Maths Virus 1914

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Marina

Re: Maths Virus 1914

#31 Post by Marina » 4 months ago

Hi Coccus - Thanks. I read through your explanation. It's a lot to take in but at some point I hope to put up a Bible time-line facility as a tool to assist with understanding such matters. It's a work in progress at the moment.

Meantime I thought I'd share this comment I've just seen on my channel. Someone has written
Pilotus Aero
1 day ago
I never saw a chess match quite like this with the GB. In the movie Queens Gambit, Beth Harmon is facing a smug opponent who dares to play this upstart newbie. She stares him in the eye, part way thru the match and asks him.........do you see it yet? He doesnt see anything of a threat. She finally, a couple of moves later declares check mate, and stares at him again and leans in and says.............DO YOU SEE IT NOW? This was kinda like that.
Well I have never heard of the film Queen's Gambit but when I looked at the Youtube on it, it really made me smile because the look on her face is not really all that different to the look I had on my face when I dealt with these elders. Especially the one I'll tell you about in my next video.

Some of you may remember I got the entire body of elders hiding in a pensioner's lounge when I turned up on the doorstep (where they were holding an elder's meeting). Now if I can do that by just waving a few Bible verses at them, you can too! :)

I didn't have chess pieces but a small jug of milk, some old pears and two bronze-age spears. By association a bottle of Macallan's whisky is involved but you'll never guess how until I tell you! You can see the table I was sat at here at about 1:26:03

Marina

ctron

#32 Post by ctron » 4 months ago

When the bible says a day for a year, then I think we should use 360 days and not 365 days. Back then they used 360 days and had leap-month cycles, today we use 365 and have leap years.

So if you want to be more precise, a year doesn't have 365 days either, in average it has 365.2425 days. And then we have leap seconds too. And then the earth rotation is gradually slowing down too.

The bible was written when they used 360 days with leap-month cycles. Here is a nice article about the 360 day calendar with it's leap-month cycles. The average was very close to what we have today.
https://www.360calendar.com/find_New_Ye ... endar.html

ctron

Marina

#33 Post by Marina » 4 months ago

Hi Ctron - you are forgetting that the earth rotates around the sun and you have things like seasons. However you count them - a year is a year long.

It's like saying back then a day didn't take 24 hours. A day is a day-long. A week is a week long, a year is a year-long but there are the regular leap-years which are part of a cycle. Ok there is a cycle but the length of time in the cycle does not change, even if the calendars used to count that cycle vary. You ignore dates. The Bible uses lengths of time NOT DATED YEARS.

Here is the 'calendar' you are dealing with. This is how the Bible is written. It takes into account variations in year-length using blocks of years, but it never changes the underlying actual length of a year.

(Genesis 5:3-5) . . .And Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and called his name Seth. 4 And the days of Adam after his fathering Seth came to be eight hundred years. Meanwhile he became father to sons and daughters. 5 So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died. . .

When people start messing with the length of a year, remember, it is Jehovah, Almighty God Himself, who has establishes the times and the seasons. But Satan is His enemy and his agents seek to muddy the water and change times.

(Daniel 2:20-21) 20 Daniel was answering and saying: “Let the name of God become blessed from time indefinite even to time indefinite, for wisdom and mightiness—for they belong to him. 21 And he is changing times and seasons, removing kings and setting up kings, giving wisdom to the wise ones and knowledge to those knowing discernment.

(Daniel 7:25-26) . . .And he will speak even words against the Most High, and he will harass continually the holy ones themselves of the Supreme One. And he will intend to change times and law, and they will be given into his hand for a time, and times and half a time. 26 And the Court itself proceeded to sit, and his own rulership they finally took away, in order to annihilate [him] and to destroy [him] totally.
Marina

menrov

#34 Post by menrov » 4 months ago

Hi Marina, I have difficulties to follow your logic.

If we read that Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years, what does this mean, using your statement: "The Bible uses lengths of time NOT DATED YEARS"

I do not think there is one common approach in the bible regarding years. First, the person who wrote Genesis and stated that Adam lived on for a 135 years, where did this writer get the information from? And when writing it down, was the writer already using a calendar with years, so he had the same idea of 135 years as we would have today? What starting point was used to calculate the number of years?

So, what is a length of time? Who determines and applies this consistently through the bible? All writers of the various books? Or did every writer applied their own concept of a calendar, as it was active in time the book was written?

Should we read that Adam lived 135 lengths of time?

Ctron, why would we have to apply 360 days for a year? Did the writer had in mind 360 days like a calendar? Or was it symbolic? Saying actually that for God there is no time as we consider time (or periods)?

Why would it have any value at all to readers in our day and age? There are still countries that use a different calendar and have not started with (or around) the birth of Jesus. In other words, if we have a meeting with people from the areas / countries or religious groups mentioned below (see also https://www.statista.com/statistics/103 ... calendars/ or here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template: ... _calendars) and we discuss the biblical ages and years etc, what would be the outcome on when things happened?

Israel, China, Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, Iran, Ethiopia.

I can only conclude that readers of the Western bible should add too much value to years as used in the bible. As it is assumed that all the books were written in the middle east, but describing periods in which there was hardly any civilization (assumption), one cannot assume that our understanding of times, years, days or periods are equal to those the writer(s) had in mind.

Marina

#35 Post by Marina » 4 months ago

Menrov - you know how long a day is. You know how long a year is. If you seriously have a problem following that logic I have nothing else to say.

An example of a dated year is 1914. An undated year is... a year. Having lived 135 undated years Adam became father to Seth. Ok?

And if you don't believe in the Bible that is an entirely different topic. But whether you agree the Bible is the word of God or not Gen 5:3-5 reads:-

(Genesis 5:3-5) . . .And Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and called his name Seth. 4 And the days of Adam after his fathering Seth came to be eight hundred years. Meanwhile he became father to sons and daughters. 5 So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died. . .
Marina

menrov

#36 Post by menrov » 4 months ago

:D it os not about believing in the bible, it is about universal consistency. A year to me should mean the same as to any other reader, regardless the background or religion or culture. That is the problem with the bible, it is open for multiple interpretations, which makes the contents unusable for universal application. You have your views and interpretations and others have theirs. All with the set of proof to sustain their views. The results: over 10.000 denominations and polarization.

Marina

#37 Post by Marina » 4 months ago

Menrov your expression indicates lack of knowledge. There's nothing I can do about that, it is a choice you are making. You have your opinion and it is what it is.
Marina

AmosAU

#38 Post by AmosAU » 4 months ago

Hi Marina,

Thanks again for your efforts here. I do agree with your understanding and logic on this topic.

We've been subjected to centuries of lies and deceptions regarding the bible and religious interpretation.
I see there is an immense difference between the bible and religion. I truly believe that religion is of the adversary.

Kind regards, Amos.

Marina

#39 Post by Marina » 4 months ago

Hi Amos -
AmosAU wrote:
4 months ago
We've been subjected to centuries of lies and deceptions regarding the bible and religious interpretation.
I see there is an immense difference between the bible and religion. I truly believe that religion is of the adversary.
Yes, exactly! There is 1 Jesus Christ and no denominations even if people do choose to go off and set up their own quasi-Christian group.

(1 Corinthians 1:10-16) 10 Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among you, but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought. 11 For the disclosure was made to me about YOU, my brothers, by those of [the house of] Chloe, that dissensions exist among you. 12 What I mean is this, that each one of you says: “I belong to Paul,” “But I to Apollos,” “But I to Cephas,” “But I to Christ.” 13 The Christ exists divided. Paul was not impaled for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. 16 Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. As for the rest, I do not know whether I baptized anybody else.

There are congregations because of location but Christians all operate on the same set of values and that is how you identify them.

(John 13:34-35) . . .I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.. . .

And you ask anyone who has a bit of accurate knowledge about Jesus Christ, "was Jesus religious?" They all answer, "no".

So you are either for Jesus or against him. It's that simple. Pro Jesus Christ or anti Jesus Christ.

:sheep: :sheep: :flowers: :sheep: :sheep:
Marina

ctron

#40 Post by ctron » 3 months ago

Maybe my thoughts didn't come across that well.

Of course, a year is a year. But we are talking about the problem of quantifying a year in terms of time past. And I went to the extreme to make it more clear.

In Bible times they used 360 days and today we use 365 days. If the Bible uses a day for a year then I'd use 360 since that what they used back then as we use 365 today. And both are technically incorrect.

See it just as additional information for making your opinion.