these days, and am hoping that my circumstances will change to make that possible.

Best,
Apollos

apollos0fAlexandria

#9 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 11 months ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 11 months ago And speaking of personalities, it would be nice to get to know people as individuals as well, not just speaking about Bible topics, but social fellowship too. It's hard to express one's full persona when you're on a forum dedicated (mostly) to a single subject.
I know that connections through this forum have led to some "in person" connections (myself included). Anonymity and privacy is very important to most people on this site (for obvious reasons if you are a JW). Even so, you can use the Private Messages function to strike up a private conversation with anyone. Don't take a lack of reply as disinterest of course. Sometimes people just don't use PM, so it's perfectly fine in the context of a quote to publicly reply to post by "Hi [friend], I sent you a PM on this". The person will do with that what they will, but sometimes it opens the door to meeting people online or in person.

I'm not sure if you attend BP meetings, but I would think that your theological and world-view aligns pretty closely with the group. Many people in those meetings have moved on from anonymity, and so it may be that you'd find that social element there.

Just my 2c,
Apollos

Vintage

#10 Post by Vintage » 3 months ago

ApollosofAlexandria, Do you have a list of Zoom meetings for Christians? Non-jw, of course. I believe certain teachings, and there are certain teachings that I don’t believe. I’ve visited quite a few zoom groups, but I need to keep looking. Each group, so far, either teaches something that I don’t believe, or else has a problem with some few talking too much and too long,... with the host apparently fine with it.