What is a Jehovah's Witness?

Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Marina

What is a Jehovah's Witness?

#1 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

In today's Daily Mail there is an article about the Holocaust and it mentions one of Jehovah's Witnesses (Deliana Rademakers) who was put to death in the gas chambers.

Escape from Auschwitz

The term 'Jehovah's Witness' has enough semantic shift in it that it can mean a Jew or a Christian or a publisher of the Watchtower.

Watchtower's mis-used of God's name could allow them to say, "we are being accused by apostates of child abuse. It is all lies and this is really anti-Semitism."

If Watchtower try such a thing they should remember:-

(Proverbs 18:10) 10 The name of Jehovah is a strong tower. Into it the righteous runs and is given protection. . .

It is the righteous who are protected not the unrighteous.

Whether all the accusations of child abuse are true or not, they are certainly guilty of blasphemy and standing in opposition to Jehovah and His Son Jesus Christ.
Marina

RR144

Re: What is a Jehovah's Witness?

#2 Post by RR144 » 11 months ago

Problem is nowhere in the Scriptures does God give his people a name. He certainly didn't tell them "I will call you Jehovah's Witnesses". While he did say "Ye are my witnesses" in Isaiah 43:10, he was addressing the nation of Israel, and that was a description not a name. In the same way Jesus told his disciples "You will be my witnesses" John 14:16.

Let's consider something else …. in Isaiah 62:2 God tells Israel "Nations will see your righteousness and all kings, your glory. You will be called by a new name that the LORD's mouth will announce." and what exactly is that name? Is it Jehovah's Witnesses as the Society claims? No, because He said "ye are my witnesses" in Chapter 43, so here we are some 19 chapters later, when he tells them of a new name. In fact he tells them what that new name is in verse 4, "But you shall be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah". The New World Translation translated it literally to "My delight is in her". But we all know our Heavenly Father does not delight in the Society, as they misrepresent Him, both in name, deed and teachings.

RR

Genesis

#3 Post by Genesis » 11 months ago

Marina wrote:
1 year ago

The term 'Jehovah's Witness' has enough semantic shift in it that it can mean a Jew or a Christian or a publisher of the Watchtower.

Watchtower's mis-used of God's name could allow them to say, "we are being accused by apostates of child abuse. It is all lies and this is really anti-Semitism."
No. This is nonsensical. A reach too far.

Genesis

Marina

#4 Post by Marina » 11 months ago

Genesis wrote:
11 months ago
This is nonsensical.
Yes that's the point.
Marina

Genesis

#5 Post by Genesis » 11 months ago

Marina wrote:
11 months ago
Genesis wrote:
11 months ago
This is nonsensical.
Yes that's the point.
Nonsensical on your part not theirs. There is no evidence the Watchtower will ever claim antisemitism. This is a fantasy.

Genesis

Marina

#6 Post by Marina » 11 months ago

Fair enough if you disagree. I am saying the POTENTIAL is there for semantic shift. I am not saying they have done it.

But they do spin words and play with meaning.
Marina

Genesis

#7 Post by Genesis » 11 months ago

Marina wrote:
11 months ago
Fair enough if you disagree. I am saying the POTENTIAL is there for semantic shift. I am not saying they have done it.

There is no evidence they will ever claim antisemitism they are Christians. Christians cannot claim antisemitism. You are stretching.

Genesis

Marina

#8 Post by Marina » 11 months ago

Given antisemitism stems from the likes of Voltaire who said the history of the Abraham, Noah, Jacob etc should not be taught as it inevitably led to Jesus, antisemitism does affect Christians insofar as Jesus Christ was Jewish.

Some Jehovah's Witnesses went into the concentration camps along with the Jews.

In my Bible study it was explained to me that as the House of Jacob were Jehovah's Witnesses, the greatest Jehovah's Witness was Jesus Christ. Therefore the term Jehovah's Witness was being used as just another term for Christian.
Marina

AmosAu3

#9 Post by AmosAu3 » 11 months ago

Genesis wrote:
11 months ago
Marina wrote:
11 months ago

There is no evidence they will ever claim antisemitism they are Christians. Christians cannot claim antisemitism. You are stretching.

Genesis
Hi Genesis,

I think you should take a look into the real world! There are countless people who call themselves Christian who are extremely "antisemitic."

Living in the WTS, as most of us have done, insulates us from the rest of Christendom. You need to move around among others to get a better look at what other denominations believe.

Regards, Amos.

Genesis

#10 Post by Genesis » 11 months ago

Marina wrote:
11 months ago
Given antisemitism stems from the likes of Voltaire who said the history of the Abraham, Noah, Jacob etc should not be taught as it inevitably led to Jesus, antisemitism does affect Christians insofar as Jesus Christ was Jewish.

Some Jehovah's Witnesses went into the concentration camps along with the Jews.

In my Bible study it was explained to me that as the House of Jacob were Jehovah's Witnesses, the greatest Jehovah's Witness was Jesus Christ. Therefore the term Jehovah's Witness was being used as just another term for Christian.
Yes, Jesus was Jewish. Yes, some Bible Students/Jehovah's Witnesses went into the Concentration Camps. That, though, has NOTHING to do with your supposition that Jehovah's Witnesses will ever claim antisemitism. They are Christians.

Genesis