Chiastic Structure in Ephesians

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Chiastic Structure in Ephesians

#1 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

This post was "inspired" by a post from a few years ago. I was commenting on Ephesians 4:6 (here).

In the third paragraph of the first commentary quote it mentions that Eph 4:1-3 and Eph 4:4-6 "have a similar structure." This led me to wonder if anyone had seen a chiastic structure within these verses. And sure enough, someone has (published at the Biblical Chiasm Exchange (here).

So below is an attempt to reproduce it here:
A. I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the calling (klesis) (Eph 4:1)

. . . B. wherewith ye are called (kaleo),

. . . . . . C. With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; (Eph 4:2)

. . . . . . C^ Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Eph 4:3)

. . . B^ There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called (kaleo) (Eph 4:4)

A^ in one hope of your calling (klesis); One Lord, faith, baptism, One God and Father of all, above all, through all, in all (Eph 4:5-6)

The chiasm shows the similar structural halves to Eph 4:1-6. The bolded words, along with the Greek word related to "calling" provide the clue to the structuring.

Personally, I would restructure or tweak the above symmetry just a little, like so:
A. I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the calling (klesis) (Eph 4:1)

. . . B. ye are called (kaleo), With lowliness, meekness, longsuffering, forbearing in love; (Eph 4:2)

. . . . . . C. Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Eph 4:3)

. . . . . . C^ There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called (kaleo) (Eph 4:4)

. . . B^ in one hope of your calling (klesis); (Eph 4:5)

A^ One Lord, faith, baptism, One God and Father of all, above all, through all, in all (Eph 4:6)

Bobcat

Return to Main Index