Greg Stafford

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Message
Author
User avatar
Nightingale
Posts: 477
Joined: 7 years ago

Greg Stafford

#1 Post by Nightingale » 3 years ago

Anybody remember Greg Stafford? He was a witness and wrote 2 books about the JWs in the late 90s, the first one defended them and the second one criticized them. Eventually he left the Org. Just noticed that he recently began posting videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6IRK12TUI
"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom."

jo-el
Posts: 1125
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#2 Post by jo-el » 3 years ago

Yes I watched a debate between him and James White. It was either about the Trinity or more likely the Deity of Christ. At the time he was an active JW and then I believe he left the org and was attempting to branch off as Christian Witnesses of Jah or something. I will see where he's at now though, thanks for the tip!

jo-el
Posts: 1125
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#3 Post by jo-el » 3 years ago

jo-el wrote: 3 years ago I will see where he's at now though
And now I have .... :cry:

User avatar
Nightingale
Posts: 477
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#4 Post by Nightingale » 3 years ago

jo-el wrote: 3 years ago
jo-el wrote: 3 years ago I will see where he's at now though
And now I have .... :cry:

Was it bad? I haven't had time to check it out much yet.
"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom."

leaving_quietly
Posts: 766
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#5 Post by leaving_quietly » 3 years ago

His video posted today pretty much says Jesus says he's not God because of his response in John 10 where he was accused of blasphemy because he said he was God's son, making himself equal to God. That's when Jesus refers to the scriptures that says 'you are all gods'. Stafford's position is that here Jesus is denying he is God. I don't think that was the intention of Jesus' response. The intention seems to be: hey, now... if I'm making myself equal to God and that's blasphemy in your eyes, then aren't you being blasphemers, since your own scriptures say 'you are gods'? I've reread the account several times today, and this is what I'm getting from it.

Vox Ratio
Posts: 235
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#6 Post by Vox Ratio » 3 years ago

Nicely said, LQ.

It doesn't seem to me that Jesus understood the Jews grievance as an intimation that he was claiming ontological identity with the one God of Israel here, since, if he did, then quoting Psalm 82:6 becomes a roaring non sequitur. If we must assume anything, then we must assume that Jesus knew precisely what his opponents were thinking in order to confute their reasoning.

Rather, Jesus seems to be carefully laying out what we might call an a fortiori argument; specifically, an If I am, then you more so type of argument. It's a genius use of scripture and demonstrates his peerless comprehension of OT motifs. In particular, Jesus clearly shows that even if the Jews could properly condemn him, then they would be all the more deserving of condemnation that he was. Magnifique!

Proselytiser of Jah
Posts: 336
Joined: 5 months ago
Contact:

Re: Greg Stafford

#7 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 3 months ago

I recently discovered Greg Stafford (he was mentioned in a book I bought, "Divine truth or human tradition"). I really like a lot of his work and his videos on YouTube.

However, I don't know why or what I've done to upset him, but he seems to have blocked me from his YouTube channel, made all my comments invisible to the public, and has prevented me signing up to his web forum, which is sad as I was hoping to connect with more like-minded brothers.

I don't suppose anyone knows him well here?

I figured he was a very open minded Christian who was up for accepting differences of opinion, as he's engaged in many open debates and states that his "golden rule" is to believe in Yehovah (Jah), believe in Jesus as the separate Son of Jah, and to have love for one another.

So I assumed he was undogmatic. He often calls people and their channels out in his videos for deleting comments or blocking people who can't debate or rebuke their stances, yet... from what it appears he's done that exact same thing with me. We've had no friction, I've not insulted him, so my only conclusion is that he doesn't like my opinion because perhaps he doesn't have answers for them... which I was quite saddened by as I didn't take him to a hypocrite... that is of course if that's the case.

I emailed him in a very polite manner on a separate account that was not blocked to see if I could make peace and come to some kind of understanding, but he never replied (it's been about two to three days), and I'm still blocked.


The only thing I did was kindly state my honest opinion on why I disagreed with his scriptural interpretations on polygamy in the NT (by means of using the scriptures and applied logic), as well as innocently stating that there was a translation error in the Greek OT scrolls when we compare them to the Hebrew scrolls at Exodus 4:14 on one of his videos. I've said nothing else, nor anything worthy of being blocked in my opinion (especially considering that he's put up with far worse people, such as extremely aggressive Trinitarians on his channel by the looks of it).

So either 1.he feels threatened by my stances/power of reason, 2. he knows he's teaching a false doctrine and doesn't want to be exposed, or 3. there has been some massive misunderstanding somewhere, but he hasn't even replied to my attempts to try and gain clarity and mutual understanding... I don't want to judge, but it doesn't like good on his part, considering all the righteous preaching he does on accepting opinions, loving others, giving fair chances, and hating on people being dishonest or cowards.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Stranger
Posts: 2424
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#8 Post by Stranger » 3 months ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 3 months ago I don't suppose anyone knows him well here?
I don't know him at all, but I know how to take a hint. It would seem he doesn't want to talk to you, that could be for many reasons but probably just a few.

He may not care for all the things you say and do.

It could be that you make him feel intimidated, I think that's the answer you're looking for. I don't think that it's true though, anyone calling himself a PoJ shouldn't come across as intimidating and trying to match wits with anyone. Now a researcher of Jah (RoJ), could have those difficulties expressing his research. To be honest that's more the way I see you as.

I do know of this Stafford pretty well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-4mpwJQBFk


Stranger, (Acts 16:27-28)

Proselytiser of Jah
Posts: 336
Joined: 5 months ago
Contact:

Re: Greg Stafford

#9 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 3 months ago

Stranger wrote: 3 months ago
Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 3 months ago I don't suppose anyone knows him well here?

It could be that you make him feel intimidated, I think that's the answer you're looking for.

Not at all, I'm not looking to rub my own ego that way, it's just the vibe I'm getting. It's very uncharacteristic of his behaviour (of which I've observed anyway), he willingly argues with many people and trades thoughts and scriptural reasoning. With me, I was just blocked out right for sharing a view point/disagreement without at all being insulting or mean, nor was I being dogmatic. So I just sought out answers was all. I had hoped to become friends with him and his group.. but I guess that's not happening.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Stranger
Posts: 2424
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Greg Stafford

#10 Post by Stranger » 3 months ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 3 months ago Not at all, I'm not looking to rub my own ego that way, it's just the vibe I'm getting. It's very uncharacteristic of his behaviour (of which I've observed anyway), he willingly argues with many people and trades thoughts and scriptural reasoning. With me, I was just blocked out right for sharing a view point/disagreement without at all being insulting or mean. So I just sought out answers was all. I had hoped to become friends with him and his group.. but I guess that's not happening.

Like I said, I don't know the guy. What I wrote was the "vibe" I got. Perhaps he's too busy for you then. All the exJW's I know are at this site and are really the only one's I care to hang out with. The way I see it is, if they had any sense they would be here but then again stupid people already have all the answers.


Stranger, (Acts 16:28)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest