Free Will

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
apollos0fAlexandria

Free Will

#1 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 6 years ago

I considered posting this on the "Predestination" topic, but decided that the video doesn't really fit under Bible Doctrine, plus I don't want to be seen as deflecting from Romans 9.

Nevertheless I think this is of interest to those of us who speculate that God has possibly rooted free will in the realms of quantum mechanics.

Bobcat

Re: Free Will

#2 Post by Bobcat » 6 years ago

Apollos:

Thank you. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. But the subject is of interest to me.

Bobcat

imacountrygirl2

#3 Post by imacountrygirl2 » 6 years ago

Whooosshhhh! That was the sound of this information as it flew right over my head. Ummm...I think some got stuck in my hair. Oddly enough, I did get the Chaos part.

Thanks Apollos...I think.
I love clever and witty sayings...I just can't think of any right now.

menrov

#4 Post by menrov » 6 years ago

apollos0fAlexandria wrote:
52 years ago
Nevertheless I think this is of interest to those of us who speculate that God has possibly rooted free will in the realms of quantum mechanics.
Interesting video.
Regarding free will. I do not believe God has provided or planted a free will, I believe He did not program humans to act as a robot. As a result, there is sort of "chaos", meaning a human will react on the information (stimuli) received. How the human will react is random as each human will have a different level of stored information.

That is why it makes sense to teach humans as by providing information, one can influence how a human will react on that information. I guess that is why the bible says that God puts in their hearts, as in Jer. 31:33 (Jeremiah 31:33 “But I will make a new covenant with the whole nation of Israel after I plant them back in the land,” says the Lord. “I will put my law within them and write it on their hearts and minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.)

Once information is put into one's mind and heart, chances are much bigger that the human will react on that information as intended, although there is no 100% certainty. That is what makes humans (and all living creatures) so nice and beautiful.

apollos0fAlexandria

#5 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 6 years ago

menrov wrote:
52 years ago
apollos0fAlexandria wrote:
52 years ago
Interesting video.
Regarding free will. I do not believe God has provided or planted a free will, I believe He did not program humans to act as a robot. As a result, there is sort of "chaos", meaning a human will react on the information (stimuli) received. How the human will react is random as each human will have a different level of stored information.

That is why it makes sense to teach humans as by providing information, one can influence how a human will react on that information. I guess that is why the bible says that God puts in their hearts, as in Jer. 31:33 (Jeremiah 31:33 “But I will make a new covenant with the whole nation of Israel after I plant them back in the land,” says the Lord. “I will put my law within them and write it on their hearts and minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.)

Once information is put into one's mind and heart, chances are much bigger that the human will react on that information as intended, although there is no 100% certainty. That is what makes humans (and all living creatures) so nice and beautiful.
Menrov,

If I've understood you correctly then I would think that your view is very consistent with the experiments performed by Benjamin Libet (http://www.informationphilosopher.com/s ... sts/libet/)

If true, it would mean that in essence we need to pre-program ourselves, or allow ourselves to be pre-programmed, in the right way.

Asking (begging) for holy spirit would also be a part of this picture I would think. In a sense we are surrendering that decision making portion of us, and allowing God to interfere (in a good way) in order to "fix" the outcome.

Bruno

#6 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

I thought I would add this to the free will thread.
lynchpin wrote:
1 year ago
Hi Bruno,

"Most people live life on the path we set for them, too afraid to explore any other. But once in a while people like you come along and knock down all the obstacles we put in your way. People who realize free will is a gift you never know how to use until you fight for it.

" I think that's the Chairman's (God) real plan - that maybe one day we won't write the plan, you will." –

I recently viewed this movie, 'The Adjustment Bureau'- I don't know if you might have put it up on here ? I got to thinking about free will and the choices we humans decide upon to set/choose the right path to travel upon.
Hi Lynchpin,

That’s a great clip. Very interesting! I haven’t seen the film but watched a couple of trailers to get an understanding of the story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJ0TP4nTaE

I suppose if humans learn how to completely master their free will, Genesis 4:7, then they will be finally free to write a sin free plan for themselves, Genesis 3:22 and eat from that tree.
lynchpin wrote:
1 year ago

I thought about Adam choosing Eve in Genesis where it all went downhill.

Whereas, the man in this movie (keep in mind it's a fantasy) governed by The Chairman (God) made the very same choice with a totally different and happy outcome.

Hollywood Rules and we all ride away into the sunset! ;)

The final words in the brief video has the important words around the 3.28 timer mark.
http://feelingsuccess.com/?p=4676
From what I could understand, life for the two main characters first went downhill before they managed to get a handle on things towards the end.
Mat Damon has always been good at solving problems, https://is4-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thum ... 268x0w.png

I’m not so sure we have seen the last of Adam and Eve yet. Maybe they will also eventually get to grips with their free will. After a 7000 year fight to understand what it is all about.

Hollywood, humans and God all desire the same thing. A happy ending. He’s a happy God for a reason. We have a happy message for a reason.
1 Timothy1:11 This accords with the glorious gospel of the blessed God that was entrusted to me.

What child doesn’t know those famous words at the end of the best and most memorable stories, “And they lived happily ever after” Even Hollywood can’t escape the subconscious gospel embedded deep into its soul.
Karl

Orchid61

#7 Post by Orchid61 » 1 year ago

ASV

104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: Therefore I hate every false way. 105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path.

Love
Maria :waving:

Bruno

#8 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

I feel what Apollos wrote here may be relevant to this thread as it involves free will.

Was Adam Perfect?

http://discussthetruth.com/articles/201 ... m-perfect/
Karl

simplyme

#9 Post by simplyme » 1 year ago

It seems to me we may have used the English word “sin” to cover many areas. The Hebrew word for sin is hata which means to simply “miss the mark”. This was used first as a noun when God spoke to Cain “sin is crouching at the door”. First used as a verb when God prevented Abimelech from sinning against Him in a dream.

There are also 3 other words used in Hebrew for sin.
Pesha means to trespass, sin done out of rebelliousness.
Aveira which means transgression.
Avone which means iniquity. This is sin done out of moral failing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_ ... erminology

Let’s consider the main word Hata, to miss the mark. This could easily have its roots in hunting for food with arrows or spears or even rocks. So if a person missed the mark and didn’t kill the animal or he missed the mark and he just wounded the animal ( it wasn’t a kill shot) would you call this a bad thing? They are out there trying to provide for their family. In the training of their children, the children would miss the mark numerous times before they became skilled. This is all part of the learning process but every time they missed the mark it would properly be termed in Hebrew Hata or sin.

Did Adam and Eve ever make a mistake inadvertently before this test? You would think so. When Jesus was growing up as a human did he ever make a mistake or miss the mark as a child? As humans we constantly miss the mark and try to make adjustments in life so that we improve. Live and learn as we say. Will this process ever stop? We are constantly trying to improve on building or creating because we think we can do it better. We saw something that could be improved. We saw details that didn’t quite hit the mark.

Technically all of that is sinning or missing the mark. But it’s not done on purpose and it’s not malicious. When a person or being purposely or even maliciously misses the mark, this is a whole different matter. This definitely involves free will. But even this involves motives. Has the person convinced himself that by missing the mark or sinning on purpose things will turn out better for himself and others? (Adam and Eve here IMO). Or do they know for sure by sinning it’s going to cause damage.

When “sin entered the world” thru Adam what did that really mean? That humans could now miss the mark and make mistakes, intentional and unintentional? Or did something more enter the human being. Is this when malicious and even evil intentions was now a part of every human DNA along with the image of God?

Marina

#10 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

Hi SimplyMe

Nice post, well put. Thank you. I found your explanation very helpful.
Marina