How Old Was Jesus when he Died?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

How Old Was Jesus when he Died?

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 2 weeks ago

So this is a subject I want to discuss, as it has impacts on several things in scripture, such as the timing of certain biblical events, prophecy (such as Daniel's 70 weeks, etc). I do not want tradition to get in the way, but to have an objective look at scripture and history both.

Typically, most people date Jesus' death between 30AD-33AD. And Jesus' death age typically ranges between 30-36.

Some however, based on the words of the Jews who said "you are not yet 50" have interpreted that to mean he must have been in his 40s, something like 40-43. Historical Christian writer, Irenaeus, in fact suggested this himself.

And there are two ways this can affect scripture. Either he was born earlier (so he could still die between somewhere 30-33AD) or, he died at a later date... or a combination of both.

As brother Kerry pointed out me in a chat we had, certain years are not possible for Jesus' death to have happened, as Jesus rising on the third day would have to coincide with the "first day of the week", which rules out years such as 31AD.

But the third day landing on the first day of the week, from between the commonly estimated dates, makes it possible for the following: 30AD, 33AD.

Now, on the basis of these dates, if Jesus was in his 40s, let's say 40-45 at the most for the sake of generosity. If we calculate from 33AD (the most popular of the two options):

33AD - 40 = 7 B.C
33AD - 41 = 8 B.C
33AD - 42 = 9 B.C
33AD - 43 = 10 B.C
33AD - 44 = 11 B.C
33AD - 45 = 12 B.C

Clearly, it would seem that 40-41 years old, might not be too off the wall, as the 7-8 B.C is rather close to the traditionally suggested dates of his birth... , which are typically between 6-4 B.C Beyond that, however, gets a bit whacky, and even more so if we date Jesus' death at 30AD, but nonetheless, I do not wish to rule out the possibilities, and so it should be kept in view (but in combination with other biblical facts, scriptures and historical events in order to rule out falsehoods).

It should be known that Pontius Pilate is known to have ruled Judea from AD 26–36, so this gives us up to 36AD for the possible date of his death. This moves me on to an interesting commentary I read, in the Hugh J Schonefield translation of the New Testament. He states thus:
"...two different accounts of his birth given in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke... cannot be reconciled despite noble efforts of staunch Christian scholars. Matthew makes Jesus to have been born between 7-6 B.C, some two years before the death of Herod the Great, whilst Luke claims he was born at the time of the institution of the Roman Census under Quirinius as legate of Syria, A.D 6-7....

The present editor in his capacity as a historian... believes in dating the crucifixion.. AD 36, subsequent to the execution of John the Baptist in AD 35, Jesus would have then been 42-43..."
What people think of his thoughts, I'd be interested in hearing.

I would like to comment, that based on the Torah calander, it does not seem feasible that Jesus died AD 36, for the third day is not anywhere close to the first day of the week, therefore, that can be ruled out.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Proselytiser of Jah

Re: How Old Was Jesus when he Died?

#2 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 2 weeks ago

The other thing I forgot to mention, is that we also have to take into consideration the scriptures which say:

"Jesus Himself was about thirty years old when He began His ministry. He was regarded as the son of Joseph, the son of Heli" - Luke 3:23

So, obviously, if Jesus died at 40, that would mean his ministry would have been between anywhere from 10 years or less. But the common belief is that it was from between 1-3 years.

So either there are contradictions somewhere, misinformation, corrupted verses, or maybe it's possible that "about 30" Luke meant his "mid-late 30s", or simply, when the Jews said "you are not yet 50", may have been a figure of speech, as to denote old age and maturity.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

FriendlyDoggo

Re: How Old Was Jesus when he Died?

#3 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 2 weeks ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 2 weeks ago This moves me on to an interesting commentary I read, in the Hugh J Schonefield translation of the New Testament. He states thus:
"...two different accounts of his birth given in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke... cannot be reconciled despite noble efforts of staunch Christian scholars. Matthew makes Jesus to have been born between 7-6 B.C, some two years before the death of Herod the Great, whilst Luke claims he was born at the time of the institution of the Roman Census under Quirinius as legate of Syria, A.D 6-7....

The present editor in his capacity as a historian... believes in dating the crucifixion.. AD 36, subsequent to the execution of John the Baptist in AD 35, Jesus would have then been 42-43..."
Here, this might help:

https://jcalebjones.com/2020/10/27/solv ... ius/?amp=1
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.