Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
FriendlyDoggo

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions?

#61 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 1 month ago

Hello Stranger, here is where I originally intended to post, but I confused it with the "Curious..." one.

About the two days, it was because I wasn't able to access the forum, it wasn't loading here.
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

Stranger

#62 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

FriendlyDoggo wrote: 1 month ago Hello Stranger, here is where I originally intended to post, but I confused it with the "Curious..." one.

About the two days, it was because I wasn't able to access the forum, it wasn't loading here.
10 dash 4 (message received, loud and clear)!

Stranger, (1Cor 10:4)

goghtherefore

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions? - Jn 5:28

#63 Post by goghtherefore » 1 month ago

It seems an intentional insertion is at John 5:28

NWT "Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice"

Other translations never include the word "memorial" in this sentence; just "tombs or graves.

Inserting the word "memorial" allows the Watchtower organization to decide who and who will not be resurrected.

Jesus stated: “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice..."
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

goghtherefore

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions? - Rom 6:23

#64 Post by goghtherefore » 1 month ago

It seems an intentional insertion is at Romans 6:23 ... NWT "For the wages sin pays is death,+ but the gift God gives..."

Other translation do not insert the word "pays".

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (ESV)

Inserting the word "pays" allows the Watchtower organization to teach a false doctrine, nullifying Jesus precious life sacrifice for all...(Our death is not what "pays" for our sins; Jesus death did!)

gogh

Bobcat

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions? - Jn 5:28

#65 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

On Jn 5:28 and "memorial tombs, I posted something about that here.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Intentional omissions or intentional insertions? - Rom 6:23

#66 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

Regarding Rom 6:23 and the NWT's rendering of the verse:
NWT: "For the wages sin pays is death, ..."

Most: "For the wages of sin is death, ..."

The NWT Study Bible has a footnote about this phrase:
the wages sin pays: Or “the wages of sin.” The Greek word o·psoʹni·on literally means “pay; wages.” At Lu 3:14 (see study note), it is used as a military term, referring to a soldier’s pay or allowance. In this context, sin is personified as a master who pays figurative wages. The person who sins “earns” death as his “wages,” or payment. Once a person has died and has received his “wages,” his sinful record no longer stands against him. He would never live again were it not for Jesus’ ransom sacrifice and God’s purpose to resurrect the dead.

I might mention that the Greek text (here) is typically Pauline. There is no verb before "death." It literally reads, "For the wages of sin death ..." Most translations insert a verb ("is") to smooth out the English rendering. The NWT inserts two verbs ("pays is"). And in doing so they leave the article before "sin" ("of") untranslated.

Paul has a habit of using verb-less subjects and subject-less verbs (1Th 5:3 being one notable example of the latter that comes to mind - see here).

Just as an aside, the NWT footnote (quoted above) mentions that when a person dies, "his sinful record no longer stands against him." That is an interesting statement. On the one hand, it would be true. He/she did pay the penalty for sin when they died. Yet, Jn 5:28, 29 would indicate that what a person does in this life would have an effect on his post-resurrection life prospects. (See also Jn 12:47, 48 & Rom 2:14-16)

Bobcat

goghtherefore

#67 Post by goghtherefore » 1 month ago

Hi Bobcat

Thank you for your input and references.

Re: " He/she did pay the penalty for sin when they died"

I do not view our death as payment at all. I view our death as (the) consequence/outcome of sin.

The only payment for sin, imo, is Jesus life sacrifice.

Regards,

gogh

goghtherefore

#68 Post by goghtherefore » 1 month ago

Greetings

It seems an intentional insertion is at 1 Peter 3:18 ... NWT: "Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God."

Other translations do not insert the word "time".

CSB
"For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,."

See: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/1 ... r%203%3A18

Inserting the word "time" : Nullifying whom Jesus died...Jesus died for all.

In Christ

gogh

Stranger

#69 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

goghtherefore wrote: 1 month ago NWT: "Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God."
Hi gogh,

"Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, ... that he might lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit". (NWT 84 black cover, made in the USA edition).

There's a lot to look at in that scripture, I know there is even some argumentation about the words "death and suffered", amongst other misleading translational errors you will always find their (NWT's) wording, flying in the direction of their (NWT's) doctrinal winds.

Let me just say, I appreciate your keen eyesight and more than welcome you to share all the one's you know of or come across. Little by little perhaps we'll all have a clearer view of the pure Word of God. How could we not with the company that this site keeps. :) Good to see you posting again.

Stranger, (Pr 30:5-6 KJV)

goghtherefore

#70 Post by goghtherefore » 1 month ago

Hi stranger

a tune for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSqcxFGFVas

😎