OT vs NT

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Message
Author
Briaw
Posts: 1
Joined: 2 months ago

OT vs NT

#1 Post by Briaw » 2 months ago

Hi everyone
I`m quite new in search of the truth
Therefore I have some questions I hope some of you know the answers to:
Do we have to keep the commandments to keep the Sabbat? No work, do nothing every Saturday?
Are we to follow all of the Old Testament, or `just` the New Testament?

Kerry Huish
Posts: 410
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#2 Post by Kerry Huish » 2 months ago

Briaw wrote:
2 months ago
Do we have to keep the commandments to keep the Sabbat? No work, do nothing every Saturday?
No, the Sabbath law was part of the old law covenant, you are not under obligation to observe it as a Christian.

Romans 8:1,2 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you a free from the law of sin and death.
Briaw wrote:
2 months ago
Are we to follow all of the Old Testament, or `just` the New Testament?
2 Tim 3:16, 17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God a may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Kind Regards and welcome to the forum.

Kerry Huish
Revelation 10:7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”

Stranger
Posts: 2241
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#3 Post by Stranger » 2 months ago

Kerry Huish wrote:
2 months ago
No, the Sabbath law was part of the old law covenant, you are not under obligation to observe it as a Christian.

There you go again Kerry spreading your personal interpretation of what Christianity is, or should I say what you understand it to be as a JW.

When you quoted (2Tim 3:16) you should have said all scripture except the one about the Sabbath is God breathed or at least that He doesn't breath that one anymore, therefore making it defunct. The SDA's which outnumber the JW's would gladly take on your argument.

Welcome to the forum Briaw, where no answer is etched in stone yet. You are searching for truth you say, search for Christ He is easily found. (Jn 14:6)



Stranger, (Jhn 7:19)

Kerry Huish
Posts: 410
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#4 Post by Kerry Huish » 2 months ago

Stranger wrote:
2 months ago
Kerry Huish wrote:
2 months ago
No, the Sabbath law was part of the old law covenant, you are not under obligation to observe it as a Christian.

There you go again Kerry spreading your personal interpretation of what Christianity is, or should I say what you understand it to be as a JW.

When you quoted (2Tim 3:16) you should have said all scripture except the one about the Sabbath is God breathed or at least that He doesn't breath that one anymore, therefore making it defunct. The SDA's which outnumber the JW's would gladly take on your argument.

Welcome to the forum Briaw, where no answer is etched in stone yet. You are searching for truth you say, search for Christ He is easily found. (Jn 14:6)



Stranger, (Jhn 7:19)
John 10:5...
Revelation 10:7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”

Stranger
Posts: 2241
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#5 Post by Stranger » 2 months ago

Kerry Huish wrote:
2 months ago
John 10:5...

Stranger, (Matt 25:35)

Marina
Posts: 2507
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#6 Post by Marina » 2 months ago

Hi Briaw and welcome

You would have a problem following the Old Testament because it requires a Levitical priesthood, animal sacrifices and the Temple in Jerusalem. Also that entire arrangement was done away with once Jesus died. So no you cannot follow the OT. However the Law of Moses was never broken by Jesus Christ, therefore if we keep ourselves in Jesus Christ's love, his shed blood covers our sins. Jesus made it clear that God wants mercy not sacrifice and if we want our sins to be forgiven we should forgive others.
Marina

AmosAU
Posts: 1246
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Qld. Australia
Contact:

Re: OT vs NT

#7 Post by AmosAU » 2 months ago

Hi Briaw,

Welcome to the forum.

It's nice to have another truth seeker with us. I started my earnest search for truth in the late 1990"s. This has led me to many places and views that I ever knew existed. I am very much enriched by my walk, always listening to The still small voice of our Father.

Please give the following scriptures some prayerful consideration. Don't be hasty to discount any thoughts that come to your mind from the Spirit. There is much to be learned when we plead with our Heavenly Father to show us the way. HE is always faithful.

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. 

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. 

Rev 22:14  Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 

I have not given any emphasis to the verses quoted, as I want you to rely on God's Spirit to guide your thinking and perception. Trust in God,He will never fail us.

Kind regards, Amos.

User avatar
coccus ilicis
Posts: 773
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#8 Post by coccus ilicis » 2 months ago

Briaw wrote:
2 months ago
Hi everyone
I`m quite new in search of the truth
Therefore I have some questions I hope some of you know the answers to:
Do we have to keep the commandments to keep the Sabbat? No work, do nothing every Saturday?
Are we to follow all of the Old Testament, or `just` the New Testament?
Hello Briaw,

Welcome.

The thread header catches the eye because there is no OT versus NT, one part cannot be understood without the other. If you already believe in God and asked the question:
Do we have to keep the commandments to keep the Sabbath? No work, do nothing every Saturday? Are we to follow all of the Old Testament, or `just` the New Testament?
The short answer is neither. We don't have to follow anything.

Jesus said to his disciples, his taught ones: if anyone hears my sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him... He that disrespects my sayings has one to judge him. The word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day because I have not spoken of my own impulse, but the Father himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to tell and what to speak, (Jhn 12: 47,48,49). But note that Jesus is addressing those who heard him speak, some of whom listened and heeded what he said and others rejected it, and they would be judged accordingly in the last day, (see also Mt 7:24-27).

But what about those who have not read what he said or those who do not believe in God at all? He said that at the appointed time an angel/messenger would fly in mid-heaven with everlasting good news to declare to all the people of the earth, saying, Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of judgment by him has arrived, so worship, [submit], to the one who made the heaven and the earth and sea and fountains of water, (Rev 14:6,7). All that this requires of them is to give credit where credit is due and acknowledge the creator. It is not about dogmatically believing that God exists but that one checks out the evidence. The first step is to establish the truthfulness of the Genesis account, who wrote it, and what it says and what it doesn't say. For more information on this, read posts 366 & 367 here.

I hope this helps you to find the answer to your question.
LRW~

apollos0fAlexandria
Posts: 3394
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: OT vs NT

#9 Post by apollos0fAlexandria » 2 months ago

Hi Briaw

It's best not to come here, or to any forum, expecting answers. The best we can do is bring our collective minds to bear on the more difficult questions. And you raise a good one.

Personally I like Marina's concise explanation.
Marina wrote:
2 months ago
You would have a problem following the Old Testament because it requires a Levitical priesthood, animal sacrifices and the Temple in Jerusalem. Also that entire arrangement was done away with once Jesus died. So no you cannot follow the OT. However the Law of Moses was never broken by Jesus Christ, therefore if we keep ourselves in Jesus Christ's love, his shed blood covers our sins. Jesus made it clear that God wants mercy not sacrifice and if we want our sins to be forgiven we should forgive others.
I don't think it's ok to state that the Bible is so unified that we can ignore an OT and NT distinction. Even within the OT it's not intrinsically unified - at least to the eye of most scholars. And you know what? They aren't wrong in one sense. If there is a unification it isn't because every sentence agrees with every other. It's because of the big picture.

There is a significant distinction between myself and my wife (in many respects), yet we wouldn't be known as a couple (singular), if people didn't also view us as such. The OT and NT are a unified couple, but they are distinct.

The Bible is incredibly problematic if viewed from the wrong perspective. Some people won't admit it, but it doesn't change the reality. They key is in seeing through that in order to see the big picture, and suddenly some of the problematic pieces start to fit.

I hope you find something helpful here and feel free to share your thoughts. That's primarily why the site exists.

Best,
Apollos

AmosAU
Posts: 1246
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Qld. Australia
Contact:

Re: OT vs NT

#10 Post by AmosAU » 2 months ago

Hi Apollos,

Good to see you again.

I do agree with your thoughts. It's the big picture that makes both testaments complete.

I've been saying for a couple of years now that we westerners are trying to understand an ancient Near Eastern book from a modern Greco/Roman mindset.
It's like trying to swim upstream during a flood. We are able to translate the words (not entirely) but still ned to understand the culture and mindset of the writers and their audience.

As anyone who has done any research using aone of the available concordances will kinow, there can be up to 10+ English words for just one Hebrew or Grek word.
Context is essential when trying to get as close as possible clarity of the passage concerned. I believe we need to learn how to understand the ancient mind, before we can get a true sence of the bible, particularly the OT.

Regards, Amos.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests