Faithful and discrete slave - Luke

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Faithful and discrete slave - Luke

#31 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

Here was some research I posted on another site regarding the faithful slave parable. Re-posted here to catalog it. It was in response to someone asking if "the faithful slave" could be rendered "a faithful slave":
In my resources, I can't find any manuscript evidence that would support "a" faithful slave. The article before "faithful and discreet slave" is uncontested.

However, the parable begins with a rhetorical question of which there are many examples in Matthew. (Mt 6:27; 7:3, 9; 12:11; 18:12; 21:28; as well as the other gospel accounts) To argue that Jesus is making a specific distant future assignment by asking a rhetorical question to his then audience is nonsensical.

Or look at it from the first century perspective. He had already made assignments of the 12 apostles. So, if Jesus is asking, 'Who is going to be put in charge?', what would be the effect on the apostles? In fact, Peter's question in Luke 12:41 already assumes that the apostles were the chosen leaders of the disciples. And so, Peter asks if Jesus' illustration in Luke 12:35-40 (about being hard-working slaves) applies only to them, or does it branch out to all the disciples. Jesus' parable of the faithful slave, begun with the rhetorical, 'who really is such a slave?', naturally would cause all disciples to ponder there own faithfulness.

Concerning the phrase, "Who really is ...", there is an interesting footnote in Darrell Bock's commentary on Luke (BECNT p.1178) that says, "On the syntax, see [I. H.] Marshall 1978: 540 and Black 1967: 118-19, who argue that the Greek structure reflects a Semitic idiom: "If there is a steward, ... he will be blessed when ..." "

Unfortunately, I don't have either of the references mentioned. Marshall's is available on Google Books as a review, but page 540 is not one of the pages reviewable. It would be interesting to see what they say.

Concerning "really" (Greek ara; Strong's #686), in the question, "who really is ...", BDAG says, "freq[uently] in questions which draw an inference fr[om] what precedes; but oft[en] simply to enliven the question." In Luke (12:42) it is in response to Peter's question, "Lord, are you saying this illustration (from Luke 12:35-40) to us or also to all?"
Bobcat

Bobcat

#32 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

This post has some research on the difference between Luke's "that slave" and Matthew's "that evil slave." Linked here for referential purposes.

Bobcat

tslawson1

#33 Post by tslawson1 » 1 year ago

Bobcat,

You asked about the use of the article with the phrase ὁ πιστὸς δοῦλος and the particle ἄρα at Matt 24:45.

The particle ἄρα is uses to introduce a question and need not have an emphatic sense. In the phrase ὁ πιστὸς δοῦλος the adjective is in the 1st attributive position in relation to the noun which puts the emphasis on the adjective. So it is the quality of faithfulness that is in view more than the noun.

Putting these these things together it may be an over translation to make ἄρα explicit in English and the focus should be on the question of who the FAITHFUL slave is. Also πιστὸς is linked with φρόνιμος by καὶ making them a grammatical unit and together they qualify δοῦλος.

So we might English it as Who is the FAITHFUL and DISCREET slave...?

Τίς ἄρα ἐστὶν ὁ πιστὸς δοῦλος καὶ φρόνιμος ὃν κατέστησεν ὁ κύριος ἐπὶ τῆς οἰκετείας αὐτοῦ τοῦ δοῦναι αὐτοῖς τὴν τροφὴν ἐν καιρῷ;
(Matt. 24:45 GNT28-T)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat

#34 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I can actually read some of the Greek, just from 'messing' with it over many years. But I still have to consult references for the details.

If the F&DS parable interests you, you might like this post.

There is a great deal of interesting research amassed on this forum.

Bobcat

tslawson1

#35 Post by tslawson1 » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote:
52 years ago
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I can actually read some of the Greek, just from 'messing' with it over many years. But I still have to consult references for the details.

If the F&DS parable interests you, you might like this post.

There is a great deal of interesting research amassed on this forum.

Bobcat
If anyone is interested in learning to read Hellenistic Greek or Ancient Hebrew a friend of mine is arranging to teach an online class on Hebrew for free beginning January. You’ll only have to purchase the textbook. There are still openings.

And I can arrange a group for Greek using David Alan Blacks textbook and his videos which I can make available for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk