Research Resources

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
FriendlyDoggo

Re: Research Resources

#11 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 1 month ago

Sites to read early writings:

Early Church Writtings (Church Fathers)
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/c ... thers.html

New Advent (More Fathers)
https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

Gnosis.org (Gnostic)
http://www.gnosis.org/library.html
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

Stranger

#12 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 month ago
The German Bible Society home page:
Every word matters in academic biblical research!
Hi Bobcat, I haven't read much of the sites material but I do like what they said in the quote above.

Stranger

coccus ilicis

#13 Post by coccus ilicis » 1 month ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 month ago
The German Bible Society home page: Here.
Bobcat
Hi Bobcat

Concerning the German Bible Society, here is something of interest from the German Bible.

John 4:14 in the German Luther Bible of 1912
wer aber von dem Wasser trinken wird, das ich ihm gebe, den wird ewiglich nicht dürsten; sondern das Wasser, das ich ihm geben werde, das wird in ihm ein Brunnen des Wassers werden, das in das ewige Leben quillt.

Johannes 4:14 German: Textbibel (1899)
Wer aber trinkt von dem Wasser das ich ihm geben werde, den wird nimmermehr dürsten in Ewigkeit, sondern das Wasser, das ich ihm geben werde, wird in ihm ein Quell werden von Wasser, das sprudelt zu ewigem Leben.

The word quilt is the past tense verb of the noun Quell or Quelle.

Wikipedia The Q source (also called Q document, Q Gospel, or Q from German: Quelle, meaning "source") is a hypothetical written collection of primarily Jesus' sayings

There never was a source document, his sayings were transmitted orally that became in those that heard them ...a fountain, [Quelle],
bubling up, [quilt], to impart everlasting life. How wonderful is that.

I have a 'read out loud ap,' that I use to hear what I have written, mainly to pick up mistakes. I got it to read the above text. After 1912 it started reading in German and continued reading the English with a German accent. How funny is that.
LRW~

coccus ilicis

#14 Post by coccus ilicis » 1 month ago

coccus ilicis wrote:
1 month ago
Bobcat wrote:
1 month ago
The German Bible Society home page: Here.
Bobcat
Hi Bobcat
Concerning the German Bible Society, here is something of interest from the German Bible.
The above translations can be found here
LRW~

Bobcat

Re: Research Resources - Q Source for Luke

#15 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

There never was a source document, his sayings were transmitted orally that became in those that heard them ...a fountain, [Quelle], bubling up, [quilt], to impart everlasting life. How wonderful is that.

That is interesting to know where the "Q" came from in "Q Source." But I'm curious. How do you know there "never was a source document"?

Bobcat

coccus ilicis

Re: Research Resources - Q Source for Luke

#16 Post by coccus ilicis » 1 month ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 month ago
There never was a source document, his sayings were transmitted orally that became in those that heard them ...a fountain, [Quelle], bubling up, [quilt], to impart everlasting life. How wonderful is that.
That is interesting to know where the "Q" came from in "Q Source." But I'm curious. How do you know there "never was a source document"?
Bobcat
I base it on what it says at Lu 1:1,2,4.
Since he/Luke changes from the third person to first person at Acts 20:5 saying: ...These were accompanying us in Troas. We know that this is when he becomes a disciple of Jesus.
And at Lu 1,2 he says that many have undertaken to compile a statement of the facts that are given full credence among us. Ending his introduction with ... that you may know fully the certainty of the things you have been taught orally...

Thus these early written accounts he refers to could not have included his own account. Hence no comprehensive Q document exists.

We know that the fourth gospel was a written account (Jhn 21:24,25), probably in Greek, and that Revelation was written in Hebrew, see Rev 10:4 and Rev 22:2, where the Heb word for timber, Gr. xulon is used, see
anything made of wood, a piece of wood, a club, staff; the trunk of a tree, used to support the cross-bar of a cross in crucifixion. Xulon like sheep can be singular or plural. And mindful of what it says at Rev 22:18, 19, they didn't dare meddle with that.

Whereas when Jesus's oral teaching was translated and recorded in Greek, he used 1186, tendron tree. At one point Paul appears to have lost patience with those translating Jesus's oral teaching saying that they were mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words, (1Tim 6:4).

PS: in post 13 above I said
The word quilt is the past tense verb of the noun Quell or Quelle.
That's wrong, it should say: quilt is the verb of the noun, Quelle.
LRW~

Bobcat

#17 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

This Reddit AcademicBiblical thread (here) has links to Israel's National Library and what are called 'ancient Christian manuscripts' that were put online.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#18 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Web article, The Jewish World of Jesus: A Historical Overview. Can be read here.

It is a brief history of Israel in the Promised Land.

Bobcat