"The Rapture"

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
FriendlyDoggo

"The Rapture"

#1 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 1 month ago

Since as a child I always wondered from where comes this idea of people being taken up to the sky or simply disappearing with the clothes for behind, this article explain how this view was developed:
The return of Jesus is a central teaching in the New Testament and is foundational for Lutherans and other Christians. But this isn’t the same as the rapture, a word that isn’t in the Bible.

I first heard about the so-called rapture in college when fundamentalist Christian students tried to convince me that if I did not embrace the theology of Hal Lindsey’s 1970 book The Late Great Planet Earth (Zondervan) I would be “left behind” when Jesus returned.

Similar fears about Jesus’ second coming have been instilled in young people more recently by the “Left Behind” novels, a fictional series set during the supposed seven-year period around Jesus’ coming in the so-called rapture.

The entire rapture notion is antithetical to traditional Christian theology. While proponents claim the rapture is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, they employ a highly selective pick-and-choose literalism. This theology was invented less than 200 years ago, but it has gained prominence in American culture through televangelists and radio preachers. Rapture theology raises questions about the Bible’s view of prophecy, violence and even Middle East policy. This theology should be challenged and replaced with a more biblical understanding of Christian hope for the future of the world and of Jesus’ coming again.

The notion of the rapture, or a sudden snatching of Christians up into the air, was invented in the 1830s by British preacher John Nelson Darby, founder of the Plymouth Brethren.
https://www.livinglutheran.org/2013/06/end-times/

This article shows the view of the early church:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/eschat ... rly-church
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

goghtherefore

Re: "The Rapture"

#2 Post by goghtherefore » 1 month ago

Hi FriendlyDoggo

After quickly skimming through your posted links...I saw no discussion about the only scripture I know of that relates to your topic:

1Thessalonians 4: 14...

"14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words."

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Bobcat

Re: "The Rapture"

#3 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

Hi Doggo,

In connection with "the hour of test" in Rev 3:10, see the "Notes" section of this post which has some reference quotes that suggest that the faithful are not removed from the tribulation, but protected through it.

Bobcat