The Lord's Evening Meal - How Often?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: The Lord's Evening Meal - How Often?

#21 Post by Bobcat » 6 years ago

LQ:
The word "firstfruits" is applied in different ways. . .

This was a fascinating post. I gotta do some research on this. Thanks for posting this.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#22 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Wanted to link another post related to this thread so as to make it easier to find. It has information similar to the first post in this thread: Here

Bobcat

anderestimme

#23 Post by anderestimme » 5 years ago

There could have been 20-25 yearly observances before he speaks these words;
Not in Corinth. If we take the JW timeline at face value, Paul formed the Corinthian congregation around 50 CE and wrote 1st (and 2nd) Corinthians around 55 CE. If he wrote 1 Cor before Passover, and considering that he spent 18 months with the Corinthians after forming the congregation, there would have been only 3 or 4 Passovers in between. If he were talking about a trend that had presented itself in an annual celebration, that's precious little time.

Bobcat

#24 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

considering that he spent 18 months with the Corinthians after forming the congregation, there would have been only 3 or 4 Passovers in between.
Actually, as I showed in the OP, 18 months would equal roughly 78 (give or take) weekly meetings during which the Lord's Evening Meal was "eaten."

As an aside, the NWT outline for 1Co 11:17-34 has "Observing the Lord’s Evening Meal." But the chapter itself (1Co 11) has "eat the Lord's Evening meal" (1Co 11:20), "eat it" (1Co 11:21); "keep doing this" (1Co 11:24), "Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me" (1Co 11:25), "For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup . . ." (1Co 11:26), "Therefore, whoever eats the loaf or drinks the cup . . ." (1Co 11:27), "then let him eat of the loaf and drink of the cup . . ." (1Co 11:28), "For the one who eats and drinks . . ." (1Co 11:29), "when you come together to eat it . . ." (1Co 11:33)

Clearly (as the WT likes to say), "observing it" means "eating and drinking," not watching. Going by 1Co 11:17-34 there is no such thing as "observing" the Lord's Evening Meal if one only has in mind being there to observe.

Bobcat

DeborahsTree

#25 Post by DeborahsTree » 5 years ago

Jesus picked the Passover festival for good reason. He was the Passover lamb. That night he did not associate his body with manna but with the body of the lamb sacrificed at Passover.

Manna had nothing to do with sacrifice!

Mat 26:26 While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is My body."

The bread used at the Passover was unleavened, a fitting emblem of Christ's body as well as his whole existence and nature. It is associated with the immediacy of the original meal. The Jews did not have the time to allow the bread to rise, the destruction of the firstborn and the exodus was upon them. This is also a fitting picture for his Apostles, the Lamb would die that night and their lives, the lives of the firstborn, would be spared.

John 18:8,9 Jesus answered, "I told you that I am He; so if you seek Me, let these go their way," to fulfill the word which He spoke, "Of those whom You have given Me I lost not one."

The Passover is intimately connected with the occasion of the Last Supper. They are intertwined the first presaged the other. The very meaning of the unleavened bread is the unblemished body of the Passover lamb sacrificed. To celebrate the eating and drinking of the unleavened bread and wine outside of the very event which prophesied it is to risk diminishing its meaning, the root of it.

When Jews and followers of Christ remember the Passover/Memorial of Christ's death on the same day; Jesus still lives on earth. The original connection between Jew and Christian lives.

There is no doubt when Christ instituted the Last Supper. It is clear and precise- at the Passover. The description in Corinthians however is not as clear and precise. Daily, weekly? Every time they met together in prayer or a meal? Perhaps.

Passion for the Christ should be expressed as often as one is moved by God's spirit to do so.

Christians are free to gather together at Passover to remember the sacrifice of their Lord on the day he died and do as he commanded; eat the unleavened bread and drink the wine. And we are also free to remember our Lord after and before each Memorial season; as often as our hearts and God's spirit impel us whether daily or weekly.

We are free.

Deborah

Bobcat

#26 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

A portion of a 1917 WT that describes the then view of who could partake at the Memorial: Here.

It is interesting how things have changed.

I also linked this to post # 2 in this thread (here).

Bobcat