JW disfellowshipping of the repentant

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

JW disfellowshipping of the repentant

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 4 months ago

So, I'm sure people have come across this, but one thing that I've always found digusting for many years, even before I woke, was disfellowshipping repentant people just because they didn't admit to a sin they did years in the past but came out later.

In some cases I've known this to happen to people who comitted a sin over 10 years before the time they came out with it, and then were shunned for it.

The purpose of disfellowshipping is to move people to repentance and protect the Congregation from the allowance or influence of brazen sin. If a person has repented of a sin that nobody knew about, and was in the past, then there need be no action taken, and disfellowshipping someone who has already repented before God and has ceased their sin, is to disfellowship someone innocent.

Even if they did formally hide their sin, it was clearly not affecting the congregation at the time, the only person who was coming to harm was the sinner. The “purpose” of disfellowshipping, that is to encourage repentance, becomes moot in this circumstance because they 'have' repented, and in this case the shunning is merely “keeping tally” or “applying eye for an eye”, which breaks the commands of Jesus' “free forgiveness". The 'system' requires an arbitary penalisation of a certain "passage of time" to match the sin committed of the past.

Yehovah says he blots out our sin upon repentance, but the Organisation clearly does not, they make you pay for it, and thus may be something that the WT and certain Elders will face dire judgement for. I think anyone in the Org reading this needs to take into consideration the purpose of DFing and this scriptural warning:

Matthew 6:15, Matthew 7:2
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Proselytiser of Jah

Re: JW disfellowshipping of the repentant

#2 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 month ago

Thought I'd bump this thread due to the latest WT meeting article

This here was brought to my attention:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2021600#h=25
Consider an example. A brother commits adultery over a course of many years. Instead of seeking help, he conceals his immoral conduct from his wife, his friends, and the elders. Finally, he is exposed. When confronted with the evidence, he admits to what he has done and even seems to be very sorry. Is that sufficient? The elders handling such a case would surely need to see more than sorrow. This was not a momentary lapse of judgment but a wicked course that lasted for years. The wrongdoer did not voluntarily confess; he was exposed. So the elders would need to see evidence of genuine changes in the sinner’s thinking, feelings, and conduct. (Read 2 Corinthians 7:11.) It might take the man considerable time to make the needed changes. Very likely, he would be removed from the Christian congregation for a period of time.​—1 Cor. 5:11-13; 6:9, 10.

This right here is an extremely unbiblical application of disfellowshipping, it's disgusting and against what Christ arranged.

I will quote from my personal article on what disfellowshipping is to explain why this is so wrong (which I also linked in my other thread here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5652&p=49252&hilit= ... ing#p49252 )

https://proselytiserofjah.wordpress.com ... t-sinners/
What these Elders are practising when disfellowshipping someone for a “secret sin” they have since repented of, is “forgiving with a price”. Yehovah says when we repent, He blots out our sin from the record as if it never happened (Isaiah 43:25), so to disfellowship a repentant Christian because they “didn’t repent or confess in the past” would mean that an Elder is not following Yehovah, because they are not “blotting out his repented sin”. Instead, they are saying “forgiveness is attained through paying a price of confession, works and punishments” as opposed to free repentance through faith in the Anointed Saviour Jesus alone (Ephesians 2:8-9).

“Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses“ – Acts 13:38-39.

Forced confessionals and the disfellowshipping of repentant Christians on the basis of their “previously hidden sins” takes away the sacrifice of Jesus and reverts back to the Old Law Covenant where sinners had to approach the priest to confess and make a sacrifice on the altar (Leviticus 4:1-5:13; 6:24-30), but that law was nailed on the torture tree with Jesus’ death (Colossians 2:14). Thus, “confessional” based forgiveness (that is, confession before men), and punishing Christians for sins they committed previously but have since repented of before God, spits in the face of the Father, his Son Jesus, and his sacrifice.

“If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent“. – Matthew 12:7

Even if a Christian did try to hide their sins on purpose from the Congregation in order to not be disfellowshipped whilst living a life of wilful wickedness prior to their repentance, it is not any man’s place to judge, punish, repay or condemn them for this. Again, that is ‘not’ the purpose of disfellowshipping. Once a brother or sister has repented before God of their ill deeds, even if such were previously hidden to avoid public consequence, that is the end of matters.

Even if a Christian only repented of their sinful lifestyle because they were discovered or exposed in the act, and had in fact planned on living in sin forever in secret, this ‘still’ would not merit disfellowshipping, for this is the whole point of approaching our brother when caught in their sins. If they have repented and ceased what they are doing upon confrontation of their brothers, then Jesus tells us “we have gained our brother” (Matthew 18:15). One of the finest examples of this in fact is recorded in 2 Samuel 12, where the prophet Nathan went and “exposed” David’s secret sin, which was wilful. Upon such, David repented in the moment, and for that he was forgiven.

“Then Nathan said to David, ‘You are that man! … Why then have you despised the command of the Yehovah by doing evil in His sight? You put Uriah the Hittite to the sword and took his wife as your own, for you have slain him with the sword of the Ammonites… You have acted in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel… Then David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against Yehovah‘. “Yehovah has taken away your sin‘, Nathan replied. ‘You will not die‘”.
– 2 Samuel 12:7, 9, 12–13

In the end, Yehovah by means of his Anointed Son Jesus will be the one to judge all for things both open and hidden, not men (Matthew 7:1, Hebrews 10:26-31, 1 Corinthians 4:2-5, Ecclesiastes 12:14). Therefore, we all do well to keep in mind the true meaning of free forgiveness, and apply the law of disfellowshipping in an appropriate manner, and not as a means of scorn. Disfellowshipping is a means to encourage Christians to repentant before God and cease their willingly sinful lifestyle whilst protecting faithful ones from their potentially bad influence, it is not a means of payment or punishment for sin, that will be carried out by the Anointed Son, King Jesus with his Heavenly elect alone.

The Organisation teaches its elders to play "tit for tat". Jesus says "confront someone who sins" (be that a secret sin you have exposed or otherwise) and 'then' persuade him to change, and if they do, they have been gained! Does the Organisation of JWs teach this? No, they teach that a person who has been confronted/exposed, is to be shunned automatically, regardless of repentance and their cease of their actions!

To any JW seeing this, to the Governing Body also if you see this, please open your eyes and change your ways, and repent for disobeying Jesus' direct command on handling these matters.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23