Which Bible books should be canon? (66 vs 73+)

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

Which Bible books should be canon? (66 vs 73+)

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

So I'm curious, looking into the history of Catholicsm and the reformation, there were said to be "orginally 73 books" in the Bible at least. Whilst others say the reformers "corrected" the Bible. Does anyone have any firm reasoning on which outlook is the right one? Which books should we consider authentic and/or inspired of God?

The "addtional" Catholic books are OT

Tobit
Judith
Wisdom (also called the Wisdom of Solomon)
Sirach (also called Ecclesiasticus)
Baruch
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees

If there are 73 books (or more) and not 66, are we missing anything vital? Are we taking away from the word of God?

For example, some books are even quoted by Jesus and the Apostles at times, and there are some books that one may say are prophetic, a claim that there is "the book of wisdom", which foretold the details of the Jewish treatment of Jesus. If this is an authentic book which was accurate in prophecy, then it must be inspired, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-canon ... _the_Bible

Wisdom 2:12-20: "Let us lie in wait for the righteous man, because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions; he reproaches us for sins against the law, and accuses us of sins against our training. He professes to have knowledge of God, and calls himself a child of the Lord. He became to us a reproof of our thoughts; the very sight of him is a burden to us, because his manner of life is unlike that of others, and his ways are strange. We are considered by him as something base, and he avoids our ways as unclean; he calls the last end of the righteous happy, and boasts that God is his father. Let us see if his words are true, and let us test what will happen at the end of his life; for if the righteous man is God's son, he will help him, and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries. Let us test him with insult and torture, that we may find out how gentle he is, and make trial of his forbearance. Let us condemn him to a shameful death, for, according to what he says, he will be protected."

Matthew 27: 41-43: So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, "He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him; for he said, `I am the Son of God.’”

There are a lot of back and forth arguments on authenticity and who the authors were. Of course, what is important is that, "when were they written" and "did they accurately fortell", and we also have to consider consistency. Other books appear to be lost to time, which is sad.

Thoughts?
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Bobcat

Re: Which Bible books should be canon? (66 vs 73+)

#2 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Just for cross-reference purposes, this post (and on down through post # 100) discussed about the number of books in the Bible.

Bobcat

Proselytiser of Jah

#3 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 week ago
Just for cross-reference purposes, this post (and on down through post # 100) discussed about the number of books in the Bible.

Bobcat
Here I thought this was the only post of the topic. :lol: I did a search for "Bible books" and nothing came up, lol.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Hi PoJ,

My link was more about the idea of counting Psalms as 5 books. Yours is more centered around the Apocrypha. But they were close enough that I wanted to cross-link them. Perhaps something handy will come out of one or the other, or both.

Bobcat