CLAM: Research, Notes, & Comments

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Stranger

Re: CLAM: Research, Notes, & Comments

#21 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

menrov wrote:
3 weeks ago
Again, who is to tell what is symbolic or real in the scriptures.

Jesus is up and out, He is the Word of God. If you don't trust Him then you should be an atheist.

Stranger, (Acts 10:40 KJV)

menrov

#22 Post by menrov » 2 weeks ago

Strange said "Jesus is up and out, He is the Word of God. If you don't trust Him then you should be an atheist."

I find it strange that people who present themselves as Christians are often the same people who cannot handle criticism or start labelling people.

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Is that what I said? If I challenge (some part of) the scriptures and the interpretations by religious organisations, does that make me an atheist? If I disagree with certain policies in the company I work for, does it make me disloyal?
Are you saying that if you want to believe in God and Jesus, you have to fully accept the scriptures, regardless which source or translation or else you are an atheist?

Stranger

#23 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

menrov wrote:
2 weeks ago
Stranger* said "Jesus is up and out, He is the Word of God. If you don't trust Him then you should be an atheist."
(Eph 1:7)

menrov wrote:
2 weeks ago
I find it strange that people who present themselves as Christians are often the same people who cannot handle criticism or start labelling people.
No one gave you a label, that happens at Jesus' table. Advice from me is nice, but Jesus is the one who paid the price. (for us)
menrov wrote:
2 weeks ago
Is that what I said? If I challenge (some part of) the scriptures and the interpretations by religious organisations, does that make me an atheist? If I disagree with certain policies in the company I work for, does it make me disloyal?
(Matt 4:7)
menrov wrote:
2 weeks ago
Are you saying that if you want to believe in God and Jesus, you have to fully accept the scriptures, regardless which source or translation or else you are an atheist?
What I said was very clear, and I don't need you to put your spin to it. (Matt 6:28)

Stranger, (2 Cor 13:3)

Bruno

#24 Post by Bruno » 2 weeks ago

menrov wrote:
2 weeks ago

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

I think Alan Watts may give some insight into Menrov's mind.

Karl

Stranger

#25 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

Hi Bruno,

Good to see your name appear back up on the board. You been as quiet as a mouse with the cat on full alert.

Interesting video my friend and brother, at the 3:50 mark I was reminded of this song and these words:

"Hey Dad, can I have the Geese to your Christ slur?
See you later when I'm on my knees."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhoOp2fUzg

Stranger, :wave:

simplyme

#26 Post by simplyme » 2 weeks ago

It’s our nature right now to form a bubble of a belief system and like minded individuals.
This is security and stability for us. It becomes our truth and it’s also a echo chamber of validation. We all do it. But that doesn’t mean it is the Truth.
To step out of that bubble and search and investigate new ideas takes courage. We lose our stability and security.
I personally have found that I am more intimate with “God” and I’m not dependent on a belief system. There is an inner knowing

Stranger

#27 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

simplyme wrote:
2 weeks ago
It’s our nature right now to form a bubble of a belief system and like minded individuals.
Hi Simplyme,

I feel that for many here, it is the nature they have always known. A "great little many" were born inside a bubble with a force field around it. (Hence: the JW's)
simplyme wrote:
2 weeks ago
This is security and stability for us. It becomes our truth and it’s also a echo chamber of validation. We all do it. But that doesn’t mean it is the Truth.
Truth is a deep well, I'm not sure if it's deeper than Jacob's well, or if the echo would sound the same or not when it bounces back from the water.
simplyme wrote:
2 weeks ago
To step out of that bubble and search and investigate new ideas takes courage. We lose our stability and security.
When you stop hearing the echos' the bubble has burst and you have become stable enough to step out with security to search and investigate, is more the way I feel at this point. (Hence: peace and security!)
simplyme wrote:
2 weeks ago
I personally have found that I am more intimate with “God” and I’m not dependent on a belief system. There is an inner knowing
Please continue, I noticed you didn't put a period and was hoping there is more.

Stranger, (Rom 1:1)

simplyme

#28 Post by simplyme » 2 weeks ago

Stranger I don’t know if I can answer you adequately.

I’m still on my journey. Brother James comments a few days ago really resonated with me. Was the timing on that coincidence? I don’t think so.
My inner knowing or intuition knows our minds are our biggest problem. Our minds create maybe all of our fears, anxieties and stresses thinking about our past or future. It creates our bubbles we live in. It creates the ideologies that are our truth.
If you watch young children they are not thinking, they are experiencing. Our minds are greatly controlled by our egos.
Living and experiencing life in the here and now in the fruitages of the Spirit is where God is.
There is no judgment or negative emotions there for us or anybody else. Our mind creates these judgements or negative emotions which blocks God’s Spirit.

Bobcat

#29 Post by Bobcat » 2 weeks ago

The CLAM book study for the week of 4/26/21 discusses Ezekiel chapter 17. This post shows the chiastic structure for that chapter (a little ways down in the post). (Or, if you use Chrome browser, this link may take you directly to the chiasm of Ezek 17.)

The Society's dating used in the book study is seriously skewed. But one point of interest can be found in Constable's Notes in connection with this prophecy (that is, Ezekiel 17):
Ezek 17:15-16 However, the vine rebelled against the eagle. Zedekiah rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar and sent to Egypt for arms and troops to resist the Babylonians. Pharaoh Hophra (Gr. Apries, 589-570 B.C.) is the second strong eagle in the riddle to which the vine sent out its roots and branches for sustenance, probably in 588 B.C. (Ezek 17:7). If this prophecy is in chronological order, as seems likely, Ezekiel gave it between 592 (Ezek 8:1) and 591 B.C. (Ezek 20:1). This means that he predicted Zedekiah’s revolt about three years before it happened. For years the pro-Egyptian faction in Jerusalem had advocated seeking help from that direction. Obviously Zedekiah could not escape Nebuchadnezzar’s wrath since he had broken the covenant under which he served him, a covenant that he had sworn in God’s name (cf. Ezek 5:7; 2 Chron. 36:13)
[Underlining and bolding is Bobcat's. Some scripture citations were edited to work with the RefTagger app.]

Bobcat

Bobcat

#30 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

An article discussing drink offerings and references to them in the NT: Here.

This article is an even more thorough discussion of drink offerings.

Bobcat