Research Resources

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Research Resources

#1 Post by Bobcat » 7 years ago

After a brief discussion on another thread with our esteemed colleague GWIT (GodsWordIsTruth), I thought I would start this thread as a clearing house for reference works (Bible and otherwise) that you find useful (or not useful) in your personal research. It could be a printed reference or an online reference. And if you have any comments about the reference (or parts thereof) that might help others in using it.

Links to various Bible translations and Hebrew/Greek resources would also be appreciated.

As a starter I would like to introduce my favorite Interlinear NT: The Word Study Greek-English NT (Paul R. McReynolds, Tyndale Press). See here for a look see.

It has the NRSV in the side column with the UBS3 Greek master text, a very literal interlinear rendering into English below the Greek, and Strong's numbering above the Greek (except for definite articles - these have a numbering system [1-24] that allows you to identify the inflection of the article).

Best of all, this also has a Greek concordance in the back with page number links to various other references (BDAG, L&N, NIDNTT, Kittel). See here for an example of what you can do with a Greek concordance.

I've heard that this reference was the result of a class project (Mr McReynolds is a professor of Greek and NT at Pacific Christian College in Fullerton, CA). It gets much use from me, and thus occupies prime real estate on my desk. I used this interlinear to put Strong's numbers into my copy of BDAG (a two week lunch time project at work).

The link above has the lowest price I know of. But I have occasionally seen it at Books-A-Million in the religious section in the $35.00 range.

I don't want to recommend for anyone to spend their hard earned money. So I leave any buying decisions up to you. I've sometimes wished I had a second copy to keep in my truck when I'm away from home. But I've resisted the urge up till now. :D

Bobcat

imacountrygirl2

Re: Research Resources

#2 Post by imacountrygirl2 » 7 years ago

Bobcat, I think this is grand idea. For those of us looking for a bargain, I buy most of my books at half.com. Some of them are used, but all books include an accurate description of the condition of the book. At the site below, they have a copy of "Word Study Greek-English New Testament : With Complete Concordance by Paul R. McReynolds (1999, Hardcover)" in "Good" condition for $15.59. I put books on my wish list and I get updated emails with the price and availability of books I'm looking for. I've ordered many books from this site and never been disappointed by the condition of any used books. I only buy from highly rated bookstores.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Word-Study ... 39&tg=info

The book is also available on Amazon as low as $13.86.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... oncordance
I love clever and witty sayings...I just can't think of any right now.

menrov

#3 Post by menrov » 7 years ago

I have shared this before. I find this resource most helpful:
https://lumina.bible.org/bible/Matthew+1 (you can select any other verse of course)

It offers many footnotes and explanations regarding use of words or why a certain phrase was translated as it is. It has a very good search capability. Clicking on Bibles offers you the option to select another translation. Clicking Greek gives you the chapter you are reading in Greek and by moving your mouse over the English words, it highlights the Greek word. It works also the other way around. Clicking on a Greek word, will show some information about the meaning of that word. Clicking on Library will show you a large list of reference material in the chapter or book you are reading in the bible.

This site: http://studybible.info/LXX_WH/Revelation%205:10
is ok, looks a bit like biblehub but more on one screen and I believe a few difference resources. Just replace revelation 5:10 with another verse and you can see many interlinears, bible translations and other material.

Bobcat

Re: Research Resources New NT in PDF

#4 Post by Bobcat » 4 months ago

A new and recent translation of the NT in PDF format: Here.

It has numerous footnotes. It appears to be missing the writings of Paul and Hebrews.

This page appears to be his home page for the translation.

Bobcat

AmosAU

#5 Post by AmosAU » 4 months ago

Hi Bobcat,

Thanks for this great find. I'm sure it will be of use for those who do research.

Regards,
Amos.

Bobcat

#6 Post by Bobcat » 4 months ago

Thank you Amos. I try to keep my eyes open for possible gems. (Mt 13:45)

For the reader wondering why I said, "... the writings of Paul and Hebrews," see this post.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Research Resources - Lexundria

#7 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

A Digital Library of Classical Antiquity: Here.

Bobcat

coccus ilicis

#8 Post by coccus ilicis » 1 month ago

I find the WT's 'Comprehensive Concordance' invaluable. I found a cheap second-hand copy online. And I also use the 'Apostolic Lexical Concordance', which is the concordance for the Greek OT, https://biblehub.com/interlinear/aposto ... esis/1.htm. The pdf file can be downloaded here: https://www.apostolicbible.com/concordances.htm

I guess each of us has books or looks for information in the areas that most interest us.
LRW~

Bobcat

#9 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

Here is another web page with numerous links to various online resources.

This Reddit AcademicBiblical thread has additional links to online resources.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#10 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

The German Bible Society home page: Here.

Bobcat