Why Can't People Agree

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Erick

Why Can't People Agree

#1 Post by Erick » 3 months ago

It's interesting to consider the question why you can't get all people or even a majority of people to accept what you think is true. An argument that will completely convince one person will leave another completely unconvinced. Every argument has a counter argument no matter what it is. Why is this?

Because humans have a perception filter. It allows humans to accept certain arguments as "factual" while rejecting others as "false". A person with a different perception filter will reject the first persons "factual" arguments as false. Why do we all have different perception filters?

A big factor in our differing perception filters is our sense of identity, how we view ourselves. What is the identity or role we have taken on? All roles that humans have taken on is multifaceted. As a common example at one time we were teenagers and accepted that as our identity. Now we may have accepted the identity as a parent. Do you see things the same way now as a parent of a teenager as you did when you were a teenager? No you do not. Since the teenager you and the parent you had accepted different identities your perception filter was different. As a teenager you couldn't understand why your parents saw things the way they did. Their arguments didn't convince you. Today your child's arguments don't convince you when you disagree.

When people are 100% identified with their present identity there is no chance of convincing them that their perception filter is not entirely accurate. They see their identity as the role they are playing right now. We all play many roles at the same time. Perhaps we are a woman, a parent, a JW, an American, a daughter, a sister, an employee, a wife, a lover of classical music, a home owner, a middle-aged person etc.

All these roles can form a complex identity that creates a perception filter that will cause you to accept some arguments as true and others as false. You may have various degrees of identification with each role. For instance you may 100% identify (which takes place in the mind) as a JW while only partially self identify as an employee. This would cause you to reject as false any argument which put into question the JW religion but would leave you partially open to arguments your boss may present to you.

If you strongly identify as a woman, as perhaps some extreme feminists do, you will be closed to recognizing any validity to considering the viewpoint of men in the traditional men/women disagreements and vice versa.

A scientific materialist that identifies strongly with the belief that we are just evolved apes with no spiritual component and that the spirit world doesn't even exist, will immediately reject out of hand any evidence that indicates something different.

A fundamentalist Christian who identifies strongly as such will have a perception filter that will not allow her to consider as valid any arguments that argue that the Bible is not 100% infallible.

Do any of these strong identifications make sense? At one time I strongly identified as a JW. It was probably one of the strongest identities I had at one time. Any argument that questioned the organization as God's people was immediately shot down in my mind as having no validity whatsoever. Something caused me to dis-identify myself ever so slightly from that role. It allowed me to begin to open my mind to other arguments which eventually led me to completely dis-identify as a JW.

The core of my being or soul didn't change during that time. Only how I saw myself changed.

My point is that we are all more than the roles we play and the identities we have taken on. The roles and identities can change over time but the core of our being doesn't change. However our identities, especially the ones we strongly identify with, will shape our perception filter and close us off to other viewpoints. Playing roles is inevitable on Earth but strong identification with those roles is not. Wisdom is recognizing our true identity as spiritual beings and not becoming so strongly attached to the identities defined on Earth.

Marina

Re: Why Can't People Agree

#2 Post by Marina » 3 months ago

(John 8:44-47) . . .YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie]. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell the truth, YOU do not believe me. 46 Who of YOU convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it YOU do not believe me? 47 He that is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why YOU do not listen, because YOU are not from God.”

(2 Timothy 3:1-7) . . .But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6 For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

(Colossians 3:9-13) . . .Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new [personality], which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, foreigner, Scyth′i·an, slave, freeman, but Christ is all things and in all. 12 Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion, kindness, lowliness of mind, mildness, and long-suffering. 13 Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another.

(John 13:34-35) . . .I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. 35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.”
Marina

Strazh

#3 Post by Strazh » 3 months ago

Yes, there are people who believe in themselves. This is called self-identity. In the case of Jehovah's Witnesses, there is a large substitution of concepts. They identify themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses, but they are actually Watchtower witnesses. You probably remember this: I am of Paul, I am of Apollos, and I am of e-Watchman, etc. But, usually, all such identifications are forms of idolatry.

"He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who is seeking the glory of the One who sent Him, He is true, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."
It is enough to see how Jesus identified himself and think the same way. This is the mind of Christ, or the already attained Christian maturity of a man who does not err in his judgments.
I don't speak English, so sorry for the mistakes and style.

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 3 months ago

Hi Strazh,

Welcome to the forum. We can work with the language difficulties.

Bobcat

Strazh

#5 Post by Strazh » 3 months ago

Thanks)
Yes, I've noticed that different languages often contribute to different thinking. But for the Spirit, there is no difference in languages.

For example, the Apostle John was a Jew, but he recorded the Revelation in Greek. Despite the mistakes of a foreigner, the spirit of the book has not changed. And with knowledge of this Spirit we understand this book.

Spirit is more than language, and when It comes back again, our errors of thought and understanding will be gone forever.
I don't speak English, so sorry for the mistakes and style.

Stranger

#6 Post by Stranger » 3 months ago

Strazh wrote:
3 months ago
Yes, I've noticed that different languages often contribute to different thinking. But for the Spirit, there is no difference in languages.

Hi Strazh,

Welcome to the forum, I think this pair of scriptures (1Cor 14:14-15 KJV) matches what you're describing.

Hope to hear a lot from you in the times ahead!

Stranger, (Acts 2:4)