The English language,where are we headed?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Stranger

Re: The English language,where are we headed?

#21 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bruno wrote,
Sorry Stranger you may have misunderstood me. My fault, I probably didn’t spell it out correctly :)

I didn’t mean to say it was a bad thing to be a bee.

A honey bee only has one sting and dies after using it, so he has to make it count.
Don't you dare apologize to me, my equal brother! We are all in this together, there is no other way.

BTW, "she has to make it count", not him! He is not equipped.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_L-S-0Gc4I

Stranger, (2Tim 3:16)

Marina

#22 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago
Marina wrote,

Hi Stranger, not sure you and I are on the same wavelength. I'm talking about the Bible as literature, not the OED. The Bible doesn't change and over where I live they used to be very harsh on spelling mistakes, let alone comprehension.
Well you better get sure, cause we are! I've always been taught "accentual value" is the main ingredient in any setting. (2Co 3:3)

The Bible doesn't change , but the translations do, don't you agree?

Stranger
What is accentual value?

Ok you have different Bible translation but if you are really seeking the truth you check what you have in those translations. When people fled because they wanted freedom to live by the Bible's principles, they took the Scriptures with them in their vernacular language. So that had a significant influence on the languages that came to dominate. If you live according to wise principles you will be more successful. That would include not being lazy or drug taking etc. Also helping others and trying to keep the peace.

Why English came to dominate I'm not sure. I can suggest reasons like trade, British Empire etc. But Spanish is also widely spoken, so which is the dominant language?

Also, when it comes to computing, you have not only a language but a way of thinking - and you'd better make sure you put the comma in the right place!
Marina

goghtherefore

#23 Post by goghtherefore » 1 year ago

Re: "...you'd better make sure you put the comma in the right place!"

Like: No. Don't. Stop.

or

No, don't stop.

😎
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Bobcat

#24 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Like: No. Don't. Stop.

or

No, don't stop.

"No. Don't. Stop." - What a parent tells a toddler about to get into something. :naughty:

"No, don't stop." - What you tell your wife when she is spooning your favorite dish onto your plate. :heart2:

Bobcat

Stranger

#25 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Marina wrote,
What is accentual value?
Hi Marina,

"Accentual value" is a term that floated around the schools and neighborhoods I grew up in... back home, were many Hispanic (Latin Americans) friends and peers. We had to mix tongue (so to speak :lol: ) to get a ra'pore, then a friendship. It's was a blessing of the spirit of our locale. I'm sure other neighborhoods have experienced the same thing. Social studies and language arts in school at first, had me wondering why I was there...., considering I was born and raised English, you know I could talk real good already. But as time went on (tic-toc) in social settings, if we wanted to mingle and converse, we didn't mind splitting tongues, that's the way it worked, accentual value was something that held our trust in one another. "It denotes tones the heart and bowels listen to, with the utmost attention"*. It's not a one way signal, it always transmits and it is always received in every direction.

That's my definition, if someone has another I would love to hear it.... please do tell. Seems like some older books had some info on it, but it must be lost or mishandled information.

*Stranger, Representing

Stranger

#26 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

I just wanted to relate this information to this thread, I got a good feeling it's gonna be handy one day, maybe soon maybe not.

We all basically at least know what a legal word is, but what about spiritually communicated phrases or by-phrases', how should we be dealing with them or do they even exist?.......... (Gal 5:17)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word

Stranger

#27 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Stranger, (Dan 9:21-22)

Stranger

#28 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Just gandering through the site Bobcat turned us all onto the other day. Thanks Bobcat!

This looked interesting not only for the fact of where we are headed but also from where we are from. ETP's (English tongued peoples).

www.worldwidewords.org/reviews/re-cry1.htm

Stranger, (Ps 39:1)

Stranger

#29 Post by Stranger » 6 months ago

Words that hide the Truth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZy8Jqqm6U

Stranger, (Ps 55:21)

Stranger

#30 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

Looking at the binding on my Bible and seeing it is very worn and in rough shape I was debating on getting a new one. I decided not to for the simple reason that I can find most any scripture in my old one that fits the season. (Ec 3:1) While I was looking at it I saw the word Bible on it and I spelled it from right to left (backwards). The meaning I got from doing that was El-B-I-B. So I put the word if in front of El added an e after the first and last B. (Isa 44:6)

So with my form of decoding I came up with: If EL Be I BE, a.k.a, I AM that I AM, a.k.a. The Word of God, a.k.a. The Bible.

Stranger, (Rev 22:13)