Interesting Stuff

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - WT Counsel on How to View Rapist

#341 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Some advice from a 1984 Awake magazine regarding how a potential victim should view her would-be rapist: Here. This was being discussed on a Reddit thread. I'm sure you could imagine some of the comments this was eliciting.

But woe to the mentally diseased, demon inspired apostate that dares to disagree with the WT.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - Silent Treatment

#342 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Someone on Reddit took a snap of a portion of the June 2013 Awake in an article about using the silent treatment.

The article is discussing between a husband and wife. But the Reddit poster thought the reasoning in the article was ironic in connection with official WT shunning. Indeed, the reasoning used in the article concerning how shunning is a means to manipulate others and that it often causes resentment in the one being shunned would all seem to hold true for WT's official shunning policy.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - Pleiades, Location of Jehovah's Throne

#343 Post by Bobcat » 5 days ago

I had heard something about this older WT teaching about the location of Jehovah's throne. This web page gives some of the history about it.

There is brief mention of it in this Wikipedia article. The listed source leads to the link above.

I reckon that as time went on and mankind got a better understanding about the size of the universe, that that knowledge made this idea a bit quaint.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - Convention Badges

#344 Post by Bobcat » 2 days ago

Practical advice concerning convention badges :whistle: :

For some years now I always balked at advertising to people on the street that I was from out of town. Seemed like asking to be mugged.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - History of Awake Magazine

#345 Post by Bobcat » 7 hours ago

An interesting history of the Awake magazine which is possibly out of print for good: Here.

The Society hasn't officially declared the Awake to be a goner. But I wouldn't put it past them to quietly put Awake to sleep like that. It's their way of doing things: Quietly slide things in. Quietly slide them out. Maybe the friends won't notice.

If it is gone, at some point there will be the announcement that 'God has directed us to cease publication of Awake.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - Choose Your Apps Wisely

#346 Post by Bobcat » 6 hours ago

An article about a video produced by WT for JWs only: Here. It is an attempt to control what apps and web site JWs access or use.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Stuff - What Killed Rutherford?

#347 Post by Bobcat » 5 hours ago

It is not an uncommon thought that Joseph Rutherford drank himself to death. He saw prohibition in the USA as a satanic ploy (here). But here is an interesting video suggesting another possibility:

Bobcat