Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Stranger

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

#21 Post by Stranger » 5 months ago

Dajo1 wrote:
5 months ago
Here’s one that’s always intrigued me. 1 Peter 1:11
Hi Dajo,

When you are dealing with the Spirit of Christ that resides within and having Sup with Him, there is nothing NOT to be intrigued about.

With so many indications as indicated above and "from above", I feel very confident* (even though there is a "might" in the wording) that Jesus is present among those on Earth that believe and love Him. Mary was told by the Holy Spirit to Name her Child "Immanuel" (God with us). (Ps 68:18 KJV)

I'm not sure what the plan is now for the JW's, but it used to be that Jehovah is the one who is coming to walk among man. And I think it was "Christ Jesus" with his 144,000 that would be in Heaven Keeping an Eye on things. And I would also imagine that he would still be creating things in the universe like he has always done but the JW's have never said anything like that as far as I know but I have been away from it for as long or longer then some have been in it, even though for some odd reason I have always kept my eye on them. Must be the spirit in me that's the only thing I can figure.

The subsequent glory that's mentioned in 1Pet 1:11, who do you say it belongs to? Christ Jesus as now known or Jesus Christ as now known.

The GB would have you believe that Christ took the helm in 1914 but every since then all worship goes to Jehovah and don't you dare bend a knee to the Lord Jesus Christ or any form of the lower case god. It seems like they don't trust the Son of God, the Big Guy must be making all the calls for the Little Guy that is sitting King, ruling the Heaven and Earth.

Anyway I'm just rambling, but one more thing to think about. Even if it is Jehovah who comes to be with mankind It is still Jesus who has to make it happen. (Jn 14:6 KJV)

Be mindful of the words of the holy prophets and always consider the Apostle Jesus. (Heb 3:1)

Stranger, *(Heb 3:14)

Orchid61

#22 Post by Orchid61 » 5 months ago

2 Cor.1:20

English Standard Version
For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.

Love to all
Maria 🌷

Stranger

#23 Post by Stranger » 5 months ago

Orchid61 wrote:
5 months ago
2 Cor.1:20

English Standard Version
For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.

Love to all
Maria
Hi Maria,

You sure know your Bible, which in other words is the Word of God! And I thank you. Amen.

(Col 2:9-10) .... ( Col 2:9-10 KJV)

Love,
Stranger

P.S.

I love it when you start to ramble!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7fdZnu ... rt_radio=1

Dajo1

#24 Post by Dajo1 » 5 months ago

Hello Stranger,

I feel the same way you do.

My “intrigue” was referring to the intentional changing of the meaning by WT writers :?

Stranger

#25 Post by Stranger » 5 months ago

Dajo1 wrote:
5 months ago
My “intrigue” was referring to the intentional changing of the meaning by WT writers
Hi Dajo,

I'm pretty sure you meant to say that they changed the wording of it and added brackets then took the brackets out and changed the wording again to camouflage the meaning or make it more difficult to understand for the lazy sheep that don't like to read.

Their footnote 'p' in (1Pet 1:11) junctions with my Bible back to (2Cor 5:18) from (Dan 9:24). So make of that what you will.

I don't know how you feel about the anonymous NWT of the Holy Scriptures translation committee, but considering how the WT uses what they have received from them I can understand your intrigue.

There are a good many people that think Knorr and Franz had their hands covered with ink in the translation along with some other GB members from the past. And now as recent as seven or so years ago some newer members of the GB decided to play with the ink.

I never have believed that, I have always been under the impression of them using "outside sources".

Stranger, (Eze 9:3 KJV)

Dajo1

#26 Post by Dajo1 » 5 months ago

Thanks for your well balanced comment Stranger.

After 4 years (and a bit), I still struggle with the influence of being totally pro FDS ... to feelings of almost hatred. Many many, times I gave a Pubic Talk with the title “Do You Harbour Resentment - or Do You Forgive”.

Remembering the lessons from that outline, from the GB in the late ‘80s 90s has often calmed me down and allowed me to keep my words and disgust to myself.

So the question is “how come this belief system can get at me even when I successfully expose it for what it actually is!”

Stranger

#27 Post by Stranger » 5 months ago

Dajo1 wrote:
5 months ago
After 4 years (and a bit), I still struggle with the influence of being totally pro FDS ... to feelings of almost hatred.
Hi Dajo,

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that at times you wish you could be on board wholeheartedly but then again walking the plank is looking pretty good.

Dajo1 wrote:
5 months ago
Remembering the lessons from that outline, from the GB in the late ‘80s 90s has often calmed me down and allowed me to keep my words and disgust to myself.

So the question is “how come this belief system can get at me even when I successfully expose it for what it actually is!”
All the "training" you have been through, and if you're like me you want to be a good student so that one day one can become a teacher. Sounds like you have been teaching quite awhile and again if you are like me, you want to believe what you teach (and preach). So while you have been teaching you have also been learning and while you have been preaching you have also been listening! To who or what you might ask. What I can tell you is that It's louder than the WT. The Who is none other than The Lord Jesus Christ.

You say you want to expose a system for what it actually is. You are not gonna do it by yourself, and we are not going to do it with well lets say 144,000 apostates either. (BTW, I was just using a number off the top of my head, I could have said 150,000 or 200,000 but I like the other one better and it's one that I favor more.)

I at one time wanted to expose the WT, I found out the hard way to leave them alone, I'll just say that their "supernatural forces" (yes they do have some), will linger as long as you allow them to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2qiZRvXK-0

Stranger, (Eph 2:6)

Phoebe

#28 Post by Phoebe » 5 months ago

I'll just say that their "supernatural forces" (yes they do have some), will linger as long as you allow them to.
Sometimes I find myself turning over conflicting thoughts.
I tend to accept that everything has its time and place....and then when you’re prodded to be aware and awake to false teachings, to be aware that a self proclaimed God-inspired teaching channel has a pattern of misleading interpretation...well, I don’t feel any connection or obligation to follow.

After such a long time of loyal attention to the GB’s words and claims, their obvious deception and manipulation of scripture to substantiate their ‘truths’ was hard to take.

The inspired description of the very being of God, is truth, light...no deception.

The GB along with Church Leaders can be breathtakingly arrogant in their claim to speak on God’s behalf, whilst clearly being deceptive, omitting and then adding to scripture to suit their version of Theology. It would be less jarring if they didn’t denounce the ‘follower’ for calling it out....or for simply turning away and refusing to nod at every turn of interpretation.

It matters. We can’t teach what we feel is not true. It’s incredibly damaging to our own character.
I don’t believe our Creator wants us to grow under such heavy handed authority, an authority that isn’t transparent or completely truthful either.

He tells us to keep knocking. I trust that ❤️

Orchid61

#29 Post by Orchid61 » 5 months ago

Hi Phoebe, 🐑

As I read your comment the next verse came to mind:

Matthew 11:28–30 (ESV): 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Love
Maria 🤗

Bobcat

Re: Intentional omissions/insertions? - Luke 9:55

#30 Post by Bobcat » 2 months ago

How Luke 9:55 is rendered in various Bibles makes it a good subject for this thread.

One can see how it is variously rendered here.

The NET has a footnote at this verse (# 186) where they offer remarks about the added phrase:
tc Many mss ([D] K Γ Θ ƒ [579] 700 2542 pm it) have at the end of the verse (with slight variations) “and he said, ‘You do not know what sort of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy people’s lives, but to save [them].’” This variant is clearly secondary, as it gives some content to the rebuke. Further, it is difficult to explain how such rich material would have been omitted by the rest of the witnesses, including the earliest and best mss.

When I am back home I will see what my other Greek references have on the verse and add them to this thread.

Barnes Notes on the NT (early 19th century) offers some commentary on the content of the questionable phrase:
Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of - You suppose that you are actuated by a proper love for me; but you know not yourselves. It is rather a love of revenge; rather revengeful feelings toward the "Samaritans" than proper feelings toward "me." We learn here:
1. That "apparent" zeal for God may be only improper opposition toward our fellow-men.

2. That people, when they wish to honor God, should examine their spirit, and see if there is not lying at the bottom of their professed zeal for God some bad feeling toward their fellow-men.

3. That the highest opposition which Jesus met with was not inconsistent with "his" loving those who opposed him, and with his seeking to do them good.

I mention the dating of Barnes Notes because there was a lot of Greek textual discoveries and research after his time. His commentary is based on the KJV which is itself based on the flawed TR.

Bobcat