Can Satan read our minds?

Chat about anything you like here that doesn't fit under Bible Doctrines. Keep the subjects clean and refreshing to all.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Dajo1

Can Satan read our minds?

#1 Post by Dajo1 » 5 years ago

Hello,

I was having a discussion with a person who used to be a medium and was involved heavily in spiritism. He says he still gets harassed by demons from time to time and he was having his dreams affected lately. He said there was a Q from readers in a WT some years back that stated Satan and the demons couldn't read our minds. My wife adamantly disagrees and said the demons and Satan could not read our minds -However they do observe our actions and what we DO.

Any scriptural thoughts/knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.

Thank you - David

Bobcat

Re: Can Satan read our minds?

#2 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Dajo1:

Greetings first!

Even humans are starting to be able to 'read' minds. A number of devices that use an operators' thoughts to control a machine are beginning to appear (a la the movie FireFox). See here for example.

I think it was Thomas Penton (not the DJ) who discovered that if you probed a particular spot on the brain you could elicit a vivid memory. Probing the same spot again would elicit the same memory. Thus, the brain has an organization that can be understood by others than just God himself.

I kind of think this is how the Devil tempted Jesus (in vision) on the 'high mountain' and on 'the battlement of the temple.' The high mountain drew on Jesus' prehuman view of 'the kingdoms of the earth.' And the view from the battlement of the temple was likely in Jesus' memory from visits there with his family as he was growing up. The temptation need not have included literally throwing himself down. Simply choosing that option in his mind would set in motion the process that would ultimately lead to sin. (I am thinking that Jesus was very likely under close scrutiny by Satan from the time he was born. So the memories and maybe even the locations in the brain where those memories were stored had been catalogued by Satan, in one way or another.)

Theoretically, as an electro-chemical processor, the brain should be open (to some extent anyways) to anyone who has the ability to see at that level and understand how such things operate and are organized.

It is also possible that the answer to whether Satan can read minds is somewhere in the middle of yes and no. And as the older WT pointed out, observation is also an indirect method of reading minds. But personally, I think Satan's ability in this area goes beyond just outside observation.

On the other hand, I'm thinking not everyone rates the kind of close scrutiny by the demons that Jesus would have gotten.

Bobcat (and his thoughts)

menrov

#3 Post by menrov » 5 years ago

Hi...God and Jesus can read hearts. They 'see ' your motives. I never read they can or do read our mind (I hope not :D)
Understanding motives is also through experience. Satan and demons are around from the beginning. They also understand humans. But as humans have a free will, their actions might not always be in line with what would be expected considering reputation and normal motives. In other words, reading or understanding our motives of past actions is no guarantee of an accurate prediction of a future action.
That is what I believe the bible shows. Thereare various examples of people acting different from what God, Jesus or Satan.expected (Adam, Job, Samaritan women at the well) .

Orchid61

#4 Post by Orchid61 » 5 years ago

Hi Mentov,

Jona and the inhabitants of Nineveh come to mind also :)

Kind regards willy

AmosAU

#5 Post by AmosAU » 5 years ago

I'll ask an associated question; "When we pray silently, how can God here our prayer unless He reads our minds?"

If He can't or doesn't read our minds, what's the point of praying?

Several verses show that Jesus read peoples thoughts when He was on earth. Sorry but I don't have the time at present to insert these references.

Regards, Amos.

Daniel12

#6 Post by Daniel12 » 5 years ago

Several verses show that Jesus read peoples thoughts when He was on earth
Like this one;

Luke 5:22 Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, "Why are you thinking these things in your hearts?

Daniel12

#7 Post by Daniel12 » 5 years ago

There no doubt that the human mind can be infiltrated in one way or another by God or Satan.

God

(Acts 2:17) . . .And in the last days,” God says, “I will pour out some of my spirit on every sort of flesh, and your sons and your daughters will prophesy and your young men will see visions and your old men will dream dreams. . .

(Genesis 40:9) . . .So the chief cupbearer related his dream to Joseph, saying to him: “In my dream, there was a vine before me. . .
Then Joseph said to him: “This is its interpretation: The three twigs are three days. 13 Three days from now, Pharʹaoh will bring you out, restoring you to your office

Satan
Luke 22:3 Then Satan entered Judas,
Had to be his mind not his body.

Have humans figured out a way to gain access to the brain to access information?????

We know they are thinking about it. (for bad purposes of course) :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-a58Wt2tk

Hisclarkness

#8 Post by Hisclarkness » 5 years ago

To say that God "reads our minds" sounds a bit strange to me. Certainly God knows our every thoughts but it's not because he "reads our minds". Rather, His spirit quite literally dwells within us (1 Corinthians 3:16). We all have a part of God within us. This is how we are made in His image. And this is why he can not only hear our prayers, but even hear our unuttered groanings (Romans 8:26-27). It is his spirit that literally communes within us that gives us thoughts of eternal life and growing Godward in love (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

Satan and the demons cannot presently inhabit any person unless they actively invite him into their presence. Especially can he not adversely affect the God-knowing individual who has both the spirit of God and the spirit of Christ communing within them (John 16:33; 1 John 4:4; 5:4).

Of course we still live in this world and can suffer under the consequences of unforeseen occurances and other evils. But there is no doubt in my mind that Satan cannot "read my thoughts".

Dajo1

#9 Post by Dajo1 » 5 years ago

Hello.. and thankyou for your various and thought provoking replies,
you have given me much to consider. I have been able to expand my replies to the original question.
HisClarknes said:

"Satan and the demons cannot presently inhabit any person unless they actively invite him into their presence. Especially can he not adversely affect the God-knowing individual who has both the spirit of God and the spirit of Christ communing within them (John 16:33; 1 John 4:4; 5:4)"
that comment was particularly encouraging.
I continue to learn from everyone here, thank you!
David

Dajo1

#10 Post by Dajo1 » 5 years ago

Hello Amos,
I will be writing to you again soon..PM or email maybe over the weekend.
you raise a valid point about how obvious God reads or minds when we pray.
Satan is a god .. but I don't think he could hack our conversation with Father.
David