Chiastic Structure in Genesis

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis

#11 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Incidentally, for any interested, I added a significant amount of material to posts # 7, 9, & 10.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis [Judah Inclusion - Gen 38]

#12 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

[Judah Inclusion]

This post involves the literary structure to the "Judah Inclusion." This is part "C" in the "Joseph Narrative" (here).

Judah's relationship with Tamar is inserted within the story of Joseph. This page (part 1) and part 2 discuss this passage and the possible reasons for the writer of Genesis adding it here.

This PDF lays out the symmetrical structure to this "Judah Inclusion." Below is the gist or abbreviated version from the PDF:
A. Joseph to Egypt (Gen 37:36)

. . . B. Shuah bears three sons to Judah (Gen 38:1-5)

. . . . . . C. Tamar and Judah (Gen 38:6-11)

. . . . . . . . . D. Judah and his friend Hirah to Timnath (Gen 38:12-13)

. . . . . . . . . . . . E. Tamar takes off widow’s garb and puts on vail (Gen 38:14)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F. Lust (Gen 38:15)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X. The dialogue (Gen 38:16-18; see also below)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F^ Conceived (Gen 38:18b)

. . . . . . . . . . . . E^ Tamar puts off vail and puts on widow’s garb (Gen 38:19)

. . . . . . . . . D^. Judah and his friend sent to Timnath (Gen 3:20-23)

. . . . . . C^ Tamar and Judah (Gen 38:24-26)

. . . B^ Tamar bears two sons to Judah (Gen 38:27-30)

A^ Joseph to Egypt (Gen 39:1)

As the PDF points out, Gen 37:36 and Gen 39:1 forms an inclusio that brackets the Judah Inclusion. It helps to see that this was a purposeful inclusion by the writer of Genesis. Its placement in this position within the larger account was for a reason.

The center or pivot point of the chiasm above can also be shown as having a symmetrical pattern:
A. Judah said ... 'Let me come into you' (thinking she is a prostitute) (Gen 38:16a)

. . . B. Tamar said ... 'What will you give me?' (Gen 38:16b)

. . . . . . C. Judah said ... 'I will send a kid from the flock' (Gen 38:17a)

. . . . . . C^ Tamar said ... 'Only if you give me a pledge first' (Gen 38:17b)

. . . B^ Judah said ... 'What pledge will I give to you?' (Gen 38:18a)

A^ Tamar said ...'Your signet ring, your cord, and your staff' (Gen 38:18b)

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#13 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

For any interested, I added the Table of Nations & Tower of Babel portions (Gen 10; 11:1-9) in post # 6 (here).

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

AmosAu3

#14 Post by AmosAu3 » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 year ago
For any interested, I added the Table of Nations & Tower of Babel portions (Gen 10; 11:1-9) in post # 6 (here).

Bobcat
Hi Bobcat,

Excellent.

I think that you'll find the enclosed link very interesting & helpful with future studies on the 70 Nations. There are 70 Nations that came from Noah and another 70 Nations that came from Abraham. The link helps to flesh out some of this information. It's not exhaustive. The 70 from Abraham appear to parallel those from Noah.

https://hebrewnations.com/articles/bibl ... venty.html

Regards, Amos.

Bobcat

#15 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Amos,

I incorporated the numbers of sons into the Table of Nations chiasm. Thanks for the informative link. (The link has 40 for Ham. It is actually 30. Just a typo I'm sure.) That was interesting comparing the descendants of Abraham with the descendants of Noah's sons.

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

AmosAu3

#16 Post by AmosAu3 » 1 year ago

Hi Bobcat,

I thought the link might interest you. I've recently started checking many of these OT historical points that interest me. I find it amazing how much information we can walk straight past & not notice.

Keep digging,

Amos.

Bobcat

#17 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

For any interested, see post # 5 (here) for the symmetrical structure in Genesis 6:1-9:29.

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#18 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

I added a chiasm/symmetry for Genesis chapter 24 here. It is the chapter detailing the selection of Rebekah as Isaac's wife.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis - The Aqedah

#19 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Chiasm of Genesis 22:1-19, also known as The Aqedah (See here.)

The Command to Sacrifice Isaac (Gen 22:1-19) (Copied from here.)

A. There you shall offer him up as a holocaust (Gen 22:1-2)

. . .B. God himself will provide the sheep for the holocaust. (Gen 22:3-8)

. . . . . . C. I know now how devoted you are to God, (Gen 22:9-12)

. . . B^ Abraham named the site Yahweh-yireh; (Gen 22:13-14)

A^ You did in not withholding from me your beloved son (Gen 22:15-19)

Legend: A=Offering one's child; B=God will provide; C=How devoted you are to God.

For parallels between the Aqedah (Gen 22) and Lekh Lekha (Gen 12:1-5) see this PDF.

For an interesting discussion on the literary structural possibilities for Gen 22:1-19, see the two part article here (Part 1) and here (Part 2).

On the idea that this (Gen 22:12) is an example of some so-called "selective foreknowledge" on God's part, see Gal 6:7-8; 1Jn 3:20; Isa 46:9-10. Compare also Gen 22:11 with 1Pe 1:12.

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis - Toledot (Generations)

#20 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Since this thread is about literary structure in Genesis, I thought the subject of the Hebrew word toledot might be in order.

This post includes a number of links on the subject that discuss how the ten occurrences of toledot in Genesis divide the book into ten sections and help provide some insight into how Moses organized the material that makes up the book of Genesis.

If I find some especially significant links I will add them to the above. This may be of interest for Amos' thread here (and perhaps visa-versa).

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index