Wife beating

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Marina

Wife beating

#1 Post by Marina » 1 month ago

Ever known women to be beaten by their husband who was an elder? I have. She was a sweet, kind gentle woman. Poor thing is dead now.

Even though the children and friends of the children reported it to the elders – the elders refused to believe them.

I also know of one who was married who was cruel to her. But they wanted to make him an elder, therefore when she complained to the elders, hoping for support, they told her she should become a better wife. Likely you know of similar experiences in your locale. In this case the woman committed suicide because she could take no more.

If you now look at this video, try to imagine the religious man without his head covering or beard. Put him in suit and imagine he is speaking at a convention. Which bits would be objected to and which bits would he just need to slightly reword?

Allah honours women with beatings

Here is a summary of some of the points he makes:-

Muhammad said: “Don’t beat her in the face, and do not make her ugly.” :deadhorse:
Even when the husband beats her, he must not curse her.
There must not be more than 10 beatings. (Time frame not specified – per year? Per month? Per day? Per hour?)
Husband must not break her bones or injure her (how does that work ?) break her teeth, or poke her in the eye.
There is a beating etiquette. If he is beating to discipline her (as opposed to what?) he must not raise his hand high. So what does he do? Raise it low?
He must beat her from chest level.
He can beat her with a short rod. :deadhorse:
Beatings are a last resort (after what? Berating? Humiliating? Hand-cuffing?) :-|
He is only allowed to beat her if she refuses to sleep with him. Well it’s not as if he can’t have 24+ other ‘wives’ plus some concubines is it.

In Watchtower’s favour at least it has printed information like this.
*** g01 11/8 pp. 6-7 Why Do Men Batter Women? ***

No Excuse for Battering

The above factors may help to explain spouse abuse, but they do not excuse it. Put simply, beating one’s mate is a gross sin in God’s eyes. In his Word, the Bible, we read: “Husbands ought to be loving their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself, for no man ever hated his own flesh; but he feeds and cherishes it, as the Christ also does the congregation.”—Ephesians 5:28, 29.
But sadly wife-beating goes on.
Marina

Proselytiser of Jah

Re: Wife beating

#2 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 month ago

It's a terrible thing. I can't imagine why a man would even want to beat his wife. The need for control and dominance is obviously at play here. A power complex. (Perhaps that's why he wanted to be an Elder too, but who knows...).
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Get out of her

#3 Post by Get out of her » 1 month ago

Wow!!! What an experience you shared here Marina. So incredibly heartbreaking! I also feel very bad for you since you knew this woman. And it was so infuriating to listen to the garbage spewing of the mouth of this Muslim religious leader! Since the Muslims evidently recognize at least much of the Bible as a point of divine authority, I sat there wondering if he ever stopped to imagine Abraham doing all these things to Sarah.

I'll insist these are simply among countless examples of the "breakdown" that always quickly begins to overtake even former worshipers of Jehovah when an act of spiritual adultery against the holy marriage covenant gives birth to or even TRANSFORMS what WERE God's people into a kind of "harlotrous DAUGHTER" of them. (Jer 8:11) (Eze 23:1-4) (Isa 1:21)

In my case I often remind myself of the scripture found at Ecclesiastes 5:8 just to continue coping at all with this Satanic world until our creator brings it back to the paradise he always intended it to be. It always helps me overcome urges such as wanting to beat this Muslim man "ten times" in precisely the way he is prescribing for husbands to do to their wives!

Agape love;
Sol

Marina

#4 Post by Marina » 1 month ago

Hi Sol - the elder in the first experience I mentioned took me through my baptism questions! :shock: I knew nothing of what was going on but as a newbie I was puzzled that this man was even an elder. There were many little things that he said and did which screamed to me that he was not even Christian. I guess this was the start of my beginning to realise something was seriously wrong with the organization. But I thought it was due to some people higher up being simple and naive and not getting what was going on. I thought (in fact I was told) that if anything was wrong, in time Jehovah would sort it out. For that reason I was not surprised when this elder was eventually removed as an elder and... ran off with another woman.

But he left cause he was sick of them. I think if he had chosen to cover his tracks he'd still be there now.

It was years later I found out how the elders had been told about the wife beating.

Anyway - yes Moslems - horrible set of values eh? Absolutely ZERO to do with Abraham. But if you pointed that out, I expect they'd call you apostate or similar. Probably tell you you were a hate crimer. To which the reply is 'yes I hate crime, don't you? I'm crimophobic to the point of kleptophobia. I've even theophobic providing it's the right 'theo'.' You've lost them then. And if they try to start anything, tell them you love rainbows.
Marina

apollos0fAlexandria

#5 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 1 month ago

Hi Marina and all,

Beating anyone, let alone the extreme example of one's spouse, is universally wrong.

Some claiming to be Christians beat their spouse. Some claiming to be Islamic beat their spouse. It's not the norm in either case in my experience. I have the pleasure of having encountered many individuals who are Muslim, and none that I know have any inclination to beat their spouse.

Yes, there are very sad stories from every culture, and sometimes religious texts have been used to perpetrate them.

If someone were to pluck this text out due to a professed Christian who was a child-killer, how would we reply?

O daughter of Babylon, doomed to be destroyed, blessed shall he be who repays you with what you have done to us! 9 Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock! (Ps 137:8,9)

(Let's not even get into scriptures about how you should "limit" the beating of your slaves so that they may be severely hurt, but not dead.)

While I am a Christian and not a Muslim, this is about the heart rather than any specific faith.

Apollos

Marina

#6 Post by Marina » 1 month ago

(Matthew 13:27-28) . . .So the slaves of the householder came up and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it come to have weeds?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.. . .

(Matthew 13:19) Where anyone hears the word of the kingdom but does not get the sense of it, the wicked one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart; this is the one sown alongside the road.

(Matthew 13:23) . . .As for the one sown upon the fine soil, this is the one hearing the word and getting the sense of it, who really does bear fruit and produces, this one a hundredfold, that one sixty, the other thirty.”

(Acts 18:4) . . .However, he would give a talk in the synagogue every sabbath and would persuade Jews and Greeks. . .

(1 Corinthians 3:6) I planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making it grow. . .

(Galatians 1:6) . . .I marvel that you are being so quickly removed from the One who called you with Christ’s undeserved kindness over to another sort of good news. . .
Marina

apollos0fAlexandria

#7 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 1 month ago

Hi Marina

Sometimes there are posts that are a list of scriptures and the intended meaning might be misinterpreted. So I don't want to do that.

Could you explain how these relate to the topic of "wife beating", because I may be missing the point?

Best,
Apollos

Marina

#8 Post by Marina » 1 month ago

Well you said it's a heart issue and I am agreeing just saying that you need to be told the right stuff. That's why I underlined the words in Matt 13:23 HEARING THE WORD AND GETTING THE SENSE OF IT.

What words are those? The words in the Bible and in particular the words of Jesus Christ. And how do you go about getting the sense of it? By reading the context and getting the sense of it. AND NOT LISTENING TO FALSE RELIGIOUS TEACHERS. That is what is being warned of at Gal 1:6.
Marina

apollos0fAlexandria

#9 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 1 month ago

Hi Marina

Understood. And thanks for the explanation.

Best,
Apollos