The 390 & 40 Days of Ezekiel Chapter 4

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: The 390 & 40 Days of Ezekiel Chapter 4

#21 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

To John S,
To Bobcat

Well , I know you might not think I know anything about Chronology, but for the sake of anyone reading here who wants to know the truth about 1914 being a pivotal date, and 607 bce, the starting point....
John, you seem a bit paranoid. YOU are the first person to mention 1914 in this thread. But if anyone is interested in how significant 1914 AD is to God, I would invite you to read this post (and this one also, which are both in the same thread).

But yes, 607 BCE has been, using your terminology, 'attacked' in this thread.

John said:

As far as history goes, I believe it is safe to say Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BCE, is that not so?

539 is the Cardinal starting point most all Biblical Dates are reckoned from?
Agreed!

John said:

Well, then, looking at 2 Chronicles 36:15-23, and the following account of Ezra 1, where the Jews bought Cyrus the inspired writings of Jeremiah and Isaiah, where Cyrus was named 200 years before his birth as the prophetic liberator, (see Isa. 44:24-28)...

And we have recorded historical writings, of the meeting with Cyrus in Ezra, where the Jews show him God used him to punish Babylon and free the Jews after 70 years..... just as Jeremiah prophesied ( Jer. 25:10-12.. and also see Leviticus 26 where it was foretold there would be 7 times and also the land would pay back its sabbaths by being subjected to a foreign kingdom 900 years before it occurred.)

So after assembling materials, go[l]d, silver, and food, an army specifically to empower this 70 year prophecy ON THE NOSE!

Up to this point in your post I agree with you. Yes, I agree that the 70 year prophecy was fulfilled, as you said, "ON THE NOSE". But here is where we begin to differ.

You cite 2Ch 36:15-21. Specifically, 2Ch 36:21 is where the 70 years is referred to:
The land enjoyed its sabbath rests; all the time of its desolation it rested, until the seventy years were completed in fulfillment of the word of the LORD spoken by Jeremiah. (2Ch 36:21 NIV)
Daniel also mentions the 70 years, and also attributes it to Jeremiah:
In the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years that, according to the word of the LORD to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years. (Dan 9:2 ESV)
Both of these verses correctly attribute the prophecy about the "70 years" to Jeremiah. So where does Jeremiah speak about "70 years"? And to what was Jeremiah referring in connection with the 70 years?

There are only two places in Jeremiah where he refers to these 70 years. And they are both referring to the same thing:
"This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years." (Jer 25:11 NIV)

"For thus says the LORD: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place." (Jer 29:10 ESV)

or as the NET puts it:

"For the LORD says, 'Only when the seventy years of Babylonian rule are over will I again take up consideration for you. Then I will fulfill my gracious promise to you and restore you to your homeland." (Jer 29:10 NET)
Here is where we differ John. You apply the 70 years to Jewish exile. But these verses in Jeremiah apply them to the length of the rule of the Babylonians. They are related to the Jewish exile. But they are not the length of the Jewish exile. They are the length of Babylonian rule over Israel and "these nations". According to Jer 25:11 and Jer 29:10 the exile would only end after Babylonian rule ended.

As you correctly pointed out, Babylonian rule ended in 539 BCE. There is no dispute about that. So that leads us to the next logical question: When did Babylonian rule begin? More specifically, according to Jer 25:11, the 70 years of servitude to Babylon would be, not just for Judah, but also over "these nations." So the 70 years is not even necessarily the whole length of the dominance of the Babylonian empire, but refers to Babylonian dominance over Israel and "these nations". Who are included in "these nations"? Jer 25:9 says:
So I, the LORD, affirm that I will send for all the peoples of the north and my servant, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. I will bring them against this land [i.e. the Jewish nation] and its inhabitants and all the nations that surround it. (Jer 25:9a NET)
Judah and "these nations" would collectively refer to what is now called The Levant. But back to our now modified question: 'When did Babylonian rule over the Levant begin? Here is what Wikipedia (here) says about when Babylon overtook Assyria:
Under Nabopolassar, a previously unknown Chaldean chieftain, Babylon escaped Assyrian rule, and in an alliance with Cyaxares, king of the Medes and Persians together with the Scythians and Cimmerians, finally destroyed the Assyrian Empire between 612 BC and 605 BC. Babylon thus became the capital of the Neo-Babylonian (sometimes and possibly erroneously called the Chaldean) Empire.
Can we narrow that, "between 612 BC and 605 BC", a little further? This page (under the 1st sub-title) on OT history says this:
The end of the Assyrian Empire unfolded largely during the reign of Josiah, and his death in 609 occurred as the Assyrian Empire was breathing its last. So in a real sense the era of the reign of Josiah marked the transition between these two empires [i.e. Assyria and Babylon].
So if one were to use 612 (the fall of Nineveh) as the date for when Babylon replaced Assyria as the dominant Biblical world power, then, 609 BC is a very conceivable date for Babylonian influence in the Levant (Judah and "these nations"). Historically, it was only at the death of Josiah in 609 that Babylonian influence became a worry for Israel. Israel briefly became a vassal to Egypt after Josiah's death. But the purpose of that Egyptian vassalage was to receive protection from expanding Babylonian influence. Using 609 BC as a starting point for Babylonian influence in the Levant, this would make the servitude of Judah and "these nations" to Babylon, collectively, right at 70 years, or, from 609 to 539. Just as Jeremiah foretold. Judah officially became a Babylonian vassal state around 605 BC. So Judah itself actually served the king of Babylon for about 66 years. But that is really no problem, because the prophecy said that the Jewish nation and "these nations" would collectively serve Babylon for 70 years. Which, collectively, they did. Just like you said, right "ON THE NOSE."

And what about when 2Ch 36:21 said, "The land enjoyed its sabbath rests; all the time of its desolation it rested"? When one uses 587 BC as the date for the fall of Jerusalem and when the land was depopulated, well, look at what happens to the math:
Two More Examples

Another couple of examples to show that the 587 dating of Jerusalem's fall works best can be seen from footnote 37 on pp.222-23 of Gentile Times Reconsidered (here):
The actual length of the land’s sabbath rest was 49 years, from the final desolation and depopulation in 587 B.C.E. until the return of the exiles in 538. Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but this was also the maximal period during which a Hebrew could be deprived of the proprietorship of his ancestral inheritance, according to the law of land tenure. If he became so poor that he had to sell his land, it could not be sold beyond reclaim. If it could not be bought back, the purchaser had to return it to him at the next jubilee.—Leviticus 25:8-28.

If the 49 years of sabbath rest corresponded to the exact number of sabbatical years that had been neglected by the Israelites, the whole period of violation of the law would be 49 x 7 = 343 years. If this period extended to 587 B.C.E., its beginning would date from about 930 B.C.E. Interestingly, modern chronologers who have carefully examined both the Biblical and extra-Biblical evidence, usually date the division of the kingdom to 930 B.C.E. or thereabouts. (F. X. Kugler, for example, has 930, E. R. Thiele and K. A. Kitchen 931/30, and W. H. Barnes 932 B.C.E.) As this national disaster resulted in a massive break away from the temple cult in Jerusalem by a majority of the people, it is not unreasonable to think that an extensive neglect of the sabbatical years also dates from this time.
The two examples here would be (1.) The fact that the land was mostly depopulated from 587 to 538 (i.e. 49 years) equates with the Mosaic Law's did not allow selling off ancestral property for more than 49 years. And (2.) If one counts from 930 (the break in the kingdom) as the start of failing to observe the Sabbath year provision, then, the 49 years of exile (from 587 to 538) equates with will the Sabbath years that had to be paid back by the Israelites. (2Ch 36:21 NET) The year 587 (rather than 607) fits quite nicely in the fulfillment of Mosaic Law provisions.
I simply copied this from the opening post of this thread. But the quoted material itself is from a footnote in Gentile Times Reconsidered.

Using 587 as the fall of Jerusalem and the depopulating of the land (which has a huge amount of evidence to support it, just like 539), and 538 as the year of Cyrus' decree freeing the Jews, you get 49 years. 49 is the exact number of sabbath years that would have been missed starting with the split in the kingdom in 931 BC (when Jeroboam abandoned the Mosaic Law and the sabbath year arrangement; 931/30 - 587 = 344/343; 344/343 / 7 = 49.)

Moreover, the Law only allowed a person's ancestral property to be deprived for 49 years. After that it had to be returned to him. And thus, the nation was removed from its property for 49 years (587 to 538). After which it was returned, just as the Law stated.

But when you use 607, you deprive Jehovah of the credit for sticking so closely to the provisions of the Law. You don't want to do that, do you, John? The only reason you stick to 607 is because you want to stick to 1914 AD, and 607 just happens to be the date you get when you count back 2520 years from 1914. So that is your only basis for 607. It makes your contrived math work. There is nothing historical about the date 607. Its only value is to make people think that you know how to do math. You deprive Jehovah of the credit in all these things above so that you can look like you know how to do math and to make your pet 2520 year doctrine work. That is what 607 really boils done to. (Contrast Rom 3:4)

On the subject of whether I think you know chronology: I am not concerned about how much chronological knowledge you have. I'll leave that for others to judge. But, like you, much of what I included in this post was for others who might read it. We've been over this topic before and I don't hold out much hope of persuading you.

I will say this, though: Your posting and/or writing style leaves a little to be desired. Especially when you want to take on someone's viewpoint in a rather technical topic. Your style is a bit rambling and not particularly precise. Which is your choice, of course. But that style doesn't work too well when you are trying to tackle a technical topic like chronology. That's my opinion of course. So take it of leave it as you see fit.

Bobcat

John S

#22 Post by John S » 2 years ago

BC....

I know I was a little Nervy, and nervous... writing such a letter, knowing this is a real issue with you .....that is ..607 Is NOT the date....or pretty close to the reckoned date of Jerusalem’s fall.

The fall of Jerusalem was so important to the Jews, and to us Christians. Why?

Of course Jews knew something was coming down from God , because Jeremiah was hammering on God’s disfavor upon the evil kings and princes of Judah for years. A day of reckoning was long anticipated.....

...just as today. A day of reckoning for this evil world, is long overdue.

I state this:

We ARE in the last days of this evil world system ruled by Satan, and his demons, who are all over the earth here. God and Christ say it through the Word, the end of the world as we know it is so near even all people of the earth anticipate it.

The scriptures foretell, when Christ comes, and all Hell is breaking loose on earth, war, earthquakes, fire from heaven....all the things foretold for ......” then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and in the rocks of the mountains. They called to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?” Rev. 6:15-17

So, people will know, because before this ...many events prophesied in the word, will be pinpointed by Christians, particularly a final great Two Witnesses preaching /prophesying/ miracle plying event , that shatters the worship of the Beast and the wild beast whose death stroke got healed’s hold on earth’s enslaved billions who are being pressured -upon pain of death -to take the mark of the beast.

This great event is foretold to begin when Christ receives the Judaic kingdom 7 times 360 days....’a day for a year’ as prophetic rules are laid out in scripture.

‘Until you KNOW that the Most High is ruler in the kingdom of men and to the one he wants to, the rulership is given, and he sets up the lowliest one of mankind’.Dan 4:16,17

This 7 times prophecy was played out in a prophetic drama by Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel’s time.

The kingdom fell when Babylon took Jerusalem circa 607 BC. If we simply do as the word says...count back 70 years from the Time the Jews repopulated Jerusalem, which no doubt did not happen immediately upon Cyrus entry into Babylon, but would take many months do gather the people, to have Cyrus’ proclamation spread abroad through his Kingdom...becoming law, etc. and a 500 mile foot journey , and all the above preparation for the rebuilding and re population of Judaea.539. BC plus months of planning and preparation....to say, 537 BC....

....then 607 BC is something right on or so close , although we don’t know exactly to the month.

But, if that date , you and your expert chronologists state...that the Sabbath law of 49 years was the time period of the desolation of Jerusalem....(which is totally putting words in the mouth of the Jews who brought Cyrus the scrolls of Jeremiah and Isaiah)

.....then why would Cyrus even waste his time with these scroll reading Jews and their miracle prophecy? The prophecy specifically states :70 years.

70.....not 49.

You are trying to shift canoes midstream and also muddy the clear water of truth here.

And I KNOW WHY you and others are doing this.

Your point for years, and not just you...several on these ex-JW sites, are theorizing...that there is no Last Days prophesy, and we are NOT in an epoch end time catastrophic period foretold 2000 years ago.

Some of your comrades in arms, go so far to say,

“ There is no last days for this world, as that prophecy ALL fulfilled in Jerusalem! And the destruction of the 1,100,000 Jews there.”

And , of course, these friends of yours will state flatly, “ There is no Judgement from Heaven against evildoers at all, for men are not accountable for the evil they do! “

Some now hint that God cannot and WILL NOT judge mankind, for our free will choices, because HE IS THE ONE who made us this way!

Oh yes, very slick, but I see it coming, because I have fought these false concepts online for ten years. And this, ‘Where is this promised presence of his?’ Attitude and the Jerusalem!....it’s all about Jerusalem! ....false prophesy too.

So, I’m not buying into the 49 year desolation of Judaea. It was 70 as foretold, and it moved the King of all the earth, so much, he not freed his newly acquired nation of Jews......

....but financed their trip home, and the funds to rebuild the city and worship of this never before known God, Jehovah.

Cyrus, BELIEVED, because it come true just as the 70 year prophecy foretold.

And, knowing you do not believe 1914 is the year Jesus was crowned again as King , in heaven where he lived....

... well, that is your free will to decide.

But myself? I try my best to stand up for this remarkable event. The crowning of Christ as King of the Judaic line, and the World . Rev, 5,6 and 11:15-18

So, I know what I’m talking about, because I am not a newcomer to Bible prophesies, although I’m no expert in all chronology, I can add back 70 years from 537. BC. Or thereabout, and come to 607bc.

And I can add, 2,520......7 prophetic times 360 days. A day for a year, and include the year that makes 1bc to 1 ad and from 607 bc arrive at 1914.

And guess what? Bingo!

The total war.....food shortages, great earthquakes deadly plague, and all foretold in REv. 6, Matt 24, Luke 21

Occurred, and I was a witness, and still am to these prophecies.

So. That’s about it from me.

I hope others here will think about the above some. And not swallow everything just because ‘experts’ seem to be digging into the truth, but all the while , doubt the Word.

Bobcat

#23 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Well, John, thank you for stating your position.

Bobcat

Stranger

#24 Post by Stranger » 2 years ago

What I would like to know is, who's chronological time line are you guys using?

Is there any at all that have a fact based accurate beginning?

If you don't have an accurate starting point, then how can you really have faith in any of the dates given?

Stranger

Bobcat

#25 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Hi Stranger,
What I would like to know is, who's chronological time line are you guys using?

Is there any at all that have a fact based accurate beginning?

If you don't have an accurate starting point, then how can you really have faith in any of the dates given?
In a way it is like putting together a puzzle. You look for clues on each piece of the puzzle that would match it to other pieces. At first it is difficult finding matching pieces, and then figuring out how the pieces fit together (side by side or one above another, etc). As more and more pieces are put together the problem becomes easier to resolve.

Historians try to piece together an historical timeline based on archeology, documents, astrological sightings and any other evidence they can find that gives indications of when events happened. Astronomical sightings are one such way. The planets and stars move in predictable fashion. (Gen 1:14) So if one has accurate sightings they can be related to calendar time. For example, using astronomical algorithms, one can plot back in time and know where the moon was, and what phase it was in, on any given date. Solar and Lunar eclipses are both predictable and rare enough and they catch peoples attention so that they make great markers in time. Thus, for example, imagine you had a document that said a business transaction took place in the 1st month, 10th day of the 19th year of Nebuchadnezzar. And an astronomical sighting that said a lunar eclipse was visible on the 20th day of that same month and year. And that Mars was also visible in a certain section of the night sky the next month. You would now start to have a basis for calculating when this took place. At first, the available evidence might give you several possibilities. But as more evidence comes to light the exact date can be narrowed down, often with very great accuracy, even to the exact day. It all depends on how much evidence becomes available.

The Bible also gives timeline markers. For example, the Bible says that Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians in the 19th year of Nebuchadnezzar. The problem is that with just the Bible alone there is no way to figure out when the 19th year of Nebuchadnezzar is on our calendar, since the Hebrews did not use our calendar. (For example, see how chronological references are pieced together to establish when something happened - here.)

As John mentioned in his post above, 539 BC has been established as the year that Babylon fell to the Medes and Persians. There is, in fact, so much evidence that establishes it, that the date is beyond question. So the events of Daniel 5 (with the writing on the wall and Belshazzar's death, etc) can all be pinpointed with great accuracy. To the very day, in fact. Imagine someone questioning when your birthday happened. You have eyewitnesses and documents and maybe even photos that prove beyond question when that was. The fall of Babylon also has such an amount of evidence to make it an established date.

With this established date you can now begin building a timeline both forward and backwards. For example, knowing when Belshazzar died, and knowing that he was a regent for X number of years, if an event happened in his 5th year of regency you can now pinpoint that event with great accuracy.

So, in a nutshell, history can be pieced together into a timeline by using these established events and then piecing together other events based on their relationship to the established events. And historians have been at it for centuries. So a lot of historical events are quite well established at this point. Others are still waiting for evidence to help pinpoint them more accurately.

Bobcat

Note:

Regarding the fall of Jerusalem to Babylon: Carl Olaf Jonsson, in his book, Gentile Times Reconsidered points out that, for all the evidence available to fix the fall of Babylon to 539 BC, that there is an even greater amount of evidence that establishes the fall of Jerusalem to Babylon in 587 BC. To historians, the date for the fall of Jerusalem to Babylon is beyond question. There is some discrepancy as to whether it was 587 or 586. (See the link above for some discussion about this.) But beyond that there is no question. I touched on this in the opening post in this thread.

The argument in these things is that the WT, and the WT alone, holds to Jerusalem's fall to the Babylonians in 607 BC. The WT holds to 539 as an established date, beyond questioning. Yet, despite the even greater evidence for 587, it holds to 607 for the fall of Jerusalem. One thing that clouds the issue is the fact that WT uses this 607 dating to establish 1914, and by extension, their claimed appointment as the "faithful slave" in 1919. So, from a neutral investigator's perspective, WT has an ulterior motive for wanting 607 BCE to be the year of Jerusalem's fall to Babylon.

So here is what our 'neutral investigator' would see: All historians, with all their different backgrounds, saying the evidence for Jerusalem's fall points to 587. And on the other side is the WT, by itself, claiming that all the others are wrong, that it is 607. And the WT has a very important reason why they want it to be 607 (the 'motive' from 'motive & opportunity' - the process investigators use to establish a culprit).

At any rate, I don't want to restate the arguments in the posts above and in the whole thread. For me, getting the dates right allows seeing history in a more accurate light.

Stranger

#26 Post by Stranger » 2 years ago

Hello Bobcat,

In a way it is like putting together a puzzle. You look for clues on each piece of the puzzle that would match it to other pieces. At first it is difficult finding matching pieces, and then figuring out how the pieces fit together (side by side or one above another, etc). As more and more pieces are put together the problem becomes easier to resolve.
First of all, thank you for your response, very satisfying! I most assuredly appreciate your time. and even more importantly, your background of study and knowledge which equals into your wisdom and sound advice, thank you for sharing it!

I agree that we have learned how to tell time with very much precision, and that we, with the calendar we were born using, can calculate and predict "heavenly happenings" (solar system timed occurrences) to our own amazement.

That twenty year piece of puzzle the WT is claiming fits, seems to be missing or totally bogus. You know I'm pretty neutral to all the calendars, there are still over forty still in use around the World from what I read.

Although I live here in America I still don't believe everything we have learned in history, or if NASA really knows what time it is. Don't get me wrong, I got no problem with what time we know to be, or should I say what time it's gonna be, when all the puzzle pieces are put in place.

I found a good album cover and a good song, if you got four minutes and forty seconds you can spare I hope you take a gander and a listen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5C1zOK16w

If I got to go find one good man, I'm headed straight to Laurens Co. ;) !

Stranger, (1Pet 1:12 KJV)

AmosAu2

#27 Post by AmosAu2 » 2 years ago

Hi Bobcat Stranger,

Just a quick note for now.

I believe the following is as close as we can get.

539 BCE is an absolute date....established almost without possibility for error & generally universally recognized.

587 & 586 BCE.....According to all that I've researched on the fall of Jerusalem, both dates are correct. WHY? The Babylonian siege began in 587 BCE & the subsequent fall was the following year, 586 BCE. I know there has been lots of discussions surrounding this, but it really is quite straightforward.

This sequence is almost the same length of time as the destruction of the second temple in 70 CE. We are quite familiar with the events surrounding the second destruction. The siege by Rome was for a similar time as the first temple. It takes about 1 to 2 years to use up the food reserves before the city can be conquered....it's a time factor.

Regards, Amos.

John S

#28 Post by John S » 2 years ago

Amos,And BC....

Lets summarize this way ,

You say secular chronology says the Bible is wrong, and the Jews did
not bring Cyrus absolute proof of the PROPHECY’s fulfillment in Jeremiah and Daniel, that the Jews would have to serve the King of Babylon 70 years...

.....but they were only incarcerated 49 or 50 years?

So...the Bible is wrong?

That IS what you are saying.

The Bible is wrong. Ezra and Chronicles are a lie.

Bobcat

#29 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

John said:

Amos,And BC....

Lets summarize this way ,

You say secular chronology says the Bible is wrong, and the Jews did
not bring Cyrus absolute proof of the PROPHECY’s fulfillment in Jeremiah and Daniel, that the Jews would have to serve the King of Babylon 70 years...

.....but they were only incarcerated 49 or 50 years?
John, your 'summary' is incorrect. The Jews (as I pointed out in one of my posts above) became a vassal of Babylon in 605 BC. So they actually served the king of Babylon for 66 years (605 to 539). Others of the surrounding nations may have become vassals even before that. As one of the links showed, the death of Josiah in 609 can be roughly equated with the start of Babylonian influence in the Levant. So, collectively, the nations of the Levant did serve the king of Babylon for 70 years. Exactly as the prophecy said.

Now I can't speak for Amos, but I say that secular chronology (that I presented in my posts in this thread) and the Bible agree with each other. As Jer 25:11 (NET) says, "These nations [Judah and the surrounding nations of the Levant - per Jer 25:9] will be subject to the king of Babylon for 70 years." Footnote 29 at Jer 25:11 in the NET points out:
It should be noted that the text says that the nations will be subject to the king of Babylon for seventy years, not that they will lie desolate for seventy years. Though several proposals have been made for dating this period, many ignore this fact.
John, this was all in my post # 21 above. (Well, not footnote # 29. That is new for this post.)

John said:

So...the Bible is wrong?

That IS what you are saying.

The Bible is wrong. Ezra and Chronicles are a lie.

No, absolutely not. I am saying the Bible is absolutely right. And Ezra and Chronicles are not a lie. And that they agree with the secular chronology that I presented above.

And I am saying that it is your interpretation that misrepresents the Bible. The position you are holding to, which is also the WT's position, makes the Bible out to be lying. That is what I am saying. But I only point this out because you bring it up in such a challenging way. If you had left it alone I would not have addressed you about it.

I believe I presented enough information in my posts on this thread for any reader to draw reasonable conclusions about the subject. And you are free to draw whatever conclusions you want to. Obviously, you and I draw different conclusions.

Bobcat

Notes:

Here are some of the years and lengths of time discussed in this thread so far:
969 - Solomon's marriage to Egyptian princess
968 - Start of Solomon's temple

931/30 - Split in Jewish kingdom
929/928 - Jeroboam establishes apostate worship in 10 tribe kingdom

722 - 10 tribe kingdom exiled by Assyria

649 - Start of Josiah's reign
609 - End of Josiah's reign

605 - Jewish nation becomes vassal to Babylon

587 - Jerusalem destroyed by Babylon, remainder of people exiled

539 - Babylon overthrown by Cyrus
538 - Cyrus issues decree freeing Jews.
390/40 years = 968 to 928 (= 40) to 538 (= 390) (Ezek chapter 4)

587 to 538 (= 49) Number of years (according to the Law) a Jew was allowed to be deprived of his ancestral land.

49 also equals the number of sabbath years missed since split in kingdom (931/30 to 587 = 344/43; 344/343 / 7 = 49).

AmosAu2

#30 Post by AmosAu2 » 2 years ago

Hi John,

I must agree with Bobcat. I think that you have completely misunderstood what we have both said.

I absolutely accept that the bible is correct in its chronology. What is incorrect, is what some institutions like the WTS have tried to make it say.

Bobcat correctly stated that secular history & the bible agree with each other regarding the events surrounding the capture & fall of Jerusalem. Please see the several well laid out topics that have been supplied by Marina regarding the error in the WTS 607 BCE & also 1914 CE doctrines.

Regards, Amos.