The Divine Name, Nehemia Gordon

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

The Divine Name, Nehemia Gordon

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 5 months ago

So I was looking up evidence for and against Jehovah/Yehovah vs Yahweh.

Whilst the debate has always been heated, I personally find this video series by Nehemia Gordon, explaining his stance and discoveries of over 1000 manuscripts in which he claims has the vowels of the name written in them, as well as how other words in Hebrew further confirm why he thinks Yehovah is the divine name and where Yahweh really comes from. I also found that his claims on the meaning of God's name in Exodus when he speaks to Moses, also agreeing with my own personal research also.

So here are some of the most interesting/relevant videos on the subject, they are a little length, but regardless, enjoy if you choose to watch them all.

"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Proselytiser of Jah

Re: The Divine Name, Nehemia Gordon

#2 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 3 weeks ago

Posting this here from another thread, potential counter arguments from another Hebrew scholar channel. He covers the various claims of Gordon in his various videos.

FriendlyDoggo wrote: 3 weeks ago Hi PoJ, don't trust Nehemia's claims:

"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

goghtherefore

#3 Post by goghtherefore » 3 weeks ago

(I hope this is ok, re: Divine name aspect of topic)

I enjoyed these presentations of Jeff A. Benner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRsbSLU9oFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84zSeKaDkU

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Illusive

#4 Post by Illusive » 2 weeks ago

I'm confused, isn't Jehovah just a translation of the word Yahweh? Whats the big deal? Why are there hour long videos on the topic? This doesn't seem like it matters at all. What am I missing.
Latin Catholic. Professional Super-Villain. Founder of Cerberus. Follower of the Shepherd who is the savior of humanity. Dank meme enjoyer

Theme song: https://youtu.be/PnuSL7oUimA

Contact me on Discord - The Illusive Man#5157

goghtherefore

#5 Post by goghtherefore » 2 weeks ago

The word Jehovah is a really big deal to Jehovah's Witnesses. It is a sacred word to them; though they may not admit or even realize it. The word has been used to take away/prevent a relationship with Jesus Christ, our Lord, Shepherd and Savior. They feel the use of this word separates them from the rest of the world...as the one and only true faith approved by God. They consider themselves as God's chosen people/modern day Israelites. (Imo, they are like the Israelites of Jesus day; the ones that crucified Jesus).

goghtherefore

goghtherefore

#6 Post by goghtherefore » 2 weeks ago

...a bit further, a link regarding the Jehovah, Jehovah's Witnesses and Free Masons:

"The word was introduced into Freemasonry, not in a
Christian context but in a magical context. Albert G.
Mackey, 33 degree, one of the highest respected Masonic
authorities for the Masons states in his Encyclopaedia of
Freemasonry, Vol. I, 1871,

"JEHOVAH is, of all the significant words of Masonry, by
far the most important."

https://itssinstupid.tripod.com/JEHOVAHS.HTM

and https://itssinstupid.tripod.com/JEHOVAH6.HTM (for what it's worth)

goghtherefore

Proselytiser of Jah

#7 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 2 weeks ago

Illusive wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm confused, isn't Jehovah just a translation of the word Yahweh? Whats the big deal? Why are there hour long videos on the topic? This doesn't seem like it matters at all. What am I missing.
It's a Latinisation, but we have to remember, "Jehovah" was made apparently when the vowels of Adonai were applied to the YHWH, which can be found in the Masoretic texts applied to the Tetragrammaton. However, there is an argument those vowels are "dummy" vowels which were inserted into the Masoretic text to hide the true name.

The channel FD linked me (which I posted above which does a good job at arguing against Gordon) was very good at explaining in its video series on how Yahweh and Yehovah are not related at all , and makes a very strong case for the name being Yahweh and all other forms (such as Yehovah) being impossible according to Hebrew grammar rules, based on the Masoretic text (not the Tetragrammaton dummy vowels, but other words in the MT Bible which "contain" abbreviated forms of the name and its pronunciation, allowing us to reverse engineer the language to find the real name). I watched most of the series (which took me about 6 hours roughly).

There are many arguments back and forth in support of the form of God's name.

It's important to many people, as Jesus described (and many other scriptures) his followers being a "people for God's name".

I do personally feel it's important to use in worship for that reason, and that God's real name should be respected (of all the names of religious deities historically, God's name has been attempted to be suppressed the most). Now what's important is more what the name "means", rather than getting hung up on how it's pronounced. But it's an interesting topic nonetheless, and I feel God's personal name is big topic of importance in its own right.

Some also feel it's offensive to use the wrong name, in case it's a pagan corruption, etc (which both Yahweh and Yehovah have been accused of equally by different scholars; some say "Yehovah" is the term for "god of destruction", others believe it's a magical form originating with the Kabbala occultic Jews, others think "Yahweh" is a "Canaanite god", or "Jupiter", etc, etc).

The most certain form of the name we can rely on is "Yah".

A lot of people have argued Yeho, and similar forms (also used as the basis for Yehovah) due to being found in the short form in so many Biblical names (Yeshua, Yehoshua, Yehoshaphat, etc) ,but the series I watched made a point to say that the form Yeho, Yaho, Yahu (etc) are "compressed" forms of the name, which result in vowel shifts, and to find out the true name, we have to "uncompress" them, and the clues being in various words in the language. This results in the "full name" not being "Yeho-something", but "Yah-something".

For the longest time, I was very strong on feeling Jehovah/Yehovah was the name and Yahweh being pagan, but ever since what FD shared with me here on the forum, I've changed my mind and am more prone to believing Yahweh is the name now based on that evidence. But for the sake of certainty, I use the term "Yah", which is the least controversial and is accepted by all scholars universally.

Proselytiser of Jah

#8 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 2 weeks ago

goghtherefore wrote: 2 weeks ago
"JEHOVAH is, of all the significant words of Masonry, by
far the most important."
We also have to remember, the Masons are not "originators" of anything, but they steal many things (such as images, names, etc,) which pre-date them. However, it would not surprise me if they have an attachment to that form, if the claims of the Kabbala Jews is correct (they promoted the form Yehovah and Yehoviv, because they believed these forms had "magical power" to them when pronounced), those Kabbala Jews being the writers of manuscript sources Nehemiah Gordon used as his "proof".