Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
goghtherefore

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

#81 Post by goghtherefore » 2 weeks ago

...continue re: Bow/bend: Philippians 2:10

New World Translation

For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position+ and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name,+ 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground+— 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord+ to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:10-11
New King James Version

"10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Bobcat

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions? - Jn 6:4

#82 Post by Bobcat » 2 weeks ago

Linking to a thread on John 6:4 here.

Bobcat

Stranger

#83 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

Since we are talking about the sixth chapter of John, I'll just mention that (John 6:69) (John 6:69 KJV) has many variant readings.

Does it make a difference to you? If this in most novel versions "the holy one of God" an expression used by devils is translated. (Mr 1:24) (Lu 4:34)

Stranger

goghtherefore

#84 Post by goghtherefore » 2 weeks ago

2 Corinthians 5: 20

NWT "Therefore, we are ambassadors substituting for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us."

Notice the NWT adds the word "substituting"...It seems all other translations do not include this word "substituting"!

English Standard Version
"Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God."

The word "substituting", dramatically changes the meaning. Imo. (Yet another example of diminishing our Lord Jesus; What next? Jesus is also the angel of the abyss or something? 😎)

https://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/5-20.htm

goghtherefore

goghtherefore

#85 Post by goghtherefore » 2 weeks ago

New World Translation
John 14:13 - 14 "13 Also, whatever you ask in my name, I will do this, so that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son.r 14 If you ask anything in my name, I will do it."

Inserts the word "connection" and omits the word me (as in "ask me anything")

From Watchtowers own interlinear: "..in order that might be glorified the Father in the Son..." if ever anything you should ask me in the name of me this I shall do"

Berean Literal Bible
And whatever you might ask in My name, this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask Me for anything in My name, I will do it.

goghtherefore

goghtherefore

#86 Post by goghtherefore » 2 weeks ago

1 Thessalonians 4:17

NWT "Afterward we the living who are surviving will, together with them, be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and thus we will always be with the Lord."

omits the phrase: "at the same time" (prior to "together with them")

Many translations omit this phrase. (Possibly so a religion/cult may choose when one is resurrected (at death or this designated time/event)?)

An exception: Amplified Bible

"Then we who are alive and remain [on the earth] will simultaneously be caught up (raptured) together with them [the resurrected ones] in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord!"

goghtherefore