Sin is EGO

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Stranger

Re: Sin is EGO

#11 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

[/quote]
simplyme wrote:
1 year ago
This is the struggle Paul describes going on in his members every day.
Hi Simplyme,

Yes, what I get from it is that it takes a healthy ego to combat the downward tendencies of carnality. Ro 7:22,23

Questions: Things that come from the heart, is that part of the ego or would that not be any part of it because it is made of flesh and the mind is not?

Is the mind a separate entity from the heart or do they function together? (2Cor 3:3)
Phoebe wrote:
1 year ago
We are the broken, miserable image of the full being of our Creator.

Hi Phoebe,

A porous ego can let light shine through and let precepts become promptings. (2Co 3:6)

Stranger, (Is 26:3)

Phoebe

#12 Post by Phoebe » 1 year ago

A porous ego can let light shine through and let precepts become promptings. (2Co 3:6)
🙂 Yes, the light penetrates.
But, we DO love. We ARE loved.
Our Christ brought light into the world. 💕
He draws out and ignites our God-made image.
We look forward to when the work is complete and we are whole, when God is all in all.

Right? 👍🙂

John S

#13 Post by John S » 1 year ago

Reading the thoughts....finding them interesting.

Yes sin, or missing the mark is something that happens more often in my life, as I get older and weaker, prone to bumping into things....and it HURTS SO MUCH!

This is how I imagine what happened to us, the children of Adam and Eve. We are dead from the beginning now, crippled, and diseased, so how are we going to change THAT!?

I mean, I have been trying to be a “Good Christian” all my life, but it’s harder now than ever before, and I feel good about some things I do, but fail in other categories of behavior.

That’s how I know all this rhetoric about the spirit Sons are better Christians is all crap. We are still,.....BENT......BROKEN.....

Our spiritual ‘immunity’ to sin or be bad in our behavior is low or maybe non existent , especially if we contract a mental disease like Alzheimers, and we can do little to even help ourselves eat, drink, or think properly.

This explains fully, why God still loves us, and shows us mercy. He knows we are weak, and cannot change very much.

John S

#14 Post by John S » 1 year ago

This the vital need for the Help we get through receiving the Holy Spirit.

This gives us a ‘leg up’ , empowers us to improve and maintain integrity under trial.

Prayer when we are weak gives us a calm unlike anything we can swallow in pill form, affecting our hearts as the Spirit comes in.

Get out of her

#15 Post by Get out of her » 1 year ago

Hi simplyme:

Just wanted to say that in my case I found your post on this topic to be rather interesting and insightful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it. If you are not a psychologist I think you may have missed your calling in my humble opinion.

Just as soon as I have the time I intend to share some thoughts and comments of my own on your post, and I hope you don't mind.

Agape love;
Sol

Get out of her

#16 Post by Get out of her » 1 year ago

Just a few brief comments for now. I have company coming up to visit in a couple days and I will have a full house around here for a week or so. Need to start preparing for it. Things like an actual deep cleaning of my house! Yikes!!! Might not recognize it when I'm done! Shame on me.

Speaking of precious and priceless relationships and how our egos can so easily destroy them, Its moments like this that make me think twice about remaining single or even simply living alone.

I found it interesting that the NWT seems to be the only translation that has opted to use any words like ego in any scriptural passage at all. (Ga 5:26) (Php 2:3) Perhaps it has something to do with the strict literal definition that Marina seems to point to. Nevertheless it seems rather clear that over the years at least the word has become strongly associated with the notion of being conceited or prideful. After all the word gay used to be just another way of saying- happy, and shambles used to mean -meat market.

There in Galations 5 and Phillipians 2 it appears the original Greek words that were translated in the NWT as egotism or egotistical were ones like eritheia or kenodoxia. In other English translations the words chosen to translate these Greek words were normally ones like -boastful, proud, or conceited as opposed to egotistical. More than one translator has opted for the term--"vain glorious." Must be another one of those words or phrases that was common only to old or archaic English.

Anyway, looking forward to posting further comments when I have more time.

Agape love;
Sol

John S

#17 Post by John S » 1 year ago

If the sin we have in this world is our own egos.....who are these people in control of our schools, entertainment, and news?

What responsibility do they have in the sin spreading into the hearts of the citizens of this world...such as homosexuality and pedophiles?

Look at this”

https://www.outofshadows.org/

simplyme

#18 Post by simplyme » 11 months ago

As we have evolved in this topic, a more accurate description of what is going on inside us may be a “seed of corruption” (instead of EGO) that was planted from the beginning. This may be more in line with 1Cor 15:42.

This seed is growing in us from birth. It gains strength and power from our individual insecurities and fears. It tries to convince us that it is our friend and protector but it’s only goal is to keep itself alive and growing. It is a parasite and we are it’s host. It’s important to note this “system of things” or this world which is in the hands of the Wicked one creates the perfect environment for these seeds of corruption to thrive in.

This seed of corruption can only operate in darkness. Once an individual sees how it is manipulating them it loses its power. So once this seed sees that the individual is shining light on it, the fight is on for its own control and survival. Even if inadvertently you shine light on another’s seed your going to produce a biting dog. This is where relationships suffer. It seems that as soon as you start understanding what this seed is doing in you it fights back with a wide range of emotions. You might think of it as a child that has always gotten its way and when the parent says no it throws a tantrum. This is done to confuse and hurt you, to make you stop really looking at yourself. So naturally we may humbly look at ourselves up to a certain point and then stop because the pain, fears and insecurities become too overwhelming. This seed is counting on this. This is why the power of God’s Spirit is so important. This is the only way we can manage the problem for the time being. It seems the more we live in the fruitages of the Spirit the more we would gain true freedom. I don’t know since I haven’t got there yet.

Take for example the Sadducees and Pharisees in the time of Jesus. Jesus was pointing out to them where they were failing to show love and the fruitages of the Spirit with the people. Instead of love which should have been their main motivating factor, it was all about obedience. Obedience to their take on the Scriptures. Obedience became more important than love or any other fruitages of the Spirit. This made them feel in control and above or more important than the people. They were just feeding their seeds of corruption. These seeds of corruption had taken them over. Everything Jesus said or did was wrong in their eyes. As the Scriptures often described people they were “hard-hearted and stiff necked”. This is why Jesus said they were from their father the devil. John 8:44. That seed of corruption was in control of them. Does that mean they were condemned? I don’t think so but they had to first be humble and really look at themselves.

Get out of her

#19 Post by Get out of her » 11 months ago

Simplyme wrote:
We become more and more aware of how we “miss the mark” inside us as an individual. In a way to comfort ourselves we start looking at how those close to us “miss the mark” also so we can say “ At least I’m not as bad as that person”.
The truth of this statement reminded me of the illustration Jesus presented in Luke 18 where he himself not only makes this very point, but also endeavors to drive home to us just how serious a matter it really is; the way it comes across to our creator.

9 "But he spoke this illustration also to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and considered the rest as nothing: 10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and began to pray these things to himself, 'O God, I thank you that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week, I give the tenth of the things I acquire.' 13 But the tax collector standing at a distance was not willing even to raise his eyes heavenward, but kept beating his breast, saying: 'O God, be gracious to me a sinner.' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home proved more righteous than that man; because everyone who exalts himself will be humiliated, but he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Lu 18:9-14)

Rather than choosing to be honest even with OURSELVES, taking responsibility for our failings and working toward CORRECTING them, most people seem to opt for a more lazy and prideful approach. It reminds me of Jesus' words concerning the "wicked and sluggish slave." (Mt 25:26) Most people seem to want to simply begin pointing to the failings of others (just like Adam did when confronted by Jehovah on his sin) that might appear to be even worse, and begin deceiving themselves into thinking they don't need to make any changes since they are better than others. It's really rather sick and childish if we really think about it, and we all are probably guilty of this to some extent or other at least at some point in our lives.

Our leader and exemplar has actually demonstrated not only the very opposite approach to this for us, but even in a manner that we could perhaps rightly recognize as extreme in at least some sense. In other words, Jesus set the example of actually accepting even FULL responsibility for the sins of OTHERS in the case of his atoning sacrifice. What made this even MORE extreme was that in his own case, he actually HAD no failings, or had become guilty of no sin whatsoever!

This is really something to seriously contemplate, particularly since this was an example that was set for any and all who would sincerely wish to "come after" Jesus or otherwise follow in the footsteps that were laid out for becoming fellow "kings and priests" with him in heaven. (Mt 16:24) (Re 5:10)

Anyway, this was merely among several things that I appreciated greatly about your commentary here –Simplyme.

Agape love;
Sol

Get out of her

#20 Post by Get out of her » 11 months ago

Simplyme wrote:
The EGO hides and protects us from our frailties while at the same time revealing and magnifying the frailties of those close to us. In a false narrative of self preservation and protection our EGOS are attacking each other. Our EGOS go into the protective mode and offensive mode to protect our self conscious self. The irony is our EGOS in trying to protect us are destroying what we need most. Loving healthy relationships.
I'll contend that scriptural accounts like Ezekiel 28 should help us appreciate that points like this simply cannot be over stressed. The issue of pride, egotism and selfishness or even wickedness not only seem to be intricately linked to each other, but are laid out right here in Ezekiel as being at the very heart of the rebellion against Jehovah millenniums ago in the Garden of Eden. Jehovah specifically identifies pride as the central issue behind this rebellion, and what TREMENDOUS damage and suffering has been caused to all of Jehovah's creation since that time! (Ez 28:17)

When we think of this in terms of (as simplyme puts it), "loving healthy relationships" and just how very priceless they really are, I wonder how many of us have ever thought of all this in terms of the incalculable damage this egotism has inflicted on Jehovah's universal FAMILY. Particularly when we think of it like this, doesn't it really begin to drive home the point of how central the issue of the ANTITHESIS of this pride and selfishness is to all of this? Yes love and humility is of course the very opposite of selfishness and egotism, and I greatly appreciated how Simplyme greatly stressed how intricately connected these things are in the UNDOING of all this damage caused by Satan and the demons (as well as the complicity of our forefathers). The love and humility involved in both the ministry and death of the Christ absolutely champions the very opposite qualities or traits that were demonstrated in the Garden of Eden.

All of us would of course do well to meditate regularly on these things particularly when it comes to the issue of how Jesus served as our leader and exemplar. Once again, very well done Simplyme, and I still would like to comment more on this excellent post of yours as time permits.

Agape love;
Sol