Why do we 'drink' the wine and not 'pour' it? (Lord's Supper)

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

Re: Why do we 'drink' the wine and not 'pour' it? (Lord's Supper)

#11 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

Kerry Huish wrote: 1 week ago The Lord's evening meal is a communion meal.
In a communion meal the worshipper partakes of the offering.
This is why we eat the bread and drink the wine - it is a communion meal.

If you reject a communion meal after it has been provided for you then you are also rejecting peace with God and showing contempt for His set table.
Peace with God is obtained by the sin offering and whole burnt offering that precedes a communion meal. Faith in said offerings is what gives peace.
After peace is obtained then a worshipper partakes in a communion meal.

Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

To reject the meal is bad, but to partake of the meal unworthily is likewise bad.
To eat - when you have no peace - is to show contempt for the communion.

1 Corinthians 11:27-31 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.
I agree.

This thread isn't talking about partaking vs not partaking. But rather is asking "why is the wine drank and not poured on the ground like the blood of an animal is during sacrifice and communion". For example, even during the passover, blood was not drank from the literal lamb, put was poured out and put on a door post. One would think that the wine would be poured out, just as it is with a real sacrifice, since I assume, the bread and wine represent partaking in the offering (of which, the Jews did not consume the blood when they offered up animals, but they did eat the body of flesh).
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Kerry Huish

#12 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 week ago

Our mouth can be likened to doorposts or an entryway into to our body - a persons body can be likened to a temple, tent, house or building.
So splashing the blood across the figurative doorway is what one symbolically does when drinking the wine.

The reason the blood was splashed over doorposts in Egypt was to protect from the Destroyer.
Similarly today, if one has faith and peace with God, then to continue in peace they must continue to splash the blood over the symbolic doorways in faith until the realization of their faith is obtained.

To refuse to splash the blood across our symbolic doorways by pouring it out on the ground or rejecting it would be bad and would not protect us from the Destroyer.
At the moment, the vast majority of people are unconcerned by this but the time is approaching when an accounting will be made of all those who dwell on the earth and those who have faith will live by reason of it.

Some people believe the wine turns into actual blood = transubstantiation.
I do not believe this, the wine is symbolic of blood and the life-force that is in it.

Kind Regards

Kerry
Revelation 10:7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”

QuestionsFromReaders

#13 Post by QuestionsFromReaders » 1 week ago

The ancient Passover was prophetic. Pointing to the Christ our Passover Lamb who saves us and releases us from bondage to sin and death and leads us to the Promised Land; spiritual communion with God; the New Covenant.

Exodus 12:12  ‘For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and fatally strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the human firstborn to animals; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments—I am the LORD. 

Exodus 12:13  ‘The blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you live; and when I see the blood I will pass over you, and no plague will come upon you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt. 

Was the Passover Lamb a sin offering? No.

Who were saved by the Passover Lamb's blood splashed on the doorway? The Firstborn.

John 10:7  So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 10:8  “All those who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 

John 10:9  “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 

Who is the door through which the sheep enter and then exit to the Promised Land? Jesus.

John 3:5  Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 3:6  “That which has been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which has been born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 3:7  “Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

Is there a correspondence to the group saved at Passover to Christians then and today?

Yes. Christians who are born again.

Exodus 12:7  ‘Moreover, they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses in which they eat it.' 

Additional question:

How many places on the cross did Christ's blood splash upon with the entering of each nail into his flesh? 3

Proselytiser of Jah

#14 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

QuestionsFromReaders wrote: 1 week ago

Additional question:

How many places on the cross did Christ's blood splash upon with the entering of each nail into his flesh? 3
Depends on who you ask and what the shape of the torture tree was and how people were mounted.

Most evidence points to a cross or T shape, but the way people are mounted according to Roman evidence was nails were put through the sides of each ankle individually on each side of the post. So this would indicate all four limbs may have been separate from one another.

In this case, we could say four places.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

QuestionsFromReaders

#15 Post by QuestionsFromReaders » 1 week ago

Yes, I have seen that.

I am not here to debate, what you believe is what you believe.

That is how it should be.

Proselytiser of Jah

#16 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

QuestionsFromReaders wrote: 1 week ago Yes, I have seen that.

I am not here to debate, what you believe is what you believe.

That is how it should be.
I wasn't aware there was a debate? I thought we were sharing ideas together, I have no stance on anything here :) :lol:

To make things clear:

I believe in partaking of the emblems (I say this because some people seem to be taking the title of my thread as to mean I don't partake, that I argue against partaking, or that I 'actually' pour the wine, these are NOT positions I hold nor will ever promote, it is a theology discussion on "why" we drink the wine instead of pour it like the blood of an animal, and I've enjoyed all the answers so far :) ).

QuestionsFromReaders

#17 Post by QuestionsFromReaders » 1 week ago

I had no thought on whether you partake or not.

I think after leaving the JWs those who remain Christians do partake at some point.

Proselytiser of Jah

#18 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

QuestionsFromReaders wrote: 1 week ago I had no thought on whether you partake or not.

I think after leaving the JWs those who remain Christians do partake at some point.
Yes I've noticed that trend. JWs are unique in that regard. Everyone who leaves tends to partake, or it's one of the first steps they take upon the path to leaving, realising the Bible doesn't actually say "anywhere" that certain Christians shouldn't.

QuestionsFromReaders

#19 Post by QuestionsFromReaders » 1 week ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote: 1 week ago
QuestionsFromReaders wrote: 1 week ago I had no thought on whether you partake or not.

Yes I've noticed that trend. JWs are unique in that regard. Everyone who leaves tends to partake, or it's one of the first steps they take upon the path to leaving, realising the Bible doesn't actually say "anywhere" that certain Christians shouldn't.
The whole nation of Israel celebrated the Passover.

If the JWs view the Memorial as a re-enactment of the ancient Passover celebration then all JWs should partake whether they believe they are called to heaven (temple service) or not.

But if JWs believe the Memorial is strictly the passing of the bread and wine for those in the New Covenant, those anointed with God's spirit, those directly called to heaven by God himself, then only they should be partaking. It truly is a little flock.

Whatever the case, whatever the belief, God will make all things known.

goghtherefore

#20 Post by goghtherefore » 1 week ago

Re: "Whatever the case, whatever the belief, God will make all things known."

...things in this regard have been made known.

John 6:53 (KJ21)
Then Jesus said unto them, “Verily, verily I say unto you, unless ye eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.

Greetings,

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35