Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

#31 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

Just adding a few references regarding the textual variations in Luke 9:55. Actually, the references to the variants for this verse are often described as being from Luke 9:54-56.

This page has a lengthy discussion on Luke 9:55-56. He shows both how modern textual scholarship (favoring the shorter reading) and the traditional reading (favoring the longer reading) view this passage. In his conclusion he seems to favor the longer reading.

This page shows textual variations for Luke 9:25-14:5. Here is the index page that has a wider discussion of textual variations in the NT.

And here is a Google search results on variations in Luke 9:55.

From what I've seen so far, the most evidence favors the shorter reading, but there is some evidence for also viewing the longer reading favorably.

Bobcat

menrov

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

#32 Post by menrov » 1 month ago

You can also have a look here for other translations:
https://studybible.info/compare/Luke%209:55-56

The fact this is not found in some MSS but in many it is found, does not mean it is secondary or not correct. Like the WT translates according to their agenda, so did many other translators. The words: ‘You do not know what sort of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy people’s lives, but to save [them].’ is very much in line with the what Jesus was teaching and how He presented himself. He was very forgiving. It is very well in line with: Joh 10:16 I have other sheep that do not come from this sheepfold. I must bring them too, and they will listen to my voice, so that there will be one flock and one shepherd.
and with:
1Co 15:45 So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living person”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

But to all who would like to minimize the role and authority of Christ, the words in Luke 9:55,56 would be too nice for people and reduce the power of religion and their leaders.