Selling Water Rights

Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Marina

Selling Water Rights

#1 Post by Marina » 11 months ago

Congregations are to be asked to sell their water rights. I wonder who will be buying them?

I don't know what to make of it but did remind me of the scripture that Babylon sits on many waters.
Marina

Bobcat

Re: Selling Water Rights

#2 Post by Bobcat » 11 months ago

Hi Marina,

The details about this should be interesting.

Bobcat

Marina

#3 Post by Marina » 10 months ago

Hi Bobcat

I was trying to work out why anyone would buy water rights and have come to understand that in US they valuable. But it is different in Britain, we have no water rights because the US water rights are right to the underground water.

Britain has fishing rights and stuff like that but the water is just available through the tap.

Because I know little about this I don't know if what I have come to understand is true or not.

If anyone knows what the point of buying water rights are please let me know.
Marina

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 10 months ago

This page and this one may give some insight into what is involved with "water rights" within a USA context. (Here is a Google search listing that may give further information.)

For those who aren't aware, a certain exJW website often posts (or makes available) letters to elders. Apparently, someone has inside information available to them. A recent letter involved direction regarding the selling of a congregation's "water rights" with the proceeds being donated to the WT's "world wide work."

Prior to this I didn't know anything about "water rights." The letter gives no discussion about the whys of doing this. I suspect the WT is feeling an economic pinch and is scraping the bottom of the barrel for sources of income. But admittedly, that is just my impression/opinion. As usual, the WT explains nothing to the R&F beyond what they want them to know. I reckon that they assume that the truly brainwashed among the R&F will simply do as they are told.

Bobcat

lynchpin

#5 Post by lynchpin » 10 months ago

Indeed, money is their bottom line due to the selling off of kingdom halls from court appearances and the consequent payout to victims (of sexual abuse) is what I'm thinking.

Investing in water rights for a corporation such as the Wt will reline their dwindling pockets.

Water is becoming a scarce commodity from what I've been reading up on.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/06/water.asp

Stranger

#6 Post by Stranger » 10 months ago

lynchpin wrote:
10 months ago
Water is becoming a scarce commodity from what I've been reading up on.
Hi Lynchpin,

From what I've been reading you are absolutely correct, (Jn 5:3-4 KJV )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT30jj_L1Dc

Stranger, (Isa 3:1)

menrov

#7 Post by menrov » 10 months ago

The way it is stated in the resolution, it seems that the congregation (as legal entity??) own the water rights and to generate cash. the right should be sold. Does this mean that the ground on which the kingdom hall is built is also still owned by the congregation??
Still strange that the WT corporation is not acquiring the rights first and then sell. I guess it is to avoid any liabilities (pollution??) and are just interested in the proceeds.

There is an organisation called "Follow the money" ... would be nice if they were interested to "follow the donated money".

Marina

#8 Post by Marina » 10 months ago

It is a strange thing about this water - you see I'm thinking WHO would buy it? And yes water is in demand.

My ears pricked up recently when I heard something on the radio about, somewhere in Europe, I think. A village was having problems because a large house, (a monastery?) had not been developed as expected. Therefore there were problems with the flow of water to the village.

Not far from where I live, Sir Francis Drake set up reservoirs so that water went to Plymouth. Incidentally, the name Jehovah is all over the place in Plymouth. Anyway Sir Francis provided the water in the Elizabethan era.

So who owns the water and how it gets to you might be a future concern. Especially if we find it relates to Babylon the Great. And maybe it does.

(Mark 9:41-42)
For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink on the ground that you belong to Christ, I truly tell you, he will by no means lose his reward. 42 But whoever stumbles one of these little ones that believe, it would be finer for him if a millstone such as is turned by an ass were put around his neck and he were actually pitched into the sea. . .

I note however that water is not one of the things that the traveling merchants of the earth are selling.

(Revelation 18:11-14) . . .“Also, the traveling merchants of the earth are weeping and mourning over her, because there is no one to buy their full stock anymore....
Yes, the fine fruit that your soul desired has departed from you, and all the dainty things and the gorgeous things have perished from you, and never again will people find them.
Marina

Mrs.Tiggy

#9 Post by Mrs.Tiggy » 10 months ago

:eek:
Marina wrote:
10 months ago
Hi Bobcat

I was trying to work out why anyone would buy water rights and have come to understand that in US they valuable. But it is different in Britain, we have no water rights because the US water rights are right to the underground water.

Britain has fishing rights and stuff like that but the water is just available through the tap.

Because I know little about this I don't know if what I have come to understand is true or not.

If anyone knows what the point of buying water rights are please let me know.
Hi marina
We pay for our water if we access it via the tap, in the UK, but not if we access it via a well on our property. Many of my old relatives obtained their water this way and therefore didn't pay a water bill, metered or otherwise. Not sure how it works legally but I'm pretty sure we only have to pay for maintenance of pipes, reservoirs etc. Not for the water coming out of the clouds, as such, as it's seems to be the case in the USA in some states??!! As I think Mike mentioned? Very interesting subject, anyway! Who would have believed it! :eek:

Bobcat

#10 Post by Bobcat » 10 months ago

Welcome to the forum Mrs. Tiggy.

Sorry for the delay in posting. Your first three posts need moderator approval so it took a few hours before one of the mods was online.

Bobcat