What do the feet & 10 toes of Daniel 2 TRULY represent?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Sevenz

What do the feet & 10 toes of Daniel 2 TRULY represent?

#1 Post by Sevenz » 2 weeks ago

I have watched videos on YouTube regarding the colossal image described in Daniel 2. One that I just finished watching interprets the feet & 10 toes of the image as representing "modern-day Europe". Notably, such a view restricts the feet & toes as representing only governments that are situated on the European continent. What do you personally think? Do you consider that view to be correct? Or do you think the feet & toes represent ALL governments, no matter where they are located around the earth? This is an important detail of the prophecy that we need to correctly understand, don't you think?

The stone that strikes the image hits the FEET and causes the entire image to come crashing down, depicting the coming of Christ and Armageddon. The kingdoms of the world will thus be replaced with Christ's kingdom. Jesus will rule over the earth for 1,000 years an then hand the kingdom over to his God, his father. At last God's kingdom will have "come," in answer to the model prayer that Jesus taught his followers: "Let your kingdom come." (Matthew 6:10) Needless to say that we are living at a time past the iron legs of the image, which depicted Rome. History teaches that Rome "fell" way back in the year 476 CE and here we are today in the latter part of the year 2001 CE. Thus the kingdoms depicted by the feet & toes have been ruling for an awfully long time!!!

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing which view that you think is correct:

1) Do you think the feet & toes represent "modern-day Europe"?
2) Or do you think the feet & toes represent ALL governments?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Sevenz

johnamos2.0

Re: What do the feet & 10 toes of Daniel 2 TRULY represent?

#2 Post by johnamos2.0 » 2 weeks ago

They represent the 7th king in which we are presently living under today and as Dan 2:41-43 describes, it certainly fits with what was recently said on 9/17/21.

I posted a link here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5657
1) Do you think the feet & toes represent "modern-day Europe"?
To be more precise as to your question choices, I would say 2.

On what you said here:
The stone that strikes the image hits the FEET and causes the entire image to come crashing down,depicting the coming of Christ and Armageddon
That is important to take note of. The reason it depicts the entire image instead of just destroying the feet and toes at that time is because the image as a whole represents the 8th king. So when the stone strikes the feet and toes it will be at the time the 8th king is in power, it won't strike them while 7th king is still in power. As can be seen in the comments of the head of the UN, 'solidarity is the only way out of disaster'. Meaning nations must join together under one. The result is the 10 kings giving their power and authority to the wild beast making it the 8th king.

investigate

#3 Post by investigate » 2 weeks ago

I agree with JohnAmos comments as well.

Slightly related - I believe Britain is not the "little horn" of Daniel 7:7,8 (I know -- there are many here that would argue for a 1st century fulfillment). If anything it may represent America -- America has "eyes like a man" (democracy), but the key here is that it plucks up 3 of the original 10 horns. If the 10 horns come from Rome (Daniel 7:7), then the little horn *is not part of Rome*, and comes *later*. England was occupied by Rome in 43 CE. (https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/lea ... nd/romans/). America was not. America defeated 3 of the "original" horns (Britain, France, Spain). Not being dogmatic but it fits a whole lot better than an Anglo-American world power.

FriendlyDoggo

#4 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 2 weeks ago

I'll take the second option:.

We didn't divide the world as West and East countries? The Democracies and the Autocracies?

Daniel 2:43 And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay. (emphasis added)

I understand the last part as "They mix, but not too well" you know what I mean?

It get even more impressive when you remember about the iron curtain:
The Iron Curtain formed the imaginary boundary dividing Europe into two separate areas from the end of World War II in 1945 until the end of the Cold War in 1991. The term symbolized efforts by the Soviet Union to block itself and its satellite states from open contact with the West and non-Soviet-controlled areas.
It interesting that in 44 the words appear in plural, the iron and clay can't be a single kingdom, maybe its refering to the presidential organization?

Daniel 2:44 “In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever. (emphasis added)

Once again, that's just a suposition.
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

johnamos2.0

#5 Post by johnamos2.0 » 2 weeks ago

It interesting that in 44 the words appear in plural, the iron and clay can't be a single kingdom,
Yes is does say; 'It will crush all those kingdoms'

I think answer 2 covers that:
When the stone puts a end to those kingdoms which is at Jesus' coming (Armageddon) it shows a number of players on scene.

1. wild beast from sea/8th king
2. wild beast from earth/false prophet
3. Kings of the earth (Which I assume that these are the 10 kings that give their power and authority to the wild beast)
4. Satan

[And I saw the wild beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the one seated on the horse and against his army.+ 20 And the wild beast was caught, and along with it the false prophet+ that performed in front of it the signs with which he misled those who received the mark of the wild beast+ and those who worship its image.+ While still alive, they both were hurled into the fiery lake that burns with sulfur.+ 21 But the rest were killed off with the long sword that proceeded out of the mouth of the one seated on the horse.+ And all the birds were filled with their flesh.+]

[And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven with the key of the abyss+ and a great chain in his hand. 2 He seized the dragon,+ the original serpent,+ who is the Devil+ and Satan,+ and bound him for 1,000 years]

It is not surprising to hear a number of kings (plural) during the 8th king's time when we think he should be a single king. This 8th king is unique in that he only has authority due to the kings that give it to him. Likewise that is what is said of the KFIC.

[Daniel 8:23 “And in the final part of their kingdom, as the transgressors act to a completion, there will stand up a king fierce in countenance and understanding ambiguous sayings. 24 And his power must become mighty, but not by his own power. And in a wonderful way he will cause ruin, and he will certainly prove successful and do effectively. And he will actually bring mighty ones to ruin, also the people made up of the holy ones. 25 And according to his insight he will also certainly cause deception to succeed in his hand. And in his heart he will put on great airs, and during a freedom from care he will bring many to ruin. And against the Prince of princes he will stand up, but it will be without hand that he will be broken.]

[Revelation 13:5 And a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies was given it, and authority to act forty-two months was given it.]

[Revelation 17:13 These have one thought, and so they give their power and authority to the wild beast.]

Also now I am just seeing that it seems that the feet and toes represent more than just the 7th king. It seems the feet are the 7th king but the 10 toes are the 10 kings that give their power to the wild beast. They must correspond to the 10 horns that are said kings which now really seems to complicate the topic of just talking about the feet and toes as one, the 7th king. But regardless no matter who the false prophet is, who are the 10 kings, and who is the 7th king, the wild beast will be the 8th king and he will be given his power for 42 months and they are ALL destroyed by the stone/coming of Jesus.

[12 “The ten horns that you saw mean ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but they do receive authority as kings for one hour with the wild beast. 13 These have one thought, so they give their power and authority to the wild beast.]

[41 “And whereas you beheld the feet and the toes]

FriendlyDoggo

#6 Post by FriendlyDoggo » 2 weeks ago

Hey johnamos, now you highlighted these passages I thought, could it be:

One hour = Last hour (Revelation 17:12, 1 John 2:18-27) ?
My english isn't very good, sorry any inconvenience.

johnamos2.0

#7 Post by johnamos2.0 » 2 weeks ago

Yes I would say so. I would add Revelation 3:10 in as well.

Bobcat

#8 Post by Bobcat » 2 weeks ago

On "the last hour" in 1Jn 2:18, see this post under the sub-title, Similar Last Days Terminology.

Bobcat

Sevenz

#9 Post by Sevenz » 2 weeks ago

Hi there johnamos,

Oh, wow! Thank you so much for EVERYTHING you have said, and especially for ALL of what you said here:
. . . the image as a whole represents the 8th king. So when the stone strikes the feet and toes it will be at the time the 8th king is in power, it won't strike them while 7th king is still in power.
I derived a great deal of pleasure in learning that you understand this the same way I do, that the image as a whole represents the 8th king. For the simple reason that in all my years of reading, watching, and listening to what others have said about Daniel 2, you are the ONLY person that I have run across who can actually see that when looking at a drawing or painting of the image described there you are in fact looking at the 8th king itself.
Revelation 17:10-11
10 And there are seven kings: Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet arrived; but when he does arrive, he must remain a short while. 11 And the wild beast that was but is not, it is also an eighth king, but it springs from the seven, and it goes off into destruction.
I remember when, several years ago, it first dawned on me that the 8th king was not missing in Daniel 2. At the time, I knew that the 8th king would be ruling when the stone/Christ's return/Armageddon would strike the image. I thought and thought about it for quite awhile, asking myself: "Where, oh where, is the 8th king represented in the image?" I thought some more and said to myself: "Hmmm . . . the 7th king is represented by the feet & toes and after that there is nothing else except the ground the statue is standing on." As I sat there, repeatedly pondering the contents of Daniel 2 and gazing at an artist's concept/painting of the image, it was like a lightbulb came on and it dawned on me that I was in fact LOOKING at the 8th king. And then to make it even more vivid I remembered having learned that the NAME the wild beast will have after its 10 horns have relinquished their diadems is "Babylon the Great". (If anyone doesn't know how this can be discerned with regards to the name, I will be happy to explain it to you.) I thought to myself: "Wow, the name of the 8th king is 'BABYLON the Great' and the image's head of gold represents Nebuchadnezzar's BABYLON. How appropriate is that! Nebuchadnezzar ruled the world in his day, the same as the 8th king "Babylon the Great will rule the world when it finally makes the scene.

My thanks to everyone who has commented so far. May Jehovah God through his Son Jesus aka Michael bless your sincere efforts at coming to a correct understanding of his marvelous Word, the holy Bible.

Sevenz

johnamos2.0

#10 Post by johnamos2.0 » 2 weeks ago

I derived a great deal of pleasure in learning that you understand this the same way I do, that the image as a whole represents the 8th king.
I do as well. It seemed pretty clear that the image as a whole was the 8th king for the simple reason that at the time the stone strikes the feet the 4 previous sections are also said to become as chaff at that time.

[34 You kept on looking until a stone was cut out not by hands,+ and it struck the image on its feet of iron and of molded clay and crushed them.+ 35 At that time the iron, the molded clay, the copper, the silver and the gold were, all together, crushed and became like the chaff from the summer threshing floor,+ and the wind* carried them away so that no trace at all was found of them.+ And as for the stone that struck the image, it became a large mountain and filled the whole earth.]
Nebuchadnezzar ruled the world in his day, the same as the 8th king "Babylon the Great will rule the world when it finally makes the scene.
On this, I am not sure I follow what you are saying. If you mean that the 8th/wild beast is BTG, that I don't see that same way. BTG has to be a separate player from the wild beast/8th king, the false prophet and the kings of the earth. It is said that the wild beast/8th king and the 10 kings are the ones that turn on BTG and destroy her/it.

It's not done divinely, but it does say that God is the one that causes them to take that action on BTG. (So in that respect it is divine.) On the other hand. the wild beast/8th king, the false prophet and the kings of the earth are done away with divinely at the coming of Jesus/Armageddon.

[16 And the ten horns+ that you saw, and the wild beast,+ these will hate the harlot+ and will make her devastated and naked, and will eat up her fleshy parts and will completely burn her with fire.+ 17 For God put [it] into their hearts to carry out his thought,]

[19 And I saw the wild beast+ and the kings+ of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage the war+ with the one seated on the horse+ and with his army. 20 And the wild beast+ was caught, and along with it the false prophet+ that performed in front of it the signs+ with which he misled those who received the mark+ of the wild beast and those who render worship to its image.+ While still alive, they both were hurled into the fiery lake that burns with sulphur.+ 21 But the rest were killed off with the long sword of the one seated on the horse,+ which [sword] proceeded out of his mouth.+ And all the birds+ were filled+ from the fleshy parts of them.]