Divine Simplicity - who here knows it?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
AmosAU

Re: Divine Simplicity - who here knows it?

#21 Post by AmosAU » 2 weeks ago

Hi Illusive,

I've just had a thought;

Is Divine Simplicity at all related to the "oneness doctrine?"

Here is a good breakdown of oneness belief;

http://www.biblestudyguide.org/articles ... ctrine.htm

Regards, Amos.

Illusive

#22 Post by Illusive » 2 weeks ago

AmosAU wrote: 2 weeks ago Hi Illusive,

I've just had a thought;

Is Divine Simplicity at all related to the "oneness doctrine?"

Here is a good breakdown of oneness belief;

http://www.biblestudyguide.org/articles ... ctrine.htm

Regards, Amos.
No the oneness Pentecostals don't believe in Divine Simplicity sadly. Classical Theists and adherents to Divine Simplicity firmly reject Adoptionism, Sabellianism and any form of Modalism as well. Modalism is a serious heresy because it leads to polytheism, since it basically says God has three different parts within himself or "forms" within himself that are separate from one another.

As for Monarchianism, that is also a heresy I suspect is borne out of misunderstanding, but I have not read enough about them to know if they agree with Divine Simplicity or not. Muslims for example, say they believe God is one but they also say God has parts, which is crypto-polytheism. It may be the case that the Monarchianists accept Divine Simplicity but misunderstand the position of Classical Theists, I'd have to read their literature to know so I won't comment. It is often the case that people think that when we refer to the "persons" of God we are indicating three different individuals or minds within God. But we are not doing that because to do so would be polytheistic. God can only be one in essence, and cannot have three parts within himself.
I say this as a trinitarian, it is impossible for us to be monotheist if we thought God has three individual parts.

It is easy for people to misunderstand the language of trinitarians and think that they are referring to God having three parts, three minds, or three essences in one. But that would be illogical. The "Father" the "Son" and the "Holy Spirit" are merely symbolic words to indicate something true about the oneness of the divine mind.
Latin Catholic. Professional Super-Villain. Founder of Cerberus. Follower of the Shepherd who is the savior of humanity. Dank meme enjoyer

Theme song: https://youtu.be/PnuSL7oUimA

Contact me on Discord - The Illusive Man#5157

AmosAU

#23 Post by AmosAU » 2 weeks ago

Thanks for explaing this. I didn't think they would be related.

In the first three centuries CE/AD, there were many different sects and cults that appeared. Some of these have been re-created or resurrected in more later centuries.

It's all very interesting for me to discover history as it progressed down through the ages.

Regards, Amos.

Proselytiser of Jah

#24 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 2 weeks ago

Question for Illusive from the Jesus worship thread
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Illusive

#25 Post by Illusive » 2 weeks ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 2 weeks ago

Question for Illusive from the Jesus worship thread
I actually think I'm not fully understanding your question but think about this - I can show you how Gods knowledge and his power are one and the same pretty easily.

I'll talk a bit about the concepts of power and knowledge.

Think about what it is to be all-knowing, and what it means to be all-powerful.

Well, a man can "do" things because he has the power to do things, and he has the "power" to do things because he knows how to do them, and he can know how to do them because he has the power.

God can do all, because he has the power to do all, and God knows how to do all, because he has the power to know how to do all. So in him, they are the same.

Power:
God can do all, because he knows how to do all.

Knowledge:
God knows all, because he has the power to know all.

Everything that exists is in Gods thought or knowledge, and God knows everything about by perfectly knowing himself since creation is in his thought.

Also check this out.

A good symbol to help you think about it maybe, I hope. The one thing is "expressed" in the many colors, yet the light itself remains simple.
Latin Catholic. Professional Super-Villain. Founder of Cerberus. Follower of the Shepherd who is the savior of humanity. Dank meme enjoyer

Theme song: https://youtu.be/PnuSL7oUimA

Contact me on Discord - The Illusive Man#5157