Can Satan read our minds?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Phoebe

Re: Can Satan read our minds?

#31 Post by Phoebe » 1 year ago

Our God knows each of us, inside out.
Our prayers are known to Him before we even begin to form words, silently or aloud.
His Spirit knows us, His Son knows us..our hearts and the things growing and issuing out of our hearts.

I do NOT believe that Satan can ‘read’ our minds - although we can open ourselves to be controlled or shaped by ‘his’ world.

Satan is a created being.
His power had limits. God tells us so.

Your Father loves and desires your well being - you are safe with Him, all your thoughts, feelings and innermost inclinations are safe with Him.

And if Satan can actually ‘hear’ our audible prayers ( which I question) you can be sure our Holy and Living God keeps us safe when we speak aloud to Him, and only Him.

Our prayer is sacred. We are protected.
We are safe guarded.

Bobcat

#32 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Phoebe,

Thanks for weighing in with your viewpoint.

For my part, I agree with probably 99% of your post. Maybe 99.9%. And yet my conclusion is a slightly different from yours. I think a lot of that difference is simply one's point of view. How one looks at the question.

Bobcat

Phoebe

#33 Post by Phoebe » 1 year ago

Hi Bobcat,

Yes I did rather ‘weigh in’ with my viewpoint than offer a more stimulating and discussion orientated response! 🤓

Looking at the question, I would say...
When I was younger, business colleagues would say I had a sixth sense and was highly intuitive. I’d personally put this down to some unconscious sense of picking up clues, through speech patterns, body language etc etc. I just ‘got’ it.

I didn’t have to work hard to get that ‘gut’ reaction...it just happened unwilled if you like. Like, I didn’t studiously apply body language science read from books.

So, I figure, if we can second guess situations or outcomes with pretty good accuracy - how much more so a supernatural being with so much power?

What do you think? You said you’d agree maybe 98-99 %?
What’s the 1% that takes a certain viewpoint? 🙂

Bobcat

#34 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Phoebe (I can't remember where you are located, I was about to say across the pond, but I think that's Marina who is in England),

Anyways, from one aspect the subject is a bit of an academic exercise.

It appears to me that the topic is mostly being seen as a yes-or-no question. But I see it more as a question of degrees, where "yes" means entirely or 100% And "no" means none at all or 0%

From that view, God rates as a "yes." And Jesus possibly also, or if not 100%, then, very close to it.

Something else I might be seeing differently than others is what is meant by 'reading our minds.' To me, the mind, like every other organ, is connected to the rest of our bodies. For example, if one wanted to know blood pressure, one would use a tester around the arm. If one wanted to know if a heart valve was working correctly, a stethoscope could be used to listen to the sounds the heart makes. Or an EKG could detect other things about the heart. In these different ways the heart is being "read."

In a similar way, the brain operates both chemically and electronically. The brain also has an organization of functions and memories. All these things are detectable even by humans to one degree or another. In fact, humans are already experimenting with machines that are operated by the user's thoughts. (For example, here.) There are also machines that "read" a person's thoughts. For example, a lie detector (or polygraph) can often detect whether a person is telling the truth. It may be primitive and limited in what it can "read," but it is a form of 'mind reading.' It is certainly not equal to what God can do, but it does rate above the 0% level of mind reading ability. In my book, anyways.

Someone might argue that a polygraph is not really reading the mind, but it is reading signals from other parts of our bodies. But that is what I meant when I said that the brain is connected to everything else in the body. There is a relationship between what happens in our bodies and what is going on in our minds. And an experienced person can, theoretically, observe our bodies and, have a good idea about what is going on in our minds.

One of the ways a mind can be "read" is by electrical activity. Humans have learned that various parts of the brain have specific functions. So that, when electrical activity is observed in a certain section of the brain it can be equated with certain body functions and/or thought patterns. That certainly doesn't rate as 100% mind reading like God is able to do. But it is better than 0%.

On to spirit creatures now.

When it comes to mind reading, I would rate Satan as better than humans, maybe even much better. But also much less than God.

Imagine walking along and coming up to a brick wall that is in your way. Naturally, you go around it to continue on your way. You see the brick wall as a solid obstacle. A spirit travelling in the same direction also comes upon the brick wall. But he doesn't see it the same way as you do. He sees no obstacle at all and travels right through it. What was solid to you was not solid at all to him.

The point I am making with the illustration is that, to us, our minds are hidden behind a cranium and a bunch of hair (most of us, anyways :whistle: ). We need special instruments to detect brain activity. A spirit doesn't. He can see what is happening in the brain. And he has also had thousands of years of observations to compare with. So in my thinking, he has some ability and advantage in gaging what a person might be thinking about. Not to the level God does. (Compare Gen 22:12) But certainly way better than humans.

Well, the wife is calling, so I'll leave it at that.

Bobcat

RR144

#35 Post by RR144 » 1 year ago

For that matter can any spirit creature read our minds? I tend to think not. I believe only Jehovah and Jesus can hear our prayers, especially if you are spirit begotten.

I tend to think Satan and his demons are limited, especially now that they are under chains of darkness. I don't think Satan as a god could hear our prayers or even understand God's plan. If that were so, he could read the Bible and know what God was up too. For that matter, if he truly understood, he would have surrounded Jesus with protection, making sure he never died, that way the ransom could not be paid and mankind could not be redeemed.

Just a thought!

RR

Phoebe

#36 Post by Phoebe » 1 year ago

Hi Bobcat,

‘The wife calls’ - good to hear you know her voice...and respond accordingly. 👍

My husband has definitely become more attuned to my ..ahem...dulcet tones (?) over the years.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a really interesting reply.

I’d like to think on things a little more - one thing that I found myself questioning was the spirit nature passing through material nature...I get what you are saying.
We are talking about different dimensions here, right?

Do you think that our God is able to ‘veil’ the ‘sight’ of Spirit beings?

I’m wondering if just because a being is Spirit, does it mean it has all the keys to ‘pass through’ and have access to all aspects of our material dimension?
That includes our very souls...

I believe we are protected, provided we don’t actually open and invite dark spiritual activity with no godly fear.

Just a thought or two....to be honest, it’s not an area I would usually spend time thinking over too much.
Or would want to. I guess you’d feel the same.
But, I do believe our Father keeps us safe, which is why I ‘weighed in’ 🙂

Oh - And I’m a mix of UK and Down Under!

Thanks again for your ever patient attention to clear explanations and references Bobcat.

Phoebe.

Bobcat

#37 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Just a thought regarding brick walls and angels:

Like everything else in the physical realm, brick walls are made up of a huge number of atoms that are held to each other by nuclear forces. At our level of existence the brick wall appears to be solid and impenetrable. But to a spirit being, theoretically at least, he could pass thru the cloud of atoms making up the brick just as easily as we pass through the air around us. (Compare this article.)

Similarly, if he (a spirit being) is immune to the Higgs field (for which see links here), he would not be limited to less than light speed as we are. He would also be without mass. And being without mass would also allow him to make right-angle turns at any speed without the effect of G-forces. (Compare Ezek 1:12, 16, 17; See also this post.)

I can also see the possibility that demons have some restraints placed upon them that make it possible to safeguard the obedient.

And on why Satan killed Jesus, we had a thread on that here for anyone interested.

Bobcat

Stranger

#38 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote: 1 year ago I can also see the possibility that demons have some restraints placed upon them that make it possible to safeguard the obedient.
Hi Bobcat,

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Surely it is less plausible to see the future than to know a stranger's thoughts?

Unless someone practice deliberate concentration, almost all thoughts you think throughout your day are uninvited.You did not invite them and, to be sure, some are unwelcome.
Bobcat wrote: 1 year ago Similarly, if he (a spirit being) is immune to the Higgs field, he would not be limited to less than light speed as we are. He would also be without mass. And being without mass would also allow him to make right-angle turns at any speed without the effect of G-forces. (Compare Ezek 1:12, 16, 17)
Your semi- frenetic description of the above is just beyond current human understanding of effect and method, but at the same time you have achieved the illusion of a free decision. Good job!

Stranger, (Lam 4:19)

Bobcat

#39 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Stranger,

You'll be happy to know that no G-forces were harmed in the making of that post. :D

Bobcat (In case you didn't know, non-Catholics are massless also.)

PS: I'm frenetic on my father's side; but my mother is Irish. So yes, I am semi-frenetic. :crazy:

Stranger

#40 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote: 1 year ago PS: I'm frenetic on my father's side; but my mother is Irish. So yes, I am semi-frenetic.
Hi Bobcat,

Semi is a pretty handy word, and I'll tell you another word that I have made lots of money on, borderline. When I'm not 100% about a diagnosis I'll throw that in to take the ball out of my court and put it right into the customer's, that way I get them to make the call and 9 times out of 10 they will go with an affirmative decision. So let that be a lesson to you all if you're dealing with a mechanic and he/she tells you something is borderline. Another word that has been beneficial to me is intermittent.
An intermittent problem will almost always necessitate a prolonged investigation.

Speaking of intermittent, that's what I actually meant when I said that "of course Satan can read minds", he does it intermittently and even more regularly to those in a weakened state. (drugs, alcohol, depression, mad at the world, etc. etc.)

Stranger, (Job 12:5)