The English language,where are we headed?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
goghtherefore

Re: The English language,where are we headed?

#11 Post by goghtherefore » 1 year ago

Aoccdrnig to a study at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

😎
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Stranger

#12 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

goghtherefore wrote,

Aoccdrnig to a study at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a* porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

* it makes sense with or without the "a", but sounds and looks better with it. (IMO)!

But then again, I've never won a spelling bee contest, my chances would probably get a lot better if I were actually a bee. :whistle:

Stranger, (Jn 1:1 NWT!) :lol:

Bruno

#13 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

goghtherefore wrote:
1 year ago
Aoccdrnig to a study at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

😎
That’s a great illustration. I love it! I’m surprised at how easy that was to read. I wasn’t even sure if some of those words were spelled wrong :)
The scriptures contain enough information to know the beginning and the end. We started in paradise and will end in paradise, Rev. 22:1-5.
Everything else is subject to change in the middle, except one thing, God. Numbers 23:19 ; Hebrews 13:8 ; James 1:17

Rev. 1:8
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Although in the middle there are some troubled waters...

John 16:33 (NIV)
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

https://pics.me.me/we-know-how-this-all ... 959977.png
Karl

Bruno

#14 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago

But then again, I've never won a spelling bee contest, my chances would probably get a lot better if I were actually a bee. :whistle:

Stranger, (Jn 1:1 NWT!) :lol:
Careful what you wish for Stranger :)

Karl

Marina

#15 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago
Marina wrote,
I think for language to flourish, there must be literature to read.
Hi Marina,

It has been estimated that in order to understand 95% of what we read in English, we need only to know 1.75% of the words in the Oxford English Dictionary!

"What the pyramids were to the ancient Egyptians, the Oxford English dictionary is to English Language scholarship,- the most impressive achievement of our civilization."

The difference is that inside the OED, pulses something alive, growing and evolving.

Hi Stranger, not sure you and I are on the same wavelength. I'm talking about the Bible as literature, not the OED. The Bible doesn't change and over where I live they used to be very harsh on spelling mistakes, let alone comprehension.
Marina

Marina

#16 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

goghtherefore - in a legal setting, if you spell Watchtower Watch Tower you are talking about different companies. So words and their spelling do count. Understanding is one thing, but the setting within which you understand something is also important.

For example a pile of bricks in a builders yard is a pile of bricks but exhibited in an art gallery it is art.

Also every time you log onto this site, how vital is it that you spell your login details correctly?
Marina

Bruno

#17 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

Marina wrote:
1 year ago
goghtherefore - in a legal setting, if you spell Watchtower Watch Tower you are talking about different companies. So words and their spelling do count. Understanding is one thing, but the setting within which you understand something is also important.

For example a pile of bricks in a builders yard is a pile of bricks but exhibited in an art gallery it is art.

Also every time you log onto this site, how vital is it that you spell your login details correctly?
Hi Marina,

And even art has multiple dimensions to it. From one side he looks like he is playing in the snow.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 85476.html
Karl

Stranger

#18 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Marina wrote,

Hi Stranger, not sure you and I are on the same wavelength. I'm talking about the Bible as literature, not the OED. The Bible doesn't change and over where I live they used to be very harsh on spelling mistakes, let alone comprehension.
Well you better get sure, cause we are! I've always been taught "accentual value" is the main ingredient in any setting. (2Co 3:3)

The Bible doesn't change , but the translations do, don't you agree?

Stranger

Stranger

#19 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bruno wrote,

Careful what you wish for Stranger :)
Hi Bruno,

According to what JohnS wrote, being a bee is not such a bad thing!
Your true brothers and sisters are scattered worldwide and when you meet one, and see their devotion to the word of Christ, and preaching, and ministering to the physical and spiritual needs of many they seek out to help...

...many things will be clarified for you. And you will begin a new life, with new friends, and new vistas. A whole huge brotherhood is out here in the world.

The ‘sons of God’.

And they are busy bees, and their love is manifest in many
Stranger, (Is 7:18)

Bruno

#20 Post by Bruno » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago

Hi Bruno,

According to what JohnS wrote, being a bee is not such a bad thing!
Your true brothers and sisters are scattered worldwide and when you meet one, and see their devotion to the word of Christ, and preaching, and ministering to the physical and spiritual needs of many they seek out to help...

...many things will be clarified for you. And you will begin a new life, with new friends, and new vistas. A whole huge brotherhood is out here in the world.

The ‘sons of God’.

And they are busy bees, and their love is manifest in many
Stranger, (Is 7:18)
Sorry Stranger you may have misunderstood me. My fault, I probably didn’t spell it out correctly :)

I didn’t mean to say it was a bad thing to be a bee.

A honey bee only has one sting and dies after using it, so he has to make it count.

The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work. 1John 3:8

Now since the children have flesh and blood, He too shared in their humanity, so that by His death He might destroy him who holds the power of death, that is, the devil, Hebrews 2:14

When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come to pass: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” 55“Where, O death, is your victory?Where, O death, is your sting?” 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law 57But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ! 1 Corinthians 15:54-57

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 13:15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

I've just noticed verse 15:13 becomes 13:15 :eek:

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a2983469358_10.jpg
Karl