America is gonna fall!

Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Stranger

Re: America is gonna fall!

#11 Post by Stranger » 2 months ago

Marina wrote:
2 months ago
well they were very effective at getting the foreign troops to leave despite being poorly.
Hi Marina,

Perhaps it was the 'Man love Thursdays" that had the foreigners "tactically retrograding".

Stranger, (Judges 19:16-24)

Bobcat

#12 Post by Bobcat » 2 months ago

Hi Marina,

Here is another look at the pandemic in Afghanistan. Now this one makes me think the other headline was somewhat overdone.

Just venturing a guess, but I am thinking that Afghanistan, being largely rural, less densely populated, and not having as much interaction with the outside world might be some of the reasons the pandemic hasn't affected the country compared to some others.

Many (but not all) of the women also wear scarves over their mouths (Islamic fashion). I'm thinking that might naturally work towards protecting them.

Compared to the USA (and probably some other Western countries, there are probably very few 'super-spreader' events in Afghanistan. That might be another factor.

Another possible factor to consider is that, being relatively poor, infections might be very under-reported, and under-treated in the country. So the reported statistics might not reflect actual cases.

Just postulating on my part.

Bobcat

Bruno

#13 Post by Bruno » 2 months ago

Marina wrote:
2 months ago
Article dated June 17th - well they were very effective at getting the foreign troops to leave despite being poorly.
There is nothing poorly about the Taliban's belief in their ability to succeed.

Karl

Marina

#14 Post by Marina » 2 months ago

Well - the Taliban is getting results.

Bobcat regarding scarves - viruses spread in warm damp environments. They really are not a good idea. It was one of the first things a clinician told me when all this stuff started. She was nurse and explained that it went contrary to all she had been taught. In medical settings the facemasks are not worn to prevent the spread of a virus, any more than you would wear such a facemask to protect you from smoke inhalation.

The lungs are excretory organs and what you are breathing out you want away from you, not stuck on your face in a kind of nappy and breathing it back in.

Is a super-spreader event like a football match? If so, they've got a crazy new idea now - tags on the legs for the footballers. I'm trying to figure it out - if you are playing football, or even better rugby, do the players have to remain 6ft apart or siren goes off? Also I wonder if they have to keep stopping to sanitize the ball?

Looks like they do get together for football in Afghanistan.

And Buzkashi - it is their national sport.

Marina

Bruno

#15 Post by Bruno » 2 months ago

Marina wrote:
2 months ago

Bobcat regarding scarves - viruses spread in warm damp environments. They really are not a good idea. It was one of the first things a clinician told me when all this stuff started. She was nurse and explained that it went contrary to all she had been taught. In medical settings the facemasks are not worn to prevent the spread of a virus, any more than you would wear such a facemask to protect you from smoke inhalation.

The lungs are excretory organs and what you are breathing out you want away from you, not stuck on your face in a kind of nappy and breathing it back in.
Here is a second opinion on face masks. Even if you believe they only help 10%, it is still better than nothing. And used in conjunction with other measures add up to a beneficial weapon against covid.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... -use-masks

Masks should be used as part of a comprehensive strategy of measures to suppress transmission and save lives; the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19.

If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, stay safe by taking some simple precautions, such as physical distancing, wearing a mask, keeping rooms well ventilated, avoiding crowds, cleaning your hands, and coughing into a bent elbow or tissue. Check local advice where you live and work. Do it all!

Make wearing a mask a normal part of being around other people. The appropriate use, storage and cleaning or disposal of masks are essential to make them as effective as possible.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20485449

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes. Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends fabric masks for the general public. People who haven’t been fully vaccinated should continue to wear face masks in indoor public places and outdoors where there is a high risk of COVID-19 transmission, such as crowded events or large gatherings. The CDC says that N95 masks should be reserved for health care providers.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends medical masks for health care workers as well as for anyone who has or may have COVID-19 or who is caring for someone who has or may have COVID-19.
Karl

Bobcat

#16 Post by Bobcat » 2 months ago

Hi Marina,
Bobcat regarding scarves - viruses spread in warm damp environments. They really are not a good idea.

OK, I guess I'll try to resist the urge to put one on. (But don't say anything bad about my Burka. It goes good with these. :D ) (I only take the Burka off when I'm doing this. Or on zoom with Apollos.

Bobcat

apollos0fAlexandria

#17 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 2 months ago

Bobcat wrote:
2 months ago
OK, I guess I'll try to resist the urge to put one on. (But don't say anything bad about my Burka. It goes good with these. :D ) (I only take the Burka off when I'm doing this. Or on zoom with Apollos.
Haha Bobcat. It was nice to finally be able to take our "masks" off after all these years.

As far as Afghanistan, the pandemic may have been the perfect time to retake the country so quickly. To look at it from the Taliban perspective it's true that a percentage of them and the rest of the population may have been "poorly" or died. But in the big picture it's perhaps more important to think of it from the western perspective. Trump was already struggling with his own handling of Covid as a domestic crisis after the Doha agreement was worked out with the Taliban. The latter are not less smart than the Americans, so to seize the moment when their opponent was arguably at his most vulnerable makes sense. They also knew that the agreed to pull-out would be adhered to either way once the election race was down to Trump and Biden. They knew that the Americans government would act a certain way once the extension to the pull-out was agreed, because any backtracking would have probably led to another 20 years of the same old.

IMHO it's got nothing to do with whether some of the Taliban got sick. Overall, the pandemic still worked in their favor.

Apollos

Marina

#18 Post by Marina » 2 months ago

I think the pandemic has been great to protect children from child abuse too. One had been praying because of what she was enduring. Next day (and I mean the very next day), lockdown. Therefore removed from those abusing her.

Doesn't wear a facemask though, when that was put on she complained 'but I can't breath'.

Lots are saying with all this track and trace that the ones who need to be tracked and traced are the pedophiles. Should be achievable - after all if you can put leg tags on footballers, you could put them on criminals too and identify where they were.
Marina