Need help finding "Theon" in the Old Testmament

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

Need help finding "Theon" in the Old Testmament

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 3 weeks ago

So I've been investigating the word "Theon" which is the accusative form of Theos, usually used to refer to God in the New Testament.

I''ve been looking to see if I can find this accusative form in the Old Testament in the Greek versions of the Torah (Greek septuagints), but I'm having a hard time of it, and I don't know if anyone here know of any such verses? I've also been looking into transliterated New Testament texts (Greek to Hebrew) as an attempt to reverse engineer the language, but I'm a little stuck there as well with limited resources (I can find Hebrew NT bibles, but they don't have any searchable word functions and are rarely translated into English side by side). I know that Theos translates to Elohim in Hebrew, but I don't know if there are accusative and non-accusative forms of that word as it is in Greek, and I'd hoped to see if that was the case in Hebrew NT online bibles, but no luck so far as I can't find the detailed enough resources/appropriate tools.

What I'm aiming to look for is to see if the accusative form of "Theon" is uniquely attributed to God (or the Father) in the same way Hotheos is, as that "seems" to be the pattern in the NT. So I want to see if I can find that same pattern in the Greek versions of the OT (or alternativley if Hebrew has accusative forms of Elohim to refer to YHVH God uniquely), or if Theon is used to refer to other divines also in Greek OT texts.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Bobcat

Re: Need help finding "Theon" in the Old Testmament

#2 Post by Bobcat » 3 weeks ago

Hi PoJ,

Try this link. I already did the search. The link displays the results. Also check out the right column. It shows results by Bible book.

You certainly have your work cut out for you (313 times in 302 verses). I hope you find what you are looking for. (Just as a guess, I'm wondering if this has to do with Jn 1:1?)

Happy hunting,
Bobcat

Proselytiser of Jah

#3 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 3 weeks ago

Bobcat wrote:
3 weeks ago
Hi PoJ,

Try this link. I already did the search. The link displays the results. Also check out the right column. It shows results by Bible book.

You certainly have your work cut out for you (313 times in 302 verses). I hope you find what you are looking for. (Just as a guess, I'm wondering if this has to do with Jn 1:1?)

Happy hunting,
Bobcat
It does yes, and I've found a reference which has settled the matter. I am correcting my notes that "Theon" is 'not' unique to God. Exodus 7:1 calls Moses Theon. Therefore, an argument that "theos" without the Ho article never refers to God is debunked, because often God is called theos (theon being a mere alternative not a unique word), in Hebrew Elohim, without the article also.

However, this does not take away other textual arguments I have in regards to John 1:1 and other verses using these phrases. But it does mean I have to update my articles to be 100% honest and transparent.
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 3 weeks ago

Here is the BibleHub page on Elohim. It shows nearly 2600 occurrences. But in the right column (towards the bottom of the page) it shows all the individual forms of the word and how often they occur. If you click on the one you are interested in it will give you a concordance listing of just that form. Hope this helps some.

Bobcat

Proselytiser of Jah

#5 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 3 weeks ago

Bobcat wrote:
3 weeks ago
Here is the BibleHub page on Elohim. It shows nearly 2600 occurrences. But in the right column (towards the bottom of the page) it shows all the individual forms of the word and how often they occur. If you click on the one you are interested in it will give you a concordance listing of just that form. Hope this helps some.

Bobcat
Yes I've been reading that all morning, haha. Appreciated though!