Interesting Differences Between Luke & Matthew/Mark

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Interesting Differences Between Luke & Matthew/Mark

#1 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

I started this thread as a place to put research on differences that can be found in Luke as opposed to Matthew and Mark (and visa-versa). I have a few posts on the topic already but I can never find them when I am looking for them. Thus, this thread.

I already have a thread to catalog differences between the synoptic gospels and the fourth gospel (here). So this thread will serve a complementary purpose.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Interesting Differences Between Luke & Matthew/Mark

#2 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

This thread highlights a few differences that Matthew, Mark and Luke have between each other regarding the phrase, "Lord of the Sabbath the Son of Man is," as well as the context.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#3 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

This post has a number of links to discussions of the Faithful Slave parable.

Several of them have comparisons between Matthew, Mark and Luke regarding differences between them.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

This post has research on the differences between Mt 24:32-33, Mk 13:28-29 & Lu 21:29-31, specifically, between the phrase "he/it is near" in Matthew and Mark, and Luke's "the kingdom of God is near." It was an answer in response to a question posed by former poster Apocalypse.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#5 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Article on some of the differences between the four gospel accounts: Here.

And here is another one, more generic in tone.

And yet another here.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#6 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Here is the starting point of a discussion of Matthew's and Luke's phrase, "Where the body/corpse is, there the eagle/vulture will be." The link starts at post # 269 and the discussion goes on to post # 286.

This was a really interesting one to me. What first caught my attention about it was a footnote in the NET Bible that expressed a completely different take on the phrase compared with what the WT teaches on it.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#7 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

This post has a comparison of the parable of the wedding banquet in Mt 22:1-14 with the parable of the great banquet in Luke 14:7-24.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#8 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Interesting differences between Mt 19:28 and Luke 22:28-30.

Here is Mt 19:28 rNWT:
Jesus said to them: “Truly I say to you, in the re-creation, when the Son of man sits down on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will sit on 12 thrones, judging the 12 tribes of Israel.

And for comparison, here is Luke 22:28-30 rNWT:
However, you are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; 29 and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones+ to judge the 12 tribes of Israel.

The Matthew quote occurs sometime prior to the Last Supper. (According to Appendix A7-F in the back of the rNWT, it was sometime after Lazarus' death and resurrection, but before passing thru Jericho and visiting with Zacchaeus.) The Luke quote occurs during the Lord's Evening Meal. In the Matthew setting, Jesus follows this portion about sitting on 12 thrones and judging the 12 tribes of Israel with a brief description of the rewards for 'everyone leaving things behind to become a disciple.' This part is missing in Luke. Also, Luke omits the "12 thrones." Instead, Luke has, "sit on thrones." The reason for this difference is possibly because Judas (the 12th apostle) is already gone to arrange for Jesus' arrest.

Another interesting comparison is "you who have followed me" in Matthew 19:28 with, "you are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials" in Luke 22:28.

Some comments on this portion of Mt 19 can be found here.

On the Greek verb diatithemi (Strong's # 1303) rendered "make a covenant" in the NWT at Lu 22:29, see this thread.

Bobcat

Stranger

#9 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Hi Bobcat,

Although classified as parallel accounts, it goes to show that no two fingerprints or snowflakes are identical!

Stranger, (Ec 9:2 KJV)

Bobcat

#10 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Stranger,

Yes indeed!

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. I hope he can pull thru. Does he live in your area?

Bobcat