Is your Baptism still valid?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Kerry Huish

Is your Baptism still valid?

#1 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 month ago

Christian baptism is one of the most serious steps that a person can take.
We are commanded to make disciples, teaching them to obey the things that Christ taught, and to baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 28:19, 20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

This baptizing that we are commanded to do needs to go hand in hand with teaching who the Father is, who the Son is and what the Holy Spirit is.
Only after learning and accepting fundamental truths about these three can a person really be baptized in their names.

Scenarios...

1. A person gets baptized after having been taught about and believing in a trinity, that all three are equal and the same.
They later find out through a study of the scriptures that this is not really so. Would they not need to abandon what was false and embrace what is true?
Would not their baptism itself be a lie and hence need re-baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

This door swings both ways...

2. A person gets baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
They later change their mind on who the Son actually is, maybe believing that the Son is actually the Creator or that he is equal to the Father, something different to what they accepted and believed when being baptized.
In effect, the name of the Son that they originally got baptized in is now a lie to them. Would this not nullify their baptism and prompt a need for rebaptism?

3. A person gets baptized as one of Jehovah Witnesses but feels the need to disassociate with an official letter.
When a person gets baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses it's in view of them accepting that their baptism identifies them as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
Does this not qualify as a certificate of divorce, in effect nullifying the baptism that associated them with Jehovah's Witnesses and prompting a need for rebaptism, if a persons faith is still in tact that is?

Acts 19 revels that in some cases a rebaptism is a necessary step towards salvation when true knowledge has been lacking.

Acts 19: 1-5 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when a you believed?” They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?” “John’s baptism,” they replied. Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Kind Regards

Kerry Huish

Kerry Huish

Re: Is your Baptism still valid?

#2 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 month ago

Many Christians have become lost and misdirected in both their teachings and ways.
There is a great need for all Christians to examine their foundations and put right what has become wrong.
Too many are running before they have learned to walk and are causing damage to themselves and others in doing so.

Hebrews 5:12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again.

Fundamental scriptural truths associated with being baptized in the name of the Father: -

1. (Knowing His name)
(Psalm 83:18) May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

2. (Knowing that He is the Creator and creates with a purpose)
(Isaiah 45:18) For this is what Jehovah says, The Creator of the heavens, the true God, The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.

3. (Knowing that He is the Almighty)
(Genesis 17:1) When Aʹbram was 99 years old, Jehovah appeared to Aʹbram and said to him: “I am God Almighty. Walk before me and prove yourself faultless.

4. (Knowing that He is NOT part of a trinity)
(Deuteronomy 6:4, 5) “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.

5. (Knowing that He is a jealous God, requiring exclusive devotion)
(Exodus 34:14) You must not bow down to another god, for Jehovah is known for requiring exclusive devotion. Yes, he is a God who requires exclusive devotion.

6. (Knowing that He is the hearer of prayer)
(Psalm 65:2) O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts will come.

7. (Knowing His dominant quality is Love)
(1 John 4:8) Whoever does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.

8. (Knowing He is a moral, upright God)
(Deuteronomy 32:4) The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he.

9. (Knowing that He is immortal and eternal)
(1 Timothy 1:17) Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

10. (Knowing that He is a spirit and that we must worship Him with spirit and truth)
(John 4:24) God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

11. (Knowing that we cannot see Him - as humans)
(Exodus 33:20) And he added: “You are not able to see my face, because no man may see me and yet live.”

12. (Knowing the correct attitude of approach to Him)
(Hebrews 11:6) Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.

If you have deviated from any of the above in ways or teaching, ask yourself, is your baptism still valid?

Kind Regards

Kerry Huish

Bobcat

#3 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

That's an interesting question KH.

I was baptized as a JW pre-1985. (Previous to that I was christened as an infant in the Roman Catholic church. So that my JW baptism represents a re-baptism of sorts.) So the conditions of my pre-1985 JW baptism (the vows said just before baptism) were a little different than they are now. But over the years since I have awoken this thought about whether my baptism was/is still valid has occurred to me.

So far I am still content with it. But as understanding continues to grow I'll see what that teaches me and leads me think.

I have undergone a radical shift in views on a number of things. And I would expect that God and Christ understand that a person will grow in understanding as time passes on. In the Acts passage the difference was between John's baptism and baptism in the name of Jesus. The context shows that a major difference was/is the fact that Christian baptism includes the receiving of the promised Spirit. (Ac 2:38, 39) Something Jesus said was necessary. (Jn 3:3, 5) That wasn't even an option with John's baptism.

With the JW's that was never presented as an impossibility, but, of course, it was heavily frowned upon. You were heavily influenced to think that it wasn't for you. So that there is some difference. But I could also see where a person could view JW baptism in the same light that Paul saw John's baptism.

Like I said, I am keeping an eye open towards the possibility that I will no longer see JW baptism as valid. If that time comes, I will have to take action to soothe my conscience.

Bobcat

Kerry Huish

#4 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 month ago

Fundamental scriptural truths associated with being baptized in the name of the Son: -

1. (Knowing the origins of the Son)
(Colossians 1:15) He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
(John 1:1, 2) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. This one was in the beginning with God.
(John 8:58) Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”
(Proverbs 8:22, 23) “Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago. From time indefinite I was installed, from the start, from times earlier than the earth.

2. (Knowing the Son’s role in connection with the Father)
(Proverbs 8:30) Then I was beside him as a master worker. I was the one he was especially fond of day by day; I rejoiced before him all the time;
(John 1:3-5) All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. What has come into existence by means of him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light is shining in the darkness, but the darkness has not overpowered it.
(Colossians 1:16) because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him.

3. (Knowing that the Son is subject to the Father)
(John 14:28) You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am.
(John 13:16) Most truly I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him.
(1 Corinthians 11:3) But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God.

4. (Knowing that the Son himself worships the Father)
(John 20:17) Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”
(Hebrews 5:7) During his life on earth, Christ offered up supplications and also petitions, with strong outcries and tears, to the One who was able to save him out of death, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear.

5. (Knowing that the Son became flesh)
(Luke 1:35) In answer the angel said to her: “Holy spirit will come upon you, and power of the Most High will overshadow you. And for that reason the one who is born will be called holy, God’s Son.
(John 1:14) So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only - begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favor and truth.
(Philippians 2:7) No, but he emptied himself and took a slave’s form and became human.

6. (Knowing that the Son sacrificed his life for us as a ransom)

(Matthew 20:28) Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his life as a ransom in exchange for many.”
(John 3:16) “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only - begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.
(Romans 3:23, 24) For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and it is as a free gift that they are being declared righteous by his undeserved kindness through the release by the ransom paid by Christ Jesus.

7. (Knowing that the Son was resurrected)
(Matthew 16:21) From that time forward, Jesus began explaining to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised up.
(Acts 2:24) But God resurrected him by releasing him from the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held fast by it.
(1 Corinthians 15:3, 4) For among the first things I handed on to you was what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that he was buried, yes, that he was raised up on the third day according to the Scriptures;

8. (Knowing that the Son was exalted to a superior position)
(Acts 4:12) Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”
(Philippians 2:9-11) For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend — of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground — and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
(Hebrews 5:9, 10) And after he had been made perfect, he became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying him, because he has been designated by God a high priest in the manner of Mel·chizʹe·dek.

9. (Knowing that the Son is King of God’s Kingdom)
(Luke 1:32, 33) This one will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and Jehovah God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule as King over the house of Jacob forever, and there will be no end to his Kingdom.”
(Daniel 2:44) “In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever,
(Daniel 7:13, 14) “I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed.

10. (Knowing that listening to and obeying the Son means life)
(Matthew 17:5) While he was still speaking, look! a bright cloud overshadowed them, and look! a voice out of the cloud said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved. Listen to him.”
(John 3:35, 36) The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. The one who exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; the one who disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.
(Acts 3:22, 23) In fact, Moses said: ‘Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to whatever he tells you. Indeed, anyone who does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.’

11. (Knowing that the Son was the promised seed)
(Genesis 3:15) And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”
(Galatians 3:16) Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “and to your descendants,” in the sense of many. Rather, it says, “and to your offspring,” in the sense of one, who is Christ.

12. (Knowing that the Son is our mediator)
(1 Timothy 2:5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,
(Hebrews 8:6) But now Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry because he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant, which has been legally established on better promises.
(Hebrews 9:15) That is why he is a mediator of a new covenant, in order that because a death has occurred for their release by ransom from the transgressions under the former covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the everlasting inheritance.

If you have deviated from any of the above in ways or teaching, ask yourself, is your baptism still valid?

Kind Regards

Kerry Huish

Kerry Huish

#5 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 month ago

Fundamental scriptural truths associated with being baptized in the name of the Holy Spirit: -

1. (Knowing that the Holy Spirit belongs to Jehovah – spoken of as being His active force, not a person)
(Genesis 1:2) Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.
(Ezekiel 39:29) I will not hide my face from them any longer, for I will pour out my spirit on the house of Israel,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah.”

2. (Knowing that the Holy Spirit has further been poured out through the Son)
(Acts 2:33) Therefore, because he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Father, he has poured out what you see and hear.
(Titus 3:6) This [spirit] he poured out richly upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior,

3. (Knowing that the Holy Spirit can helps us and guides us in our understanding)
(John 14:26) But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you.
(John 16:13) However, when that one comes, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come.

4. (Knowing that we can grieve the sprit by not responding to its leadings)
(Isaiah 63:10) But they rebelled and grieved his holy spirit. He then turned into their enemy, And he fought against them.
(Ephesians 4:30) Also, do not be grieving God’s holy spirit, with which you have been sealed for a day of releasing by ransom.

5. (Knowing that sinning against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable)
(Mark 3:28, 29) Truly I say to you that all things will be forgiven the sons of men, no matter what sins they commit and what blasphemies they speak. But whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever but is guilty of everlasting sin.”

6. (Knowing that there is only one Holy Spirit)
(Ephesians 4:4-6) One body there is, and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

7. (Knowing that the Holy Spirit was used in creation)
(Psalm 33:6) By the word of Jehovah the heavens themselves were made, And by the spirit of his mouth all their army.
(Isaiah 40:26) “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe - inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.

Kind Regards

Kerry Huish

Stranger

#6 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

Kerry Huish wrote:
1 month ago

Kerry, don't fool yourself by thinking you are the final authority on baptism, your story and the storybook you use doesn't hold water. And by you using that storybook there are so many things that you will never know.

Stranger, (Rom 6:3 KJV)

Kerry Huish

#7 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 month ago

Stranger wrote:
1 month ago
Kerry Huish wrote:
1 month ago

Kerry, don't fool yourself by thinking you are the final authority on baptism, your story and the storybook you use doesn't hold water. And by you using that storybook there are so many things that you will never know.

Stranger, (Rom 6:3 KJV)
lol - Classic Stranger, again.

Matthew 12:36, 37 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Regards

Kerry

Stranger

#8 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

Kerry Huish wrote:
1 month ago
lol - Classic Stranger, again.
Nice to see you got a laugh Kerry, actually it's refreshing to see your emotions are still capable of that function. kind of reminded me Sarah's laughter. (Gen 21:6 KJV)

Kerry Huish wrote:
1 month ago
Matthew 12:36, 37 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”
I can assure you there's nothing empty of my Word except the Tomb it escaped. (Mt 28:4-5 KJV) My words are very much unlike those loaded words you quote, coming straight from the JW Doctrineers and their beloved NWT that will shortly be in it's tomb if it's not already.

BTW, what you see now is Contemporary Stranger, Classic Stranger can only be seen in the shadows of the water. (Isa 33:16)

Stranger, (Eze 32:6)

Kerry Huish

#9 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 month ago

Dear Stranger,

Let's not take this thread off topic by side stepping or water down the serious issue raised in the opening post.

If you want to fight about words and translations, then do it on your own thread.

2 Timothy 2:14 Keep reminding God's people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.

Your intent is not to ruin those who listen, is it...?

Kind Regards

Kerry

Stranger

#10 Post by Stranger » 1 month ago

Kerry Huish wrote:
1 month ago
Let's not take this thread off topic by side stepping or water down the serious issue raised in the opening post.
Hi Kerry,

It is a serious issue, and the water is just right for the occasion I have no doubt.

The title of the thread has me thinking that you may be wondering if your baptism was ever valid.

Since I've never been baptized, would I be required to join a church or organization and go through the baptismal procedures just to say I have a valid baptism?

And if that be the case, I could then become a free agent after being "Validly" baptized. But I would have to worry all the time whether or not my '{VB}' is going to remain valid.

What I can tell you Kerry is, ...that is JW Doctrine haunting (not the only ones!) at it's finest. They will leave you feeling obligated to them to the point where it becomes a haunting, so much so that some still use their literature thinking that that will somehow keep their baptism valid. I call it one of the techniques of BtG and her many whore daughters.

Kerry Huish wrote:
1 month ago
Your intent is not to ruin those who listen, is it...?
I feel sure that everyone here is old enough and capable enough to "listen" to what they want without me ruining it for them.

So, in that scenario I illustrated above what would your recommendations be for a guy like me wearing those shoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLzFeOHtnM

Stranger, (Lu 11:22)