Bible Study Resources

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Bible Study Resources - Robert Alter Translation

#41 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

An interesting Hebrew Bible Translation that I just came across:

Article on it: Here.

Places available: Here.

After having started to learn about chiasmus, his translation becomes all the more intriguing. There is much untapped treasure to be found in the OT & NT.

Bobcat

lynchpin

Re: Bible Study Resources

#42 Post by lynchpin » 2 years ago

Bobcat,

That's quite an undertaking for one man. Amazing in fact as usually it took a team of people. I'll definitely purchase it and maybe one of his other books.

Thank you for all your research to aid others. :)

Bobcat

#43 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Hi Lynchpin,

There was a PDF version if you want to go the inexpensive route.

If you do get it please give us a 'book report.' I'd like to know your impression of it.

And it was an impressive undertaking like you said.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#44 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

This is not directly a Bible study resource. But many of us use computers/laptops/tablets in connection with Bible study.

Here is a very decent Chromebook on sale for a little less than a day left. It has very impressive capabilities for the price. (2.1 Ghz CPU quad core, 4GB RAM, 64 GB M.2 SSD, FHD screen - non-touch), USB-C, HDMI

And the SSD can be upgraded (for the daring) from 64 GB to 500 GB/1 TB, here. And also here.

Here is the 11.6 inch touch screen 'brother' to the 14 inch non-touch S330 linked to above. It is also on a short sale.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Bible Study Resources - WT Historical PDF

#45 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

An interesting WT historical PDF here. Not sure how long it will last.

And something similar but less extensive here.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#46 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

A number of links to various translations can be found on this post.

Bobcat

Stranger

#47 Post by Stranger » 2 years ago

Lynchpin wrote,
Thank you for all your research to aid others.
Hi Bobcat, I would like to thank you too for all your research. I know you have said that you still attend the meetings to keep peace in the family, but I was wondering if you are still active in the field service?

Stranger

Bobcat

#48 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

See this post. I do occasionally go with some others. When I do, I am always by myself with the person I am talking to. I also count time witnessing to witnesses. But I try to be very careful. That's funny. They are the most dangerous householders. They can leave you shunned and possibly separated from your mate if you are not careful. Goodness gracious! And they worry about running into apostates! For the love of Pete . . . (I always wanted to get that into a post! :D )

But most of the time I report is from online. Because of that I could easily report Aux Pioneer hours. Maybe more. But I keep my report at about national average to stay under the radar. Cautious as serpents, if you know what I mean.

If it was just me I wouldn't count time. My master knows better than me what I have done. And all this stuff about door-to-door and informal witnessing - nonsense! Witnessing is witnessing. But when in Rome . . . (And as long as I can keep a good conscience.)

Bobcat

Stranger

#49 Post by Stranger » 2 years ago

Bobcat wrote,
Goodness gracious! And they worry about running into apostates! For the love of Pete . . . (I always wanted to get that into a post! :D )

Well after all your posts, I'll take that as an honor for making it possible.

Couple things I would like to say about JwW apostates

1) Most are self educated.
2) Most are willing to work.
My master knows better than me what I have done.
Maybe you're not as self educated as I indicated.
(And as long as I can keep a good conscience.)
And Spiritual Armor! (Ro 13:12)

Stranger, (1Co 12:28) Standing By!

Bobcat

Re: Bible Study Resources - Ancient Records & the Structure of Genesis (Book)

#50 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

LRW has mentioned the book, Ancient Records and the Structure of Genesis several times. I wanted to provide some information about it here:

Here is a forum discussing the book.

Here is a PDF that refers to the book and discusses the toledoth idea (including what looks like a very useful table in it).

And here is the book available via Amazon.

Bobcat