Chiastic Structure in Genesis

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis [Link Regarding God Regretting & Gen 6:7]

#61 Post by Bobcat » 3 months ago

A interesting thread discussion on Reddit AcademicBiblical that discusses differences between the MT, LXX & Sp in connection with Genesis 6:7 and God 'regretting': Here.

This could also possibly have been posted in the thread Interesting Stuff. But I decided the Genesis nature of the post fit better here.

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis [Links - Noah & Cannan & Lot]

#62 Post by Bobcat » 3 months ago

Cross-linking to two threads that might have a relationship to this one:
1. Noah's curse on Canaan: Here.

2. Similarities in the story line between Noah and Lot: Here.

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis [Video on Babel]

#63 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

I came across a well done video on Babel. I can't vouch for everything the narrator says, but it brings in a lot of research on the topic.

One of the things the narrator says is that the builders of the city and tower never express any opposition to Yahweh. But the builder's expression, "lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth," in Gen 11:4 may, in fact, represent their determination not to abide by Yahweh's post-flood directive to "be fruitful and multiply on the earth." (Gen 8:17) The wording of Gen 11:4 would represent the distaste with which the city builders viewed God's directive and their intention of not abiding by it. (Not unlike how the serpent distastefully worded God's directive to Adam and Eve about the tree of knowledge. - Gen 3:1)

For some additional links to this topic:
Chiastic structure in the Babel account of Gen 11:1-9 (here).

Relating the Tower of Babel to the beginning of the Gentile Times (here).

This post, under the sub-topic, "Let Seven Times Pass Over It," for some discussion of how the start of the Gentile Times might compare with the dating of the Tower of Babel incident.

Speculation related to post-flood continental drifting (here) (3rd from the last paragraph)

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis [Possible Coding in Genesis]

#64 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

Poster Vanderhoven posted a video (on another board) that is a bit interesting. I am still working my way thru the video. But so far, here is what I found:
1. First 15 minutes: Discussion of the meanings of the names in Genesis chapter 5. (Somewhat related to this post.)
A. On the meaning of Methuselah's name and the start of the flood (starting at 6:20 mark).
2. From 15 to 34 minutes: A short history of cryptography. (I take it that this will be related to the Bible somehow.)

3. From 34 to the end: Various things encrypted within Bible text.
A. Regarding the Torah (starting at 35), including encrypted trees and "appointed times."

B. Encrypting in Isaiah 53 (starting at about 43 minutes). (See also here.)

C. Statement that one needs book of Ruth to understand Revelation ?!? (He didn't elaborate, but see also here.)

D. Esther (starting at 44:45). See also this thread.
(As I make my way thru I will post a brief synopsis in this list with time hacks. The links to the various threads on chiasmus have been inserted in the possibility that there is some connection.)

My initial reaction to the title of the video was to smirk a bit. But the first 15 minutes turned out to be worth it. We'll see what the rest brings. So take it or leave it as you see fit.

With that said, here is the video:

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in Genesis [Possible Coding (Continued)]

#65 Post by Bobcat » 3 weeks ago

The post just above had part 1 of a video series on "Cosmic Codes." This post has parts 2 & 3.

Part 2:

Part 3:

Bobcat

Genesis Index
Return to Main Index