The English language,where are we headed?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Stranger

The English language,where are we headed?

#1 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

" The English language is an immigrant tongue in the New World. One that swam ashore, illegal and uninvited, in the seventeenth century
and immediately pushed out all the competition."

Is this Jehovah's design, Satan's or man's?

Stranger

Bobcat

Re: The English language,where are we headed?

#2 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Yo, Stranga', wha'tis? (or, alternately, 'su'up?)

Some English history here. Or as Cap'm Picard would say, "H'yer."

Your home boy,
Bobcat

Genesis

#3 Post by Genesis » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago
" The English language is an immigrant tongue in the New World. One that swam ashore, illegal and uninvited, in the seventeenth century
and immediately pushed out all the competition."

Is this Jehovah's design, Satan's or man's?

Stranger
There were at least four European "new" languages arriving during the early creation of the New World.

English
French
Spanish
Portuguese

Genesis

#4 Post by Genesis » 1 year ago

Is this Jehovah's design?

Has freedom of religion resulted?

Marina

#5 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

Emmanuel - you think it is Hebrew? Well yes it is but there is some Hebrew in French. Emma (with) nu (us) el (God) - nous in French is us.

Latin, Greek and Hebrew - you can find them all mixed in English. And there are some English words which may have a Hebrew origin but they are not identified academically as such. For example - highway in Hebrew is pronounced something like missile. So perhaps English is a great mish-mash, which if you examine it carefully, tells you a lot about the origin of the words.

Welsh contains some Hebrew. Many of the leading men in America came from Wales.

I don't know much about Spanish and Dutch but they too are part of the same world that came from the Western side of the fallen Roman Empire.

I know French carries many Latin words and German many Greek.

As the Jews were dispersed, their Hebrew language was merged into those cultures where they found shelter. Christians with no Hebrew background turned to the Jews to help them translate the Bible.
Marina

Stranger

#6 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bobbyboycat wrote,
Yo, Stranga', wha'tis? (or, alternately, 'su'up?)
Some English history here. Or as Cap'm Picard would say, "H'yer."

Your home boy,
Bobcat
B.C., s'up nay burr?

I got sum goodies on deck, but 1st I got to ice down from this S.E. fyor we been inhaling rounda bout these here parts, don'tcha feel it?

Stranga, (than fick shin)!

Marina

#7 Post by Marina » 1 year ago

I think for language to flourish, there must be literature to read. The children of Christians who were sent public schools, where they learnt Latin and Greek, would get a major head start on the others if they had been taught the Bible in Latin or Greek at home.

The public schools in England started after the monasteries had been closed down. Some monasteries became public schools. I'm talking circa 1600s to 1700s.

Many of those who went to America in the early days were Christians fleeing religious persecution, so they took with them their Bible and whatever language they were reading it in. Both English and Spanish flourish in America so I understand.
Marina

Stranger

#8 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

I know people who are no slouch, but I've never actually met a slouch.
I know people who are no spring chickens, but where, pray tell, are the people who are spring chickens?
Where are the people who actually would hurt a fly?

When a pig gets laryngitis, is it then disgruntled?

As one frog said to the other, "Time's fun when your having flies."

If we get seasick on the sea, airsick in the air and carsick in a car, then why don't we get homesick at home? And speaking of the home, why aren't homework and housework the same thing?

Why is it that when the sun and the moon and the stars are out they are visible, but when the lights are out they are invisible, that when I clip a coupon from a newspaper,I seperate it, but when I clip a coupon to a newspaper I fasten it, and that when I wind up my watch I start it, but when I wind up this post I end it?

Stranger

Stranger

#9 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Genesis asked,
Is this Jehovah's design?

Has freedom of religion resulted?

Could you please rephrase your questions to this forum?

Thank you!

Stranger

Stranger

#10 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Marina wrote,
I think for language to flourish, there must be literature to read.
Hi Marina,

It has been estimated that in order to understand 95% of what we read in English, we need only to know 1.75% of the words in the Oxford English Dictionary!

"What the pyramids were to the ancient Egyptians, the Oxford English dictionary is to English Language scholarship,- the most impressive achievement of our civilization."

The difference is that inside the OED, pulses something alive, growing and evolving.

Stranger, (2Co 3:3)