"Was John 6:4 added to the Bible?"

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

"Was John 6:4 added to the Bible?"

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

A very interesting four part video series here. I'm not an expert on this, but I thought I'd introduce this here for those interested in looking into this topic, or may have something of their own to contribute.

They bring up evidence that it's possible John 6:4 was added into scripture later and causes some potential chronological issues with Jesus' ministry and events, and that removing it fixes the raised issues. The first position of the part 1 video speaks of the additions the KJV added to Acts as a topical introduction, so if you want to skip that to the main topic of the video, go to 29:25

"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Proselytiser of Jah

Re: "Was John 6:4 added to the Bible?"

#2 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

(EDIT, I mean to say skip to 29:25, if I mod could edit my post for me that would be great)
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Stranger

#3 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

It's not my own but here's a study note from the NET.

4 sn Passover. According to John’s sequence of material, considerable time has elapsed since the feast of 5:1. If the feast in 5:1 was Pentecost of a.d. 31, then this feast would be the Passover of a.d. 32, just one year before Jesus’ crucifixion.
Seems plausible.

Stranger, (Heb 11:28)

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Hi PoJ,

Stranger is picking up on my secrets! The NET has a lot of informative footnotes.

You might want to also look here. On the line starting with "6:4," that is Jn 6:4. You will see at some of the other verses there are notations in red. These signify variations in the text according to different MSS. There are no notations for Jn 6:4 indicating that the verse is well attested in the MSS.

I'm going to look at this more on the morrow. The writer is telescoping time. This might be some evidence (admittedly, indirect) for a writer of the account who wasn't a regular traveling companion of Jesus (i.e. here).

I hadn't had a chance yet to look at the video. I would be curious to see their reasoning. But what I said just above is something that came to mind. They might be assuming that John is the writer of the 4th gospel account and wondering why he would move thru time like is evident in the account. But if the original writer was someone who didn't travel regularly with Jesus (and Judean at that), that might explain the writer's interest, or disinterest, in things the synoptics include.

At any rate, that was my initial thought. I'll look closer at it tomorrow.

I also am linking this thread to Stranger's thread here. And cross-linking to here in my Lazarus thread as well.

Bobcat

Stranger

#5 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

Just had a real good post get lost somewhere in the dark web, it felt like, I was kidnapped* tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGQoIQ0QNk

Stranger

Stranger

#6 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

Bobcat wrote: 1 week ago Stranger is picking up on my secrets!
Don't worry Bobcat, I know when to keep my mouth shut. (Pr 21:23)

"As long as we stay down under the tree line we might be alright ". (Isa 58:8) :)

Stranger

www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBe5z0qwRE

Stranger

#7 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

If you haven't read this yet, it may be of value to you Proz.
https://textualwarfare.blogspot.com/201 ... bible.html

Stranger

FriendlyDoggo

#8 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 1 week ago

Hi PoJ, don't trust Nehemia's claims:

My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

Illusive

#9 Post by Illusive » 1 week ago

People who argue that verses were added usually are trying to defend some niche theological stance. I'm always seeing weird fringe guys say "I think X verse was added because it disagrees with my stance on Y"
Latin Catholic. Professional Super-Villain. Founder of Cerberus. Follower of the Shepherd who is the savior of humanity. Dank meme enjoyer

Theme song: https://youtu.be/PnuSL7oUimA

Contact me on Discord - The Illusive Man#5157

Proselytiser of Jah

#10 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

Illusive wrote: 1 week ago People who argue that verses were added usually are trying to defend some niche theological stance. I'm always seeing weird fringe guys say "I think X verse was added because it disagrees with my stance on Y"
This is actually mentioned in the video series, and they claim that is not their goal and that bias should "never" be the agenda, but they have to have actual evidence (in this case historical and manuscript evidence, and even citing the church fathers). For me, I don't wish to make an assumption or bias either way. There is either evidence for these things, or there isn't.

For this specific scripture, it doesn't even change any major doctrines either, but the topic really is the length of Christ's ministry and how this one scripture potentially changes that, depending on its authenticity.