Revelation 12 and the tail that drags a third...

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Kerry Huish

Revelation 12 and the tail that drags a third...

#1 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 year ago

Revelation 12 & the Tail that drags a third…

The Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that 1/3 out of all Angels that Jehovah God made before the founding of the world have sided with Satan.
Revelation 12:4 is used to support this idea.

Revelation 12:4…its tail drags a third of the stars+ of heaven, and it hurled them down to the earth…

w18.05 23 made this comment: -
WHAT IS THE EXTENT OF SATAN’S INFLUENCE?
5 A significant number of angels joined Satan’s rebellion. Prior to the Flood, Satan lured at least some of them into having immoral relations with the daughters of men. The Bible reveals this truth by symbolically portraying the dragon as dragging a third of the stars of heaven with him in his fall. (Gen. 6:1-4; Jude 6; Rev. 12:3, 4) When those angels abandoned God’s family, they put themselves under Satan’s control. These rebels, however, are not just a mob of troublemakers. Satan has set up an imitation of God’s Kingdom, with himself as king. In the invisible realm, Satan has organized the demons into governments, given them authority, and made them world rulers.—Eph. 6:12.

Now although I do indeed believe that there are spirit creatures that were created before the founding of the world that HAVE joined Satan in his rebellion, I propose that Revelation 12:4 is talking about something else entirely…
That Stars can refer to Humans can be seen form examining Isaiah: -

Isaiah 14:13 You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to the heavens. Above the stars of God I will lift up my throne, And I will sit down on the mountain of meeting, In the remotest parts of the north.

These stars of God that are mentioned here refer, not to the Angels that were created before the founding of the world, but to the descendants of King David, the Royal Offspring – Humans.
The Stars in Revelation refer to the same, a Royal Offspring – Humans that have been selected and chosen. When one is anointed and chosen they are born again in Christ Jesus and become Abraham’s seed with reference to a promise.

Galatians 3:29 Moreover, if YOU belong to Christ, YOU are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with reference to a promise.

1 Peter 2:9 But you are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies” of the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Jesus made this promise - to some - that they would sit on thrones and share with him in ruling with him in his Kingdom.

Luke 22: 28-30 “However, you are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the 12 tribes of Israel.

These ones would be born again and caught away to God's throne which is exactly what Revelation 12 is depicting: -

Revelation 12:5 And she gave birth to a son, a male, who is to shepherd all the nations with an iron rod. And her child was snatched away to God and to his throne.

That one can be seated in a heavenly place – while alive in the flesh – is seen from examining Paul’s message to the Ephesians: -

Ephesians 4:6 Moreover, he raised us up together and seated us together in the heavenly places in union with Christ Jesus,

The promise Jesus made in Luke 22 - about being made to be rulers in his Kingdom - was swiftly followed by this warning: -

Luke 22: 31 “Simon, Simon, look! Satan has demanded to have all of you to sift you as wheat.

Yes, there is an enmity a hatred that Satan has for such ones, Satan tries to devour and corrupt ALL these ones.

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring.

He specifically targets and wages warfare with these ones: -

Revelation 12:17 So the dragon became enraged at the woman and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her offspring, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness concerning Jesus.

That Satan has had a measure of success in corrupting these ones is further seen from understanding and appreciating who these third of the Stars are that his tail drags.

Revelation 12:4…its tail drags a third of the stars of heaven, and it hurled them down to the earth…

Thus Revelation 12 should help us to never become complacent and always be cautious with regards what we allow ourselves to swallow down.
Much of the information out there and even some information found on this very forum proves to be poison to a true believer.

We are thus encouraged to examine closely the clear and direct counsel that Jesus gave these ‘Stars’ in his messages to the 7 Congregations.
If you should heed his advice you will be less lightly to be overcome and corrupted by the one who is waging war with you.

If you ignore his advice and become involved in idolatry or sexual immorality or even tolerate wickedness then Jesus’s words and warning have not been made just for fun.

Galatians 6:7-8 Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a person is sowing, this he will also reap; because the one sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh, but the one sowing with a view to the spirit will reap everlasting life from the spirit.

Hebrews 6:4-8 For as regards those who were once enlightened and who have tasted the heavenly free gift and who have become partakers of holy spirit and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, but have fallen away, it is impossible to revive them again to repentance, because they nail the Son of God to the stake again for themselves and expose him to public shame. For the ground receives a blessing from God when it drinks in the rain that frequently falls on it and then produces vegetation useful to those for whom it is cultivated. But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed, and in the end it will be burned.

If you are truly born again, and I suspect there are some here who are, then these warnings are for you…

Kind Regards

Kerry Huish
Revelation 10:7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”

Kerry Huish

Re: Revelation 12 and the tail that drags a third...

#2 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 year ago

It may be hard to believe that when one is anointed and ransomed - when one has been born again - that one could or even would fall away and side with Satan.

For some, they very idea is preposterous, they will not even consider it as being a possibility.

Proverbs 28:14 Happy is the man that is feeling dread constantly, but he that is hardening his heart will fall into calamity.

1 Corinthians 10:12 Consequently let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall.

However, as shown in the post above, these 'born again ones' are special targets of Satan and much effort is put forth to at least capture some.

Matthew 24:24, 25 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. Look! I have forewarned YOU.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light.

If it were not possible to be overcome after gaining enlightenment then the Apostle Pauls words would have no real meaning: -

Hebrews 6:4-8 For it is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit, and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame. For example, the ground that drinks in the rain which often comes upon it, and that then brings forth vegetation suitable to those for whom it is also cultivated, receives in return a blessing from God. But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed; and it ends up with being burned.

Yes some will fall, according to Revelation 12, this is a symbolic third.

Revelation 12:3, 4 And another sign was seen in heaven, and, look! a great fiery-colored dragon, with seven heads and ten horns and upon its heads seven diadems; and its tail drags a third of the stars of heaven, and it hurled them down to the earth. And the dragon kept standing before the woman who was about to give birth, that, when she did give birth, it might devour her child.

1 Timothy 4:1 However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons,

This 'third' can be divided up into two groups.

1. A group of anointed and ransomed ones that still has a form of Godly devotion but has fallen away to various religious falsehoods and teachings.

2. A group of anointed and ransomed ones that has abandoned spiritual pursuits altogether and are even opposed to faith.

During the presence, these ones will be first to receive judgment, as these know better.

Yes, at the moment, they may seem to be getting away with it. But they are being reserved for judgment even though God's spirit is operative upon them: -

2 Peter 2:9, 10 Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial, but to reserve unrighteous people for the day of judgment to be cut off, especially, however, those who go on after flesh with the desire to defile [it] and who look down on lordship. Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble at glorious ones but speak abusively,

These ones are figuratively like King Saul, who initially walked worthily of their anointing but later fell away.

1 Samuel 16:14 And the very spirit of Jehovah departed from Saul, and a bad spirit from Jehovah terrorized him.

That judgment is coming for these ones can be seen from further considering Revelation 8 and the blowing of the trumpets.

The initial trumpets are specifically aimed at this symbolic third.

The First Trumpet: -

Revelation 8:7 And the first one blew his trumpet. And there occurred a hail and fire mingled with blood, and it was hurled to the earth; and a third of the earth was burned up, and a third of the trees was burned up, and all the green vegetation was burned up.

This third of earth and third of trees is symbolic of ones in this first group, a group of anointed and ransomed ones that still has a form of Godly devotion but has fallen away to various religious falsehoods and teachings.

The green vegetation or grass that is burned up may refer to the up and coming disciples of such ones.

2 Timothy 3:5-7 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.  For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires,  always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

The Second Trumpet: -

Revelation 8:8 And the second angel blew his trumpet. And something like a great mountain burning with fire was hurled into the sea. And a third of the sea became blood;

This fallen mountain that splashes into the sea is symbolic of the first group that just got judged during the first trumpet. The third of the sea becoming blood is symbolic of the judgment on this 2nd group, a group of anointed and ransomed ones that have abandoned spiritual pursuits altogether and are even opposed to faith. This 2nd trumpet sees these ones addressed.

Jude 11-13 Too bad for them, because they have gone in the path of Cain, and have rushed into the erroneous course of Baʹlaam for reward, and have perished in the rebellious talk of Koʹrah! These are the rocks hidden below water in YOUR love feasts while they feast with YOU, shepherds that feed themselves without fear; waterless clouds carried this way and that by winds; trees in late autumn, [but] fruitless, having died twice, having been uprooted;  wild waves of the sea that foam up their own causes for shame; stars with no set course, for which the blackness of darkness stands reserved forever.

So what does it mean for these ones, to be judged and rejected?

On being judged and rejected, both groups have thier actual life-force removed by fire, with no life-force of their own - being just a body made of dust - these become food for Satan, he then becomes their life-force and they are born again in union with him, this happens in an instant of time.

Hebrews 12:29 For our God is also a consuming fire.

Genesis 2:7 And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, [life-force] and the man came to be a living soul.

Genesis 3:14 And Jehovah God proceeded to say to the serpent: “Because you have done this thing, you are the cursed one out of all the domestic animals and out of all the wild beasts of the field. Upon your belly you will go and dust is what you will eat all the days of your life.

With no life-force of their own, a ressurection is not possible for these ones as there is nothing to return to God for later retrieval in the case of death.

Ecclesiasties 12:7 Then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit itself returns to the [true] God who gave it.

This is referred to in scripture as a second death, a death from which retrieval is not possible.

Revelation 21:But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death.”

The Third Trumpet: -

Revelation 8:10, 11 And the third angel blew his trumpet. And a great star burning as a lamp fell from heaven, and it fell upon a third of the rivers and upon the fountains of waters. And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter.

The Third Trumpet sees these ones - both groups - collected together into this fallen condition of Satan's tail, to be further dragged along to do his bidding - like a fallen star.

The things they speak about while in this condition will prove very poisonous and bitter to the listener, death dealing.

Now is the time to make sure of all things.
Do not underestimate your enemy.

1 Peter 5:8 Keep YOUR senses, be watchful. YOUR adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour [someone].

Revelation 3:22 Let the one who has an ear hear what the spirit says to the congregations.’”

Kind Regards

Kerry Huish
Revelation 10:7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”

Kerry Huish

#3 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 week ago

Some have concluded that the child born in Revelation 12 was Jesus himself. The reason given for this is: -
Bobcat wrote:
1 week ago
That the "child" is Jesus and not the 144,000 or "the kingdom" (as the WT interprets) can be seen in that the woman and her seed go on to being persecuted following the child's being caught away to God's throne.
Quote taken from here: -
viewtopic.php?p=49456#p49456

But just because one is caught away to the throne does not by any mean that Satan leaves you alone or gives up. That these ones are called/born to such a role while yet alive in the flesh can be understood from Ephesians.

Ephesians 4:6 Moreover, he raised us up together and seated us together in the heavenly places in union with Christ Jesus,

Notice that just after Jesus promised his Apostles thrones, he also mentioned a problem that came along with it.

Luke 22:31 "However, YOU are the ones that have stuck with me in my trials; 29 and I make a covenant with YOU, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, 30 that YOU may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel. 31 “Simon, Simon, look! Satan has demanded to have YOU men to sift YOU as wheat.

Because a person is 'born' for such a role and called away to the throne makes them a very special target of Satan.

That Revelation 12 is not just talking about a single birth can also be seen from further examining the context: -

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon grew wrathful at the woman, and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her seed, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus.

This woman has given birth multiple times to multiple children since Pentecost 33CE.

Isaiah 54:1 “Cry out joyfully, you barren woman that did not give birth! Become cheerful with a joyful outcry and cry shrilly, you that had no childbirth pains, for the sons of the desolated one are more numerous than the sons of the woman with a husbandly owner,” Jehovah has said.

By abusing, harassing, misleading and killing the children born of this woman, Satan in effect persecutes both the woman and her children. Or do you imagine the woman does not care or feel for her children and the suffering they endure?

I believe that the Child born in Revelation 12 is not Jesus but is symbolic of the 144,000.

Galatians 4:26 But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother.

Kind Regards

Kerry
Last edited by Kerry Huish on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

I can't agree with your interpretation Kerry. Here is the sequence in Revelation chapter 12 and why I say:
In Rev 12:4b the dragon is standing before the woman so as to devour her child.

In Rev 12:5 the woman gives birth and the child is "caught away" to God's throne.
The verb "caught away" has the sense of 'out of the dragon's reach,' as can be seen in how the verb is used throughout the NT: Mt 11:12; 12:29; 13:19; Jn 6:15; 10:12, 28, 29; Ac 8:39; 23:10; 2Co 12:2, 4; 1Th 4:17; Jude 23; Rev 12:5. (2Co 12:4 in the ESV omits the phrase about being caught away to paradise, I'm not sure why, but it is in 2Co 12:4 NET.)

Just as an edit: The phrase "caught up to paradise" in the ESV is located in 2Co 12:3 for some reason.)
Rev 12:6 has the woman fleeing into the wilderness.

Rev 12:7-12 describes the war in heaven that follows resulting in the dragon being cast out.

Rev 12:13 picks up on verse 6, with the dragon, seeing he had been cast out, pursuing the woman who is given divine help to flee into the wilderness. Verse 13 is essentially the same as verse 6 with the addition of the dragon having been cast out and adding the fact that God helped the woman to flee into the wilderness.
The whole sequence depicts the child as out of the reach of the dragon once he is "caught away."

Just as an observation: I suspect you are still closely tied with the WT's interpretation, which, that is your prerogative. But that is what I observe in your posts. And secondly, I detect a somewhat stern tone in your posts, despite the "kind regards" that you add at the end of your posts. I would imagine you are still smarting from being put out. And I can sympathize with that. I also know that the Internet is the abode of many strongly held viewpoints. Reasoning that we might personally hold as being watertight, brings hardly the bat of an eye with others. So it is good not to take affront when our views are not readily accepted, and yet, still keep an ear open for possible better views than the one's we might be holding to.

But I would think that a less stern approach might have more success in getting your views across. Like they say, 'you will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.'

At any rate, that is only my opinion. But on Rev 12, I think your view contradicts the context. IMO you should give more emphasis to contextual clues before trying to draw in references from farther afield. But that is also my opinion.

Bobcat

Kerry Huish

#5 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 week ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 week ago
I can't agree with your interpretation Kerry. Here is the sequence in Revelation chapter 12 and why I say:
In Rev 12:4b the dragon is standing before the woman so as to devour her child.

In Rev 12:5 the woman gives birth and the child is "caught away" to God's throne.
The verb "caught away" has the sense of 'out of the dragon's reach,' as can be seen in how the verb is used throughout the NT: Mt 11:12; 12:29; 13:19; Jn 6:15; 10:12, 28, 29; Ac 8:39; 23:10; 2Co 12:2, 4; 1Th 4:17; Jude 23; Rev 12:5. (2Co 12:4 in the ESV omits the phrase about being caught away to paradise, I'm not sure why, but it is in 2Co 12:4 NET.)
Rev 12:6 has the woman fleeing into the wilderness.

Rev 12:7-12 describes the war in heaven that follows resulting in the dragon being cast out.

Rev 12:13 picks up on verse 6, with the dragon, seeing he had been cast out, pursuing the woman who is given divine help to flee into the wilderness. Verse 13 is essentially the same as verse 6 with the addition of the dragon having been cast out and adding the fact that God helped the woman to flee into the wilderness.
The whole sequence depicts the child as out of the reach of the dragon once he is "caught away."
Firstly, I'm not saying that you or anyone has to accept anything I post. I am just presenting a different view, as are you.

Regarding your thoughts about how the child is taken out of the way after having been brought to birth - being caught away - in line with my belief that this child is symbolic of the 144,000 co-rulers chosen to rule with Christ: -

Initially, when one is born this way and for this purpose there is an natural immunity or undeserved kindness that is granted due to the new covenant.

John 1:16 For we all received from out of his fullness, even undeserved kindness upon undeserved kindness.

Jeremiah 31:33, 34 “For this is the covenant that I shall conclude with the house of Israel after those days,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “I will put my law within them, and in their heart I shall write it. And I will become their God, and they themselves will become my people.” “And they will no more teach each one his companion and each one his brother, saying, ‘KNOW Jehovah!’ for they will all of them know me, from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “For I shall forgive their error, and their sin I shall remember no more."

In this sense, upon being born and ransomed by Christ's blood, there is an immunity, they are taken out of the way, out of the reach of Satan - so to speak.

But this immunity or undeserved kindness can be taken away, and Satan knows it. The one nursed in this way is expected to mature. If they do not mature and progress or if they fall back back into thier old sinful ways after having been bathed, then undeserved kindness is taken away and they are exposed.

Hebrews 12:15 carefully watching that no one may be deprived of the undeserved kindness of God; that no poisonous root may spring up and cause trouble and that many may not be defiled by it;

1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Hebrews 6:4-8 For it is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit,  and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things,  but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame. For example, the ground that drinks in the rain which often comes upon it, and that then brings forth vegetation suitable to those for whom it is also cultivated, receives in return a blessing from God. But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed; and it ends up with being burned.

Hebrews 10:26, 27 For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left,  but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.

2 Peter 2:21, 22 For it would have been better for them not to have accurately known the path of righteousness than after knowing it accurately to turn away from the holy commandment delivered to them. The saying of the true proverb has happened to them: “The dog has returned to its own vomit, and the sow that was bathed to rolling in the mire.”

This is after all why Satan continues to wage war with the seed, otherwise he would simply just give up if it served him no purpose or if he was 100% unsuccessful.

Revelation 12:17 So the dragon became enraged at the woman and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her offspring, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness concerning Jesus.

This is why everyone born of the spirit conquers the world, but whether they continue to the end as conquers is largely on them.

1 John 5:4 because everything that has been born from God conquers the world. And this is the conquest that has conquered the world, our faith.

Matthew 24:13 But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.
Bobcat wrote:
1 week ago
Just as an observation: I suspect you are still closely tied with the WT's interpretation, which, that is your prerogative. But that is what I observe in your posts. And secondly, I detect a somewhat stern tone in your posts, despite the "kind regards" that you add at the end of your posts. I would imagine you are still smarting from being put out. And I can sympathize with that. I also know that the Internet is the abode of many strongly held viewpoints. Reasoning that we might personally hold as being watertight, brings hardly the bat of an eye with others. So it is good not to take affront when our views are not readily accepted, and yet, still keep an ear open for possible better views than the one's we might be holding to.

But I would think that a less stern approach might have more success in getting your views across. Like they say, 'you will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.'

At any rate, that is only my opinion. But on Rev 12, I think your view contradicts the context. IMO you should give more emphasis to contextual clues before trying to draw in references from farther afield. But that is also my opinion.
Secondly, this view that I have presented here differs considerably from what the WT have.
You rightly pointed out that they teach that the born child is the kingdom being born in 1914 - a view that I believe is wrong

I am not 'smarting' about being put out, I see it as a great privilege to have been counted worthy to have suffered as such, to have been set free, to have been rejected by men for the sake of truth.

Acts 5:41 These, therefore, went their way from before the Sanʹhe·drin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of his name.

Hebrews 13:12, 13 Hence Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate. Let us, then, go forth to him outside the camp, bearing the reproach he bore,

John 16:1-3 “I have spoken these things to YOU that YOU may not be stumbled. Men will expel YOU from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone that kills YOU will imagine he has rendered a sacred service to God.  But they will do these things because they have not come to know either the Father or me.

I do respect your comments, thoughts and personal study efforts, even if we do disagree on certain things.

Yep, I am stern on times, you got me there.
But I am working on it, thank you for your patience...

Kind Regards

Kerry

Bobcat

#6 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Thanks for your thoughts Kerry. And for tolerating me also. :D

Perhaps in time we will edge closer to agreement.

Bobcat

Stranger

#7 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 week ago
Reasoning that we might personally hold as being watertight, brings hardly the bat of an eye with others. So it is good not to take affront when our views are not readily accepted, and yet, still keep an ear open for possible better views than the one's we might be holding to.

Hi Bobcat,

There isn't many if anything that is truly watertight as far as I know of. Anything man builds will eventually leak.

But like you always say "(YMMV)".

Stranger, (Job 38:28)

Bobcat

#8 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Hi Stranger,
YMMV
This is going to save me a lot of typing! :clap: (Someone else thinks like you: Here.)

Bobcat