Free Will

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
simplyme

Re: Free Will

#301 Post by simplyme » 1 year ago

Thank you for the comments. :)

There are several of us working on putting this together over several years.
We think we are on the right path....but it is such a deep subject.

Hisclarkness, it’s funny you brought the ransom sacrifice into this because just a few days ago we had come to the conclusion that we had to tie that subject into this discussion.
We don’t have the answer yet but we would love to hear the thoughts of any of you.

We think if we could figure out why Jesus had to suffer and die in everyday real terms we could understand why we have to suffer and die

Bruno

#302 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

simplyme wrote:
1 year ago

We think if we could figure out why Jesus had to suffer and die in everyday real terms we could understand why we have to suffer and die
Maybe God took responsibility upon his shoulders for something we weren't capable of bearing full responsibility for so early in our existence?

1 Peter 1:18-25 knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. 20 He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you 21 who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; 24 for “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls,25 but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you.

Karl

simplyme

#303 Post by simplyme » 11 months ago

Bruno I am beginning to see the sentiment of what you the lady in the video are saying.
I had always looked at Adam and Eve as mature adults but I think in reality they were more like children in their maturity and especially in their experience in life.
Maybe that is why we are described as God’s children because in a very real sense we are still children. We still bear the responsibility of our actions just as our first parents did but we have a loving Father really looking over us and helping us to make the right steps and learn along the way.

What the opposer did in the Garden seemed to have broken Adam and Eve just as an abuser breaks a child at an early age by what they do to them. We are all broken.

The Biblical idea of being born again makes so much sense to me now. A brand new fresh start which the Ransom makes possible.

This environment we live in just feeds the selfish EGO in all of us. We can’t do anything about that. Jesus will tho. But we can do our best to shrink that EGO by living the fruitages of the Spirit. The works of the flesh including this negative judgmental attitude that we have, which we have been programmed to look at ourselves and others with, just feeds our EGO.

Bruno

#304 Post by Bruno » 8 months ago

Bruno wrote:
1 year ago

God knows all the variables which affect the way in which we make our choices. We are the clay and he is the potter.

God has knowledge of all future events. So He knows all the potential choices we are going to make and all the events which will play a role in influencing why we make those decisions.
God know how to catch a fish. The Bishop shares his views on free will, 1 Timothy 2:4

https://youtu.be/_Hli1fo1p2s?t=1020
Vox Ratio wrote:
2 years ago

If it helps at all, you could always eschew an argument from possibility/necessity and take a probabilistic position like this guy ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2864&hilit=enlighte ... 180#p34919
Something strange happens if you mix the reasoning of Bishop Barron above with the long and daunting odds presented by Vox Ratio. You end up with the genius of Will Smith 8-) and the reason why God has the capacity, if he desires, to save everyone without violating their free will :yoda:

As far as the Chinese man in the videos below is aware of, he acted freely.

Warning the language is a little naughty in places.

Karl

simplyme

#305 Post by simplyme » 8 months ago

Hey Bruno,
I enjoyed the points being made in the videos you sent. The more I learn about this subject the more I think sin is our ego or at least very much connected to it. It seems with the introduction of sin we became self aware or self conscious. Our main concern became a selfish concern. How will any given decision make me look better or better my situation.
It’s really hard to talk to someone about this because the person’s ego immediately goes on the defensive. Myself included. It’s completely understandable because it’s self preservation for the person’s ego. To shine light on it is to destroy it.
We are either living in our ego or in the image of God that is also in us. At present, unfortunately, we live most of the time in our ego.
Even the Bishop’s example of one man giving his life for another was a selfish act. He wanted praise from those he respected. Why can’t the reason be solely to save another’s life? Because our ego’s run us most of the time.
When we are truly living in the conscious and using our free will to live by the fruitages of the Spirit, then we are living in the image of God. In my opinion anyway. :)
Thank God, He is in control of the whole situation.

Bruno

#306 Post by Bruno » 8 months ago

simplyme wrote:
8 months ago
Hey Bruno,
I enjoyed the points being made in the videos you sent. The more I learn about this subject the more I think sin is our ego or at least very much connected to it. It seems with the introduction of sin we became self aware or self conscious. Our main concern became a selfish concern. How will any given decision make me look better or better my situation.
Hi Simplyme,

Richard Dawkins came to a similar conclusion. I think it describes what's at the heart of the human struggle, and the solution to overcoming it,
(Matthew 16:24-25; John 12:24-25).

Romans 7:14-15 Struggling with Sin
…14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.

simplyme wrote:
8 months ago
Thank God, He is in control of the whole situation.
Although God is in control of the big picture, he may have left the small pieces to us.

1 John 3:16-18
We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

Karl

Bruno

#307 Post by Bruno » 6 months ago

Interesting documentary about what happens when tech giants learn, what can become, the dark arts of human psychology. Your will is only as free as Google and co. permit it to be.

"The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks."

Christopher Hitchens (Letters to a Young Contrarian, 2001)

Karl

Bruno

#308 Post by Bruno » 5 months ago

Superdeterminism

Karl

Bobcat

#309 Post by Bobcat » 5 months ago

Hi Bruno,

I hope you and your family are doing alright and keeping safe.

I am looking forward to watching the video. The title is very intriguing to me, having dabbled a little with quantum theory. It will have to wait till after work, but I am looking forward to it.

Bobcat

AmosAu3

#310 Post by AmosAu3 » 5 months ago

Hi Bobcat and Karl,

That's an interesting video. It reminded me of a video by Tim Bell that I purchased about 8 years ago. I'll include the link below;

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Spiri ... 950&sr=8-8

I highly recommend the video. It includes quite a lot of scientific information that supports creation.

Regards, Amos.