The 390 & 40 Days of Ezekiel Chapter 4

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: The 390 & 40 Days of Ezekiel Chapter 4

#171 Post by Bobcat » 10 months ago

Incidentally, see this post for arguments against the WT's 607-1914 timeline and calculations.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#172 Post by Bobcat » 9 months ago

The video below is related to the chronological chart in post # 70 (here).

The video discusses (among other things) the dating differences in the post flood patriarchs between the MT and the LXX & SP texts. That part of the discussion starts at about the 7:00 mark.

One of the interesting parts for me was the gentleman talking with the interviewer says (at just after the 9:00 mark) that the LXX and SP dating pushes the flood back to "about 3108 BCE." In my chart in post # 70 I came up with 2953 BCE for the flood. That is a difference of 155 years. It would have been interesting to know where the differences are in his figures compared to the figures in the post # 70 chart.

Several possibilities come to mind:

1. He might be starting with the MT dating of the flood of 2348 (?) that became the standard dating from a 17th century clergyman (James Usher). The MT date that I came up with before applying the corrections from the LXX & SP was about 2303 BCE.

2. Many view the 430 years of Gal 3:17 as starting when Jacob entered Egypt instead of when God made his covenant with Abraham. That difference in figuring would push Abraham's life backwards 215 years.

3. I also noticed that when they showed the comparison between the post flood patriarchs ages when they had their child they only showed the ones where there was a difference of 100 years. It is possible that he didn't include Nahor who gave birth to Terah, In the MT the age was 29. In the LXX & SP it was 79, a difference of 50 years.

Some combination of these (and possibly some other differences not mentioned) might make up for the 155 year difference.

At any rate, for comparison below is another video that discusses the dating differences between the MT and LXX & SP:

Bobcat

Stranger

#173 Post by Stranger » 9 months ago

Bobcat wrote:
9 months ago
2. Many view the 430 years of Gal 3:17 as starting when Jacob entered Egypt instead of when God made his covenant with Abraham. That difference in figuring would push Abraham's life backwards 215 years.
Hi Bobcat,

Thanks for pointing this out, it's amazing how many times you can read a scripture and not realize the lesson till someone else points it out.

Stranger, (Deut 4:13)

Bobcat

#174 Post by Bobcat » 9 months ago

Below is a graphic depicting the timeline of Babylonian rulers and their concurrent Persian rulers. It is from Jeffro's 607 website (here):

Bobcat

Bobcat

#175 Post by Bobcat » 9 months ago

How long did the ten plagues on Egypt last?

Ex 9:31-32 is a parenthetical note that gives us a rough time hack for the seventh plague. In Constable's Notes it says about this:
The Egyptians used barley (Ex 9:31) to make beer and as animal food, but the poorer people also ate it. These two crops are in bud in late January and early February in lower (northern) Egypt, which enables us to identify the time of year when this plague took place.

One might remember that the actual exodus takes place around late March/early April (Passover time). So it appears that there is some time that expires between each plague. Maybe enough time so that the Egyptians can recognize each plague separately, rather than them thinking that one is possibly related to the next, and so on. (Kind of like pausing between main points in a talk. Allowing the 'point' to sink in.) Also, Moses is 80 when he approaches Pharaoh to begin the request to leave. (Ex 7:7) So the entire time of the plagues is less than a year. (He spends 40 years in the wilderness and dies at 120. Theoretically then, the time occupied by the ten plagues is less than a year.)

Here is how one website analyzes this question.

As a side note, here is a PDF (45 pages) suggesting Thutmoses III as the Pharaoh of the Exodus. Here is the abstract of that PDF.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#176 Post by Bobcat » 8 months ago

Interesting article in The Times of Israel about magnetic field dating in connection with the Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem: Here.

I put it in this thread due to this thread having a lot of chronological information in it.

Also, in a separate note, the PDF on Thutmoses III linked to in the previous post was very, very interesting. The writer uses, in part, a process of elimination to help rule out possible contenders for the title of 'Pharaoh of the Exodus.'

Bobcat

Bobcat

#177 Post by Bobcat » 4 months ago

Since this is my defacto chronological thread, it seemed like the best place to link to the following item:

A 10 page research PDF on Zerah the Cushite/Ethiopian who marched on Judah with a million man army (lit. "a thousand thousand") sometime after the 10th year of Judean king Asa (2Chr 14:8-15): Here. (See list of Jewish kings here.)

The research is drawn from findings in the book Centuries of Darkness (which can be downloaded here). This research holds to an end of Solomon's reign and the split in the 12 tribe Jewish kingdom in or around 930 BCE. (For comparison, WT holds to 997 BCE for the end of Solomon's reign.)

Bobcat

Bobcat

#178 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

The Congregation Book Study for this week (3/15/21) is discussing the prophecy in Ezekiel chapter 4. For an alternative way of seeing how it was fulfilled one might look at the OP in this thread (here).

Chapter 5 of Ezekiel is also discussed some in the Book Study. For a discussion of the phrase, "split into three parts" in Rev 16:19 and its being an allusion to Ezekiel 5, see this post (and the entire thread for that matter).

Bobcat

Dajo1

#179 Post by Dajo1 » 4 weeks ago

Thank you BC

I have been quite intrigued/interested and fascinated by this book. PURE WORSHIP RESTORED ...
The build through the book continues to .."sort of" follow the same old narrative that "we JWs are not like Christendom that WAS like, and is, pictured by ..Jerusalem. THEY are SOoo bad! (Not like us)

Then we have this box on page 174
˙ ˙ ˙
16A
IS CHRISTENDOM THE
ANTITYPICAL JERUSALEM?
SEE PARAGRAPHS 12, 13

In the past, our literature has referred to Christendom
as the antitype of apostate Jerusalem. The
conditions in unfaithful Jerusalem—including idolatry
and widespread corruption—certainly remind us
of what is happening in Christendom. However, in
recent years our publications, including the one you
are now reading, have not taken the type-antitype
approach to prophecy except where the Bible provides
a clear basis for doing so. Is there a solid
Scriptural basis for referring to Christendom as the
antitypical Jerusalem? No.

Consider the following: Jerusalem was at one
time a center of pure worship; later, its inhabitants
turned apostate. By contrast, Christendom has
never practiced pure worship. Right from its inception
in the fourth century C.E., Christendom has
always taught false doctrine.

In addition, after Jerusalem was destroyed by the
Babylonians, Jehovah restored the city to his favor
and it again became the center of true worship.
Christendom, on the other hand, has never had
God’s favor, and once it is destroyed during the
great tribulation, it will never rise again.

In view of the foregoing, what may we conclude?
When we examine Bible prophecies that were fulfilled
on unfaithful Jerusalem, we may say, ‘This or that
reminds us of what we see in Christendom today.’
But there appears to be no Scriptural basis for referring
to Christendom as the antitypical Jerusalem.

The underlined bit there (mine) actually crashes a lot of the long held beliefs. Who is going to notice?

Well you know .. this is kinda like .. and "it reminds me of of ... once upon a time ..

It's quite meaty great mind involving stuff. However they have it as the last half hour on a Wed night here and peoples are simply dozing off. Its a tarvesty and a mockery of the highest order!

Bobcat

#180 Post by Bobcat » 4 weeks ago

Hi Dajo1,

If you saw my links in my post just above you may see that I heartily disagree with WT. For example, in Ezek 5, Ezekiel is to divide the hairs into parts. The three major parts suffer a bad ending. But a few strands are saved in his belt for protection. The mass of hair pictures both apostate Jews and the few good ones.

WT's mistake is their own arrogance. One only has to look in their own recent past to see false ideas aplenty. But they assume that they alone are true and everyone else is false. Jesus said the wheat and weeds are separated at the conclusion of the system of things when the angels are sent forth to do this. (Mt 13:40-42) That this is not "the last days" when this happens can be seen from the fact that the weeds are dealt with first. (Mt 13:30)

It makes more sense to me to see Christianity as a whole, good and bad together, awaiting Jesus' return where he will settle who is faithful, and who is not. (Mt 24:45-51; 25:1-12; 14-30) The WT has decided to do that for him. Why wait? is their maxim. Part of the WT's view has to do with how organizationally centric they are. In contrast, in the NT, each must stand on their own. (2Co 5:10)

Another factor that blurs WT's viewpoint is that they see "the great city" of Rev 16:19a as being Babylon the Great.

Incidentally, this post shows the chiastic structure of that portion of Ezekiel.

Bobcat