Chiastic Structure in the Book of Esther

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Chiastic Structure in the Book of Esther

#1 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

Here is a page that discusses chasmus found in the book of Esther. Also, if you back up the address chain you will find discussions on chiasmus in many of the books of the Bible.

Here is a thread we had on Esther. Chiastic structure was referred to, but the thread had a broader discussion.

I have some personal hope that the book of Esther may have some greater role in Biblical/prophetic understanding. But I haven't had the time to devote to it (yet).

Here is an index to chiastic structures in the whole Bible. Links to chiasm in other Bible books can be found there.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

Re: Chiastic Structure in the Book of Esther

#2 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

There is a brief (two page) breakdown/discussion of chiasm in the book of Esther in PDF format here.

Note particularly the end notes in which the author compares the events of the book of Esther with God's grander purpose. Very interesting! (Compare also the experimental chiasm in this post. It has a similar center point as the author of the PDF has.)

I'm wondering if there is possibly a vague personal comparison that can be made:
Ahasuerus = Jehovah

Haman = Satan

Mordecai = Jesus (Both being older than Esther/The woman)

Esther = The woman of Gen 3:15 & Rev 12

It's speculative at this point, to be sure. Not sure to what extent the comparisons would hold up. There is some vague similarities to how events unfold in Daniel 6 (for which see this post and the 3rd paragraph under the chiastic structure of Dan 2 thru 7). In Dan 6 the rulers conspire to kill Daniel. But events are reversed in the end.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#3 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

I'm wondering if there is possibly a vague personal comparison that can be made:
Ahasuerus = Jehovah

Haman = Satan

Mordecai = Jesus (Both being older than Esther/The woman)

Esther = The woman of Gen 3:15 & Rev 12

I'm thinking of amending this to:

Ahasuerus = Jehovah

Haman = Satan

Mordecai = The seed of the woman (Gal 3:16, 29; Rev 12: 5, 13, 17)

Vashti/Esther = The woman of Gen 3:15 & Rev 12 (Where the New Covenant [Esther] replaces the Old Covenant [Vashti]; Mt 21:43; Gal 4:21-31)

This is all still totally speculative, exploratory, whatever you might call it. But it is interesting . . .

I'm hoping that if this shapes up/holds up there might be other gems to be found here.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Poster goghtherefore provided a reference on another thread (here) to Appendix 60 in the Companion Bible which has a write-up on the Tetragram being in the book of Esther 4 times in hidden acrostic format (Est 1:20; 5:4, 13; 7:7). The article can be found here.

He also provided a link to acrostics in the Hebrew Bible: Here.

Thank you goghtherefore!

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Stranger

#5 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 year ago
Poster goghtherefore provided a reference on another thread (here) to Appendix 60 in the Companion Bible which has a write-up on the Tetragram being in the book of Esther 4 times in hidden acrostic format. The article can be found here.

Hey Bobcat,

Since the YHWH Tetragram has been being discussed here lately, I wanted to run this by.

Could the YHWH be a tribal signet possibly from the Tribe of Judah? Or possibly the unknown 13TH tribe yet to be introduced?

You may remember in Esther's story, Mordecai is awarded the King's Signet Ring when Haman has to give up the position he had.

Stranger (Esther 8:2)

Bobcat

#6 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Stranger,
. . . when Haman has to give up the position he had.

Interestingly, after losing his job, Haman decided to hang around. (Est 7:10) :whistle:

Not sure about YHWH and the signet ring. The book of Esther still has me wondering about a possible antitypical storyline. The king's signet ring would authorize the holder to act in behalf of the king. That is why I thought there might be a connection between Ahasuerus (as Jehovah) and Mordecai (as Jesus). But I am still in the 'wondering' stage on this. I figured I would mull it over for a while and see what comes up.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Stranger

#7 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 year ago
Interestingly, after losing his job, Haman decided to hang around. (Est 7:10)

Yes, but I'm not so sure it was his decision to hang around at the height of between 740 feet to 1000 feet in the air depending on which cubit is being used for measurement.(Esther 7:9).

Stranger (2 Chr 3:3)

Stranger

#8 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago
Yes, but I'm not so sure it was his decision to hang around at the height of between 740 feet to 1000 feet in the air depending on which cubit is being used for measurement.(Esther 7:9).

Whoops, I forgot to put the decimal point in there: 74.0 to 100.0 ft would be more accurate.

If they used an Egyptian cubit it would be a little taller than 100 ft!

Stranger

Stranger

#9 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Stranger wrote:
1 year ago
If they used an Egyptian cubit it would be a little taller than 100 ft!

Wrong again, I'll just say somewhere between 74 and 87 feet.

Stranger

Bobcat

#10 Post by Bobcat » 4 months ago

What follows is the chiastic structure of the entire book of Esther as proposed in The Literary Structure of the Old Testament (David Dorsey).

Dorsey points out that the Book of Esther is a grand chiasm centered on the honoring of Mordecai by the King. He also points out that each half of this chiasm is itself a chiasm, the first centering on Haman’s plot and the second on the foiling of the plot.
A. King’s feast (Est 1:1-22)

. . B. Esther becomes queen (Est 2:1-18)

. . . . C. King’s life is saved (Est 2:19-23)

. . . . . . D. Haman’s plot (Est 3:1-4:3)

. . . . . . . . E. Mordecai learns of Haman’s plot, asks Esther to risk her life (Est 4:4-17)

. . . . . . . . . . F. Esther’s first banquet (Est 5:1-14)

. . . . . . . . . . . . X. The King’s insomnia and Haman honors Mordecai (Est 6:1-14) (PIVOT)

. . . . . . . . . . F^ Esther’s second banquet (Est 7:1-10)Est

. . . . . . . . E^ Mordecai and Esther given Haman’s estate (Est 8:1-2)

. . . . . . D^ Haman’s plot foiled (Est 8:3-17)

. . . . C^ Jews’ lives are saved (Est 9:1-10)

. . B^ Esther gains second day of deliverance for the Jews (Est 9:11-19)

A^ Jews’ feast of Purim (9:20-10:3)

I'll post the chiastic structure of each half in another post. In the meantime, here is a brief PDF (2 pages) with some finer details on the literary structure within Esther. In the comments, the writer alludes to God's hand in the outworking of history. His comments about the larger purpose of the book of Esther reminded me of this post

Bobcat

Return to Main Index